Wave Manuel - FREE stereophonic waveshaping synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Wave Manuel

rafa1981 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:06 am Notice that Phenoms don't support SSE4. I had to update because of that.
As far as I understand, it's SSE4.2 it doesn't support (supported version is SSE4a). Which has so far mainly been a problem with updated u-he synths (at least BazilleCM). I'm planning an upgrade, but I first have to secure the funding. There are some higher priorities ...

+++ One Synth Challenge Track with Wave Manuel +++
Hope you guys in this thread already got informed that Wave Manuel is the featured synth of the Dec 22 One Synth Challenge.
Here's my submission:
https://soundcloud.com/p-e-t-e-r-h/holy ... paign=asdf

Enjoy and let me know what you think.

Cheers
] Peter:H [

SeBaer wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:51 am As far as I understand, it's SSE4.2 it doesn't support (supported version is SSE4a). Which has so far mainly been a problem with updated u-he synths (at least BazilleCM). I'm planning an upgrade, but I first have to secure the funding. There are some higher priorities ...
Absolutely. Buying something of the last generation (1-2 year old) runs plugins with a lot of headroom, but priorities are indeed priorities.

I had a Phenom x4 965 and the new machine (5800x) I run at 88kHz with a lot of CPU headroom. Never maxing.

What happened with SSE4a is that no one targets it, just Intel's SSE.

Oh damn, this seems to make my computer explode when I put multiple instances in a session :(

AMD 5950x cpu

First of all, congratulations on releasing your own synth! :)

For a while it was running nicely in Reaper but then I managed to make it crash. I guess it will be hard to reproduce but in my case it happened while I was tweaking a patch while having the synth play. It crashed when I pulled down the FM slider.

Here are some proposals for additional features:
  • It seems that the oscillator is free running which makes it impossible to get consistent sounds, e.g. for drums patches. Please consider to add a "Retrigger" option and perhaps also the option to set the initial phase.
  • The phase relationship for the modulation of the stereo voices seems to be hard coded to 180 degrees. Here it would also be nice to have some control over the phase because for some patches, e.g. basses, one might not want to have any phasing between the channels.
  • Due to the limited space it can be hard to change the values of the "ring knobs" behind the main knobs. Here it might help to reuse the area of the main knobs and to change the value of the ring knobs when a modifier key, e.g. ALT, is pressed.
  • Fine tuning seems to only change when a new note is played. It would be nice if it could be modulated while playing a note.
Passed 303 posts. Next stop: 808.

briefcasemanx wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:29 am This synth rules!!! I love using it and messing around. It's intuitive and easy and mellow sounding. The oscilloscope thing is cool!

A couple additions that I think would make this the perfect little synth:

- an envelope modulator for Pitch, like there is for Saturation, Filter, FM, etc. Just an extra one of those for Pitch.
- an envelope for each of the LFO's (maybe right click on an LFO and an envelope pops up for that LFO)
- a "delay" parameter for the Vibrato, Roland style!
- A delay parameter for all the modulation envelopes. This can *kind of* be achieve by adjusting the attack curve, but then you're locked into a certain attack shape
- glide and legato
To the top! :tu:
I would dare to add a proper oscillator retrigger here, including for mono without clicks. And I would be very happy if Pitch Bend had a range of +-48; with the sounds of this incredible synthesizer, such expression would be very useful!

Any mathemetician get drum sounds out of this?
I am merely a musician.

So it's designed for a purist synth fiddler?

Smasha wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:12 pm So it's designed for a purist synth fiddler?
Not really - but definitely not designed for drums. It's a tool to create playable synth sounds, somewhat different to most synths and the documentation is lacking at the moment. So currently it needs adventurous mindset but it seems some people like the WM sound design style.

I'm really impressed of drums and percussion sounds in the OSC songs since WM does not have a pitch envelope! Interesting trickery, properly abusing the synth :D

Lots of good comments and ideas in this thread, I'll get back to those when I get the time!

PauliIndie wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:41 pm Lots of good comments and ideas in this thread, I'll get back to those when I get the time!
I hope you find the time...
I consider this a bug, but Pitch Bend only listens to Channel 1. That makes it a bit more complicated to create MPE behaviour with multiple instances.

What is great, is the ability to set ranges for peak and idle levels. But I can only modulate the idle level. If I could only modulate the peak level, I would be in heaven, because that is what velocity should (has to) modulate - I need that desperately , it would set this synth apart from the huge pack that is restricted to ADSR envelopes... For expressive playing you need to have sustain independent of the peak of an envelope...!!! Hit a note soft, and then apply aftertouch to make it louder than the attack! That means I also want to be able to set the peak level in the amplitude envelope...
And of course, if you make the whole interface one slider wider, a pitch envelope would be welcome as well...

BlitBit wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:02 pm
  • It seems that the oscillator is free running which makes it impossible to get consistent sounds, e.g. for drums patches. Please consider to add a "Retrigger" option and perhaps also the option to set the initial phase.
  • The phase relationship for the modulation of the stereo voices seems to be hard coded to 180 degrees. Here it would also be nice to have some control over the phase because for some patches, e.g. basses, one might not want to have any phasing between the channels.
  • Due to the limited space it can be hard to change the values of the "ring knobs" behind the main knobs. Here it might help to reuse the area of the main knobs and to change the value of the ring knobs when a modifier key, e.g. ALT, is pressed.
  • Fine tuning seems to only change when a new note is played. It would be nice if it could be modulated while playing a note.
Thanks for feedback!

Retrigger option is coming since it's frequently requested! I usually prefer free running oscillators (and other subtle random things) but yes, it's better when there's a retrigger option.

The stereo envelopes are always 180 but with moderate stereo modulation the low frequencies don't wobble, pan or cancel too much (like what happens with two detuned oscillators). I'll think about the phase control and how it could be implemented in the UI but not yet sure if it will be implemented.

That modifier key for ring control could be done. Also there will be "fine control" modifier key (shift or control) where you can edit envelopes with 10x resolution.

I'll fix the fine tune control when I have the time :)

Tj Shredder wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:31 am
PauliIndie wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:41 pm Lots of good comments and ideas in this thread, I'll get back to those when I get the time!
I hope you find the time...
I consider this a bug, but Pitch Bend only listens to Channel 1. That makes it a bit more complicated to create MPE behaviour with multiple instances.

What is great, is the ability to set ranges for peak and idle levels. But I can only modulate the idle level. If I could only modulate the peak level, I would be in heaven, because that is what velocity should (has to) modulate - I need that desperately , it would set this synth apart from the huge pack that is restricted to ADSR envelopes... For expressive playing you need to have sustain independent of the peak of an envelope...!!! Hit a note soft, and then apply aftertouch to make it louder than the attack! That means I also want to be able to set the peak level in the amplitude envelope...
And of course, if you make the whole interface one slider wider, a pitch envelope would be welcome as well...
I received my Linnstrument 128 last weekend. I've been trying out Surge's "Linnstrument MPE" patches, this is exciting technology! I'll be fixing the pitch bend issue first and then look how to implement assigning MPE Pressure and MPE Timbre in WM.

PauliIndie wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:41 pm I received my Linnstrument 128 last weekend. I've been trying out Surge's "Linnstrument MPE" patches, this is exciting technology! I'll be fixing the pitch bend issue first and then look how to implement assigning MPE Pressure and MPE Timbre in WM.
Congratulations and welcome in the club. You might find that having the peak value modulated by velocity would make it the perfect fit for the LinnStrument. (Even better than Surge…; - )
I guess you came along this already, but it can‘t hurt:
https://www.rogerlinndesign.com/support ... to-add-mpe

Btw. playing again, I found that I could modulate the peak level. But what this option completely destroys, is that modulating the sustain moves peak and idle with it. Sorry I need those completely independent. That was actually the reason I thought that I could not modulate the peak, by moving the peak in the user interface it changed multiple values including the idle level, and that showed up as being changed the last...
It does not make sense to link those values. Modulating one of those destroys the presets sort of...
Having at least peak for the amplitude would be gorgeous. A non zero idle level isn't necessary, but would open the use as a drone, which would sound without having a note playing...

Hi Pauli - just chiming in to say that I've really enjoyed using WM this month for the OSC. It's capable of a really wide range of decent sounds. Great stuff. Pretty stable here too, Win10/Reaper.

An FR to add to the other requests. Mouse Wheel control on all gui elements, it's a right pain in the hoop when setting FM ratios via menus especially :-)

Return to “Instruments”