Wavesfactory releases Quantum - Beyond the transient shaper

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
User avatar
LKBorg
KVRist
51 posts since 27 Jan, 2022

Post Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:24 pm

Hej, what is peoples experience so far with this tool, it's very interesting but I can't make up my mind about it?
I'm mostly interested in things like sound-design, using it on synths or vocals and other tonal stuff to make funky things.

User avatar
Fleer
KVRAF
5292 posts since 23 Aug, 2014 from Boston/Cambridge

Post Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:20 pm

Just got this (a bit late I know) and it’s a multifaceted sound design tool indeed. Pretty pretty good. And a pretty GUI to boot.

Ploki
KVRAF
6086 posts since 17 Dec, 2009

Post Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:21 am

it's wonderful indeed, however due to their resale policy, i'm reserved about WavesFactory plugins.
still like them, but wont buy them on an impulse anymore.
Image

Rickskii
KVRist
371 posts since 30 Jan, 2015

Post Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:13 am

Ploki wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:21 am it's wonderful indeed, however due to their resale policy, i'm reserved about WavesFactory plugins.
still like them, but wont buy them on an impulse anymore.
Never knew that. So, by my calculation and based on the sale price of Quantum today you would have to sell the licence for £79.50 to just break even.

(Make up the difference between sale and full price plus £15).

Ploki
KVRAF
6086 posts since 17 Dec, 2009

Post Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:45 am

Rickskii wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:13 am
Ploki wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:21 am it's wonderful indeed, however due to their resale policy, i'm reserved about WavesFactory plugins.
still like them, but wont buy them on an impulse anymore.
Never knew that. So, by my calculation and based on the sale price of Quantum today you would have to sell the licence for £79.50 to just break even.

(Make up the difference between sale and full price plus £15).
yeah. great plugins but a bit of a turnoff.
wanted to sell trackspacer at one point, and to break even i'd need to sell it for more than the price is new when not on sale.
If i sold it for less, i'd practically be paying WF to lose the license so i just kept it.

i own Cassette, trackspacer and Spectre
Image

User avatar
El°HYM
KVRian
1444 posts since 21 Nov, 2015

Post Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:43 am

Ploki wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:45 am
Rickskii wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:13 am
Ploki wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:21 am it's wonderful indeed, however due to their resale policy, i'm reserved about WavesFactory plugins.
still like them, but wont buy them on an impulse anymore.
Never knew that. So, by my calculation and based on the sale price of Quantum today you would have to sell the licence for £79.50 to just break even.

(Make up the difference between sale and full price plus £15).

yeah. great plugins but a bit of a turnoff.
wanted to sell trackspacer at one point, and to break even i'd need to sell it for more than the price is new when not on sale.
If i sold it for less, i'd practically be paying WF to lose the license so i just kept it.

i own Cassette, trackspacer and Spectre
I know you like Spectre, but how is Cassette?
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

Ploki
KVRAF
6086 posts since 17 Dec, 2009

Post Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:47 am

El°HYM wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:43 am

I know you like Spectre, but how is Cassette?
oh it's wonderful!
and actually extremely close to the actual cassette deck i have in my studio. So close, i generally don't bother turning it on unless i'm messing with clients or making insta stories. :lol:
Image

User avatar
El°HYM
KVRian
1444 posts since 21 Nov, 2015

Post Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:48 am

Ploki wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:47 am
El°HYM wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:43 am

I know you like Spectre, but how is Cassette?
oh it's wonderful!
and actually extremely close to the actual cassette deck i have in my studio. So close, i generally don't bother turning it on unless i'm messing with clients or making insta stories. :lol:
Actually my old Hifi - cassette - deck sounds nowhere near to any Tape - plugin I own. Doesnt do Noise, no Warble, plus adds some kind of Harshness in the upper Mids, too. Pretty clean sounding overall; I guess people having no Idea. :phones:

Are the Spectre Algorithms similar or same to the Cassette One?
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

Ploki
KVRAF
6086 posts since 17 Dec, 2009

Post Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:03 am

your deck is too expensive and your tapes are too good. :D
Mine has a consistent few cents flutter, although wow is negligible and crosstalk is decent.

When I use (one of the few i have) type IV metal tapes, the response (Aside flutter) is incredible, pretty much 20-20k crisp with little noise. like using u-he satin lol.

however when i use sony type I, it goes to shit. TDK type I are better.

Also if i drive the preamp (or head?) I get a nice crunch. Also print-through :D haven't seen any plugins with print-through.
Image

User avatar
El°HYM
KVRian
1444 posts since 21 Nov, 2015

Post Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:12 am

Its not, was like $20 bought used and is from the 80s. But you are right of course, there are all the typical Tape - artifacts, just not as noticeable as most people might think. The nearest I get to a tape - plugin soundwise is actually my Dictaphone or Walkman.
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

Ploki
KVRAF
6086 posts since 17 Dec, 2009

Post Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:36 am

Yeah very fair point! Most cassette plugins are like cassette deck if you beat it with a stick. they're faithful up to 15% intensity :D

Although i did have one really f**ked reel to reel that sounded like plugins to 150%
Image

User avatar
El°HYM
KVRian
1444 posts since 21 Nov, 2015

Post Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:28 am

I guess all those 'tape - emulations' are more representing the Idea of what a Tape could 'sound' like, than the actual Thing.

Are the Spectre Algo's similar to their Cassette, to get back on Topic?
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

Ploki
KVRAF
6086 posts since 17 Dec, 2009

Post Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:44 am

"Solid" is somewhat similar.
saturation itself is nothing special in cassette
Image

User avatar
El°HYM
KVRian
1444 posts since 21 Nov, 2015

Post Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:59 am

Ploki wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:44 am "Solid" is somewhat similar.
saturation itself is nothing special in cassette
To be honest, me wasnt too impressed with Cassette, even its a cool Plugin overall. I do have the Echo Cat, which actually delivers a pretty superb Tape - flavor, yet is also kind of unusable for this purpose as minimum Time is always set. So its always slightly off, which is a pity.
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

User avatar
Fleer
KVRAF
5292 posts since 23 Aug, 2014 from Boston/Cambridge

Post Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:28 pm

Love those Wavesfactory plugins. They’re all pretty powerful, especially Trackspacer, Spectre and Quantum. But I do like those tapes too.

Return to “Effects”