Plogue OPS7 (bit-accurate DX7 emulation!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
chipsynth OPS7

Yup. Plogue synths are awesome. I love their chip synth series.

gentleclockdivider wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:56 pm[...]Edit , I think found a bug
Repeatedly play a note with a single operator enabled and set the envelope to the following settings

[... pic with env rates 99 0 68 76 env levels 99 99 55 0 ...]

Result , most of the times it's short decay but sometimes there is an audible sustain phase before the decay (see screenshot)
This particularity is present on the original DX7 as well. The DX7 doesn't really have the concept of "length 0 envelope segment" (segments that have the same level as previous so they can be skipped)... it always steps at least once on every segment no matter what - and sometimes a couple times depending on exact envelope state. At rate 0 the steps are fairly spaced out so the exact pattern depends on a global clock and varies from note to note. This magnifies the natural envelope variation of the DX7, and OPS7 emulates this.

I'm not sure if this is something I'm just missing, but is there no global indication of which layers are active?

If I flip through the main presets, for example (not the sub-presets per layer), some of the patches are layers of A + B, but some are just A, but there is no indication of whether the patches use one or both layers - I have to flip between A and B to see which layers are active to determine this (if it's not obvious from the sound itself, of course).

I would have thought that maybe the A / B buttons up top would have some visual indicator when they are active, so you could see at a glance the state of both the layers, but turning the layers on/off in the main GUI (using the dot/button) gives no visual indication of their status...

Hi there,

I just had a question for any OPS7 users: I can't seem to cycle between presets with the arrow keys - either on the SYSEX page, all columns, or the presets menu - and I just wanted to check whether that was the case for everyone? I seem to remember being able to - and I think that I saw something in the patch notes a few versions ago to that effect - but I might just be misremembering! Just in case, I'm on version 1.105 in Ableton Live 10.1.43 on Windows 10.

ohdoubleu wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:40 pm Hi there,

I just had a question for any OPS7 users: I can't seem to cycle between presets with the arrow keys - either on the SYSEX page, all columns, or the presets menu
works here: mac osx, mojave logic or hostingAU, AU, OPSv1.105

main presets
A or B preset and
sysex - only the presets themself - not the collumns

up/down as well as left/right arrow keys

i have to "preselect" or "focus" the cursor to the preselt-selector-box first though - logic is a little bit pesky in this regards...

muki wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:19 am
ohdoubleu wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:40 pm Hi there,

I just had a question for any OPS7 users: I can't seem to cycle between presets with the arrow keys - either on the SYSEX page, all columns, or the presets menu
works here: mac osx, mojave logic or hostingAU, AU, OPSv1.105

main presets
A or B preset and
sysex - only the presets themself - not the collumns

up/down as well as left/right arrow keys

i have to "preselect" or "focus" the cursor to the preselt-selector-box first though - logic is a little bit pesky in this regards...
Ah, thanks! At least I'm not misremembering the arrow behavior. The plugin window seems to recognize keystrokes, as I am able to type in parameter values once I click on them, but no amount of clicking in the presets menu/SYSEX presets page seems to bring arrow focus to them - though double-clicking on a preset in either A/B column (in non-extended mode) allows me to rename them and use the arrows to change where I type within that field...

how it works for me:

insert op7
open plugin window
click the main presets dropdown menu and select the "init" preset
hit the right or down arrow key..."Bass Plucks" gets selected

muki wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:52 pm how it works for me:

insert op7
open plugin window
click the main presets dropdown menu and select the "init" preset
hit the right or down arrow key..."Bass Plucks" gets selected
Indeed, that is exactly the behavior that I would expect (v1.003 had this exact line in the changelog 'Fixed: Arrow keys can change selection in FILE/A/B/HW SYX banks'), and it is definitely not working like that for me so I'll contact support as the next step. Thanks for your help!

Just got your email.
Ableton Live seems to "eat" those keys and the plugin windows never receives them, not sure what we can do about this.
Regards
David Viens, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
https://twitter.com/plgDavid
https://plogue.com

davidv@plogue wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:39 pm Just got your email.
Ableton Live seems to "eat" those keys and the plugin windows never receives them, not sure what we can do about this.
Regards
Ah, OK. Thanks for the quick reply, I appreciate it, and for your help.

All the best!

Hi, arrow keys seem to work as expected on Mac Live / OPS7, but on Windows you may need to add _EnsureKeyMessagesForPlugins entry in Live's Options.txt file. more info here: https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... s-txt-file

br, Jari

jariseon wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:07 pm Hi, arrow keys seem to work as expected on Mac Live / OPS7, but on Windows you may need to add _EnsureKeyMessagesForPlugins entry in Live's Options.txt file. more info here: https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... s-txt-file

br, Jari
Ah right. I swear I knew about this at some point. Thanks jariseon
[EDIT] solved the problem on my machine
David Viens, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
https://twitter.com/plgDavid
https://plogue.com

Thanks for the reminder on Options.txt! Sadly, I enabled the setting but now OPS7 'steals' the keyboard focus so that Ableton no longer responds to, say, Space to stop and start transport whilst OPS7 is open or active. Also, being a global Live setting, I now get that 'stealing' behavior in all plugins (and by all manufacturers), even ones where arrows were working fine to cycle presets (u-he Repro-5 is what I used to test for example).

The lead is appreciated, but it's probably a little too 'all-or-nothing'!

One of the great synth add-ons to the FM synths such as Algoritm (or Arturia version) is a macro that can quickly increase or decrease envelopes (decay and release if you will)...which affects envelopes and sound.

See my screenshot and look at PARAMETER OFFSET. I guess that alone would make a synth more friendly to operate than to explain where's ADSR in the operator of OPS7...

Another winner is that you pick and decide what to randomize.

But just something as PARAMETER OFFSET would be a cool workflow thing in OPS7 (if possible to do)
web.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Or the cool "Morph" capabilities of FM8
fm8.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Instruments”