Amplifier for headphone

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Jolaff
KVRian
Topic Starter
722 posts since 25 Jan, 2014

Post Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:09 pm

Where to start...

I have some DT 990 Pro 250 ohm headphone plugged into an Audient iD14 audio interface that is plugged into my MacMini via USB.

I never have to set the volume to maximum for my headphone but I'm not to far from (the max).

I recently tried my headphone at a friend's home in a home theater amp and I felt my headphone to sound better than usual. I don't know if it was only in my head...

That bring me to think that maybe I should buy an amplifier to drive my headphone...

How much should I pay ? Do you have one to recommend ?

Also, I though that I would have to add the amp in my chain between the headphone and the Audient. But when I look at something like the FiiO K7 amp, it looks like I would have to plug the amp in the computer via usb, which would mean that the amp literally replace the audio interface ?

thanx...

BertKoor
KVRAF
14241 posts since 8 Mar, 2005 from Utrecht, Holland

Post Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:08 pm

A good diy headphone amp kit (eg CMOY) is maybe $15 in parts. Ready in a box: over $150 because target audience is audiophiles with more money than sense.

When plugging in a headphone amp into usb, is that for power only, or does it function as an audio interface? The owners manual should explain...
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”