32GB ram on laptop - necessary or overkill for music production and sound design?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I know that the CPU is also an essential component when it comes to using cpu intensive plugins, but if I would get a new laptop, is 16GB ram enough, or is 32GB ram a better investment?

If I would have 30+ CPU intensive plugins in a project (for example 30 Serum VSTs), would it suffer with 16GB ram? This is something I wouldn't know since I can't test it.

I am on a 16 GB RAM MacBook Pro and I do suffer the occasion CPU overload in Logic. Also I sometimes get glitches on midi playback in heavier sessions . Next computer ideally I am hoping for 32 GB.

Generally 16 GB is fine for synth plugins like Serum, but if you use a lot of large sample libraries (orchestral Kontakt libraries etc.) it can become an issue. When you run out of RAM, the computer uses the hard drive/SSD as virtual memory, and since this is a lot slower everything grind to a halt. As long as you're not using all your RAM, adding more does nothing for performance.
For me, it would depend on the price. RAM is fairly cheap these days, so if it's only a small premium for 32 GB, I would do it just for future-proofing if nothing else.

16 GB will be enough to run soft synths.

MissOptimyst wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:58 am I am on a 16 GB RAM MacBook Pro and I do suffer the occasion CPU overload in Logic. Also I sometimes get glitches on midi playback in heavier sessions .
I'd say it's quite likely shortage of RAM is NOT the cause here.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:36 pm
MissOptimyst wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:58 am I am on a 16 GB RAM MacBook Pro and I do suffer the occasion CPU overload in Logic. Also I sometimes get glitches on midi playback in heavier sessions .
I'd agree with Bert.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

if you use big sample libraries more ram is better for sure. my guess is that even 32gb ram is more than enough for the biggest actual libraries. a good cpu and ssd infrastructure plus proper os settings is far more important to avoid pesky little malfunctions for audio data streams.

whyterabbyt wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:23 pm
BertKoor wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:36 pm
I'd agree with Bert.
I agree with whyterabbyt agreeing with Bert.

It’s called a “CPU overload” and not a “RAM Overload” for a reason lol. Also if playback glitching/ crackling was caused by the RAM, you wouldn’t need more RAM, you’d need new RAM lol.

It’s most likely the CPU and the buffer size settings.

If you're on the windows side, 32 GB is probably around 80 USD. That's not breaking the bank, I'd presume.

Most Windows based laptops let you upgrade the RAM. See if it comes with extra memory slots and is upgradable to 32 GB. In some cases, laptops even come with a single stick of RAM which can be paired with another for cheap (just make sure you get the same speed RAM). In others you can swap what is there for higher capacity memory.

I'd go with 32 GB if you can. One less issue for the future of that system.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”