Tone2 or Parawave Rapid? Both with expansions

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Since it's a NFR license, I would probably only consider Rapid if it was on sale for at least 65% off. But probably closer to 85%.
OR, if it was part of some charity auction. My mind has an easier time dealing with the eventual conclusions of software when I know it went to help a cause.

The reason that Tone2 sounds different from the rest is because of the whole psycho-acoustic thing. Which they actually implement well and above other companies that just use it as a buzz term and don't seem to really understand it.

I no longer own any Tone 2 plugin, and being able to sell it when a need arises is what makes it a better financial choice IMO. I would definitely buy certain ones again though. The support and communication were stellar.

Still avoiding Rapid, but either company and any plugin seems like a reasonable choice.

syntonica wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:41 pm
astralprojection wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:35 pm So what we can learn here is that it's 50/50 and it comes down to who you should listen to.
Whats funny is I've heard exactly the same said about both. One guy said Icarus is miles ahead.. Granted he don't seem to know what he's talking about. Then we've seen people say rapid is miles ahead.
So are these topics meaningless?
Only if you haven't already done the demo in question, if available. Even if we have lived with a software for a week, a month, a year, do we really know it?
i dont know what this means

Apples and oranges. I have both and use them for completely different things.

wagtunes wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:10 pm Apples and oranges. I have both and use them for completely different things.
sure you do. i bet you use icarus for a bleep and rapid for a bloop.
your comment couldnt be more meaningless

astralprojection wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:15 pm
wagtunes wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:10 pm Apples and oranges. I have both and use them for completely different things.
Sorry I didn't go into more detail.

Tone 2 Synths - Primarily Icarus 2, Rayblaster and Saurus - Used mostly for pop and new age/ambient.

Rapid - Used solely for EDM.

Now, the why for each decision is way too complex to get into and quite honestly, as nasty as this place gets, I refuse to spend that much time on it. In fact, I've already spent way too much time on this already.

To the OP, to answer your question, it all depends on what you're looking to get out of whatever synth you purchase. All I know is I would never buy Rapid if all I did was ambient. That isn't where its strength lies. Yes, that's my opinion. I'm sure others will disagree.

At the end of the day, listen to both and get the one that you like better. There is absolutely nobody here who can tell you which one will suit you better unless you are very specific about what you are looking for.

Wagtunes -
You didn't read the last page im assuming. Where the discussion lied in this whole discussion being meaningless.. Your comment certainly didn't add any aha moments let's just say. Nor did your clarification. Still meaningless. No offence to you. Its just the nature of this realisation. Everything said here is meaningless, only trying them out to see what you like makes sense. Everything else is bla bla bla.

astralprojection wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:57 pm Wagtunes -
You didn't read the last page im assuming. Where the discussion lied in this whole discussion being meaningless.. Your comment certainly didn't add any aha moments let's just say. Nor did your clarification. Still meaningless. No offence to you. Its just the nature of this realisation. Everything said here is meaningless, only trying them out to see what you like makes sense. Everything else is bla bla bla.
Whether or not something is meaningless is a matter of opinion. I get something out of every discussion I have, even if it's nothing more than the person I'm talking to is not somebody I'd choose to share a meal with.

Although I prefer Icarus but Rapid for 90 euro is a great price IMO even if it's NFR. Actually, it's better to be NFR! So you get stuck with it, learn it and use it 🤔

There is no logic in buying sometimes! If you really like it a lot and think you are going to use it a lot, then buy it! This is my new strategy :hihi:
I compared the demo yesterday to what i have, so personally, I like PhasePlant, Massive X and Icarus more (sound especially), but it's a matter of taste! Although, sometimes the majority agree on one taste, but even if I find myself vs the majority, I still enjoy my taste and not change it for the sake to be in agreement with the majority!

It's nice though to listen to other opinions and while demoing the synth, trying to hear what they are saying, then make your mind if you like it or not.

wagtunes wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:07 pm
astralprojection wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:57 pm Wagtunes -
Whether or not something is meaningless is a matter of opinion. I get something out of every discussion I have, even if it's nothing more than the person I'm talking to is not somebody I'd choose to share a meal with.
Sometimes opinions add up to something called consensus. And I'm sure we'd have a great meal together. Well ok probably not.
EnGee wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:12 pm It's nice though to listen to other opinions and while demoing the synth, trying to hear what they are saying, then make your mind if you like it or not.
But if person a says " synth a is better by miles
And then person b says," synth b is better by miles "
What then? :roll:

EnGee wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:12 pm

It's nice though to listen to other opinions and while demoing the synth, trying to hear what they are saying, then make your mind if you like it or not.
its also about sharing experiences, someone may not just present words, but audio or video too (as has been done) which helps give more of an insight, it can help us hear it in ways we may not have heard in the on site demo tracks which are often a lot simpler and made to showcase the instrument, so wont necessarily sit it in a mix as we might in use.
and sometimes its just nice to talk about gear :shrug:

Well I came out of this thread more confused about my choice than I had going in

wagtunes wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:40 pm
astralprojection wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:15 pm
Sorry I didn't go into more detail.

Tone 2 Synths - Primarily Icarus 2, Rayblaster and Saurus - Used mostly for pop and new age/ambient.

Rapid - Used solely for EDM.

Now, the why for each decision is way too complex to get into and quite honestly, as nasty as this place gets, I refuse to spend that much time on it. In fact, I've already spent way too much time on this already.

To the OP, to answer your question, it all depends on what you're looking to get out of whatever synth you purchase. All I know is I would never buy Rapid if all I did was ambient. That isn't where its strength lies. Yes, that's my opinion. I'm sure others will disagree.

At the end of the day, listen to both and get the one that you like better. There is absolutely nobody here who can tell you which one will suit you better unless you are very specific about what you are looking for.
Might have to agree with you here...
Even leads me to consider whether any more of my reading time should be spent on Rapid. EDM in general is something I try to avoid in my work and relegate any completed work that ends up that way into a folder that I don't replay. IMO, EDM is one of those genres where even the most unskilled can assemble something to tickle their genitalia. Though I sometimes like the patches, I wonder if it's the sound that ultimately lends to the genre and not the other around. Maybe Hive 2 is my only acceptable plugin for this. And it can cross genres well.
The Tone 2 synths I most often consider and see as different enough to not overlap or be redundant are Rayblaster (which I've owned before) and Icarus (which I've yet to own).
TBH, I never quite clicked with Electra or Nemesis and never owned Saurus or Warlock. I loved Gladiator, but think it has too much overlap with other plugins I now prefer.

And my feelings for Rapid concerning price and licensing still stand. Now I'll be keeping this in mind as well.

And like you, think this discussion can quickly become a futile waste of time.
Last edited by BBFG# on Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

astralprojection wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:14 pm
But if person a says " synth a is better by miles
And then person b says," synth b is better by miles "
What then? :roll:
If you can't decide for yourself! Then flip a coin doh! :roll:

@vurt: exactly! It's why we are here in the first place :)

I just started trying the Icarus demo and it timed out after about 3 mintutes and can't be restarted by deleting and opening a new instance. Wtf?
Every day takes figuring out all over again how to f#ckin’ live.

astralprojection wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:27 pm Well I came out of this thread more confused about my choice than I had going in
That's normal for this kind of threads. :D

Return to “Instruments”