Tone2 or Parawave Rapid? Both with expansions

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

astralprojection wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:51 pm
whassup wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:04 am
astralprojection wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:14 pm But if person a says " synth a is better by miles
And then person b says," synth b is better by miles "
What then? :roll:
Then you found two strong opinions. Nothing more, nothing less.
Or as a wise guy in Braveheart stated it: They can't even agree on the color of poo!
And I don't think we have to agree. It's taste. We are all quite a bit different. Cool.
It's not about truth. Only taste.

Peace 8)
And that was my point. Makes it meaningless
Maybe it's lost in translation. What is meaningless to you?

whassup wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:27 pm
astralprojection wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:14 pm But if person a says " synth a is better by miles
Or as a wise guy in Braveheart stated it: They can't even agree on the color of poo!
And I don't think we have to agree. It's taste. We are all quite a bit different. Cool.

Peace 8)
Maybe it's lost in translation. What is meaningless to you?
Opinions when they say opposite things. Just goes to show you have to try it yourself see if it works for you.

I couldn't decide between Rapid or Icarus so I bought them both, Saurus too! I'm happy with my purchases and at this early stage of ownership, I have no hang ups about any one of them making the the others redundant. I like having lots of synths to play with and they all have their strengths and weaknesses.

I think the Granular engine (and bundled granular friendly sample content) is excellent in Rapid, so even if that's the only thing I use it for, it's worth having in my toolbox! Programming the synth is also very comfortable and fun, at least for single layer patches.

Icarus has a greater number and variety of filters and the oscillator play modes and wave modifiers are vast and interesting and it feels like it will be one of those synths where you can just sink hours noodling around with just the oscillators. The UI/workflow is more fiddly/clunky at times compared to Rapid; on my MacBook Air I quite often find myself clicking the wrong section of the interface or not picking up a knob etc, because the margins of the graphical elements are quite tight.

Saurus sounds great and is quick and fun to program; I really like one-page (or as close to) workflow in synths this is a solid implementation. Couldn't tell you how analog it is or not, but it sounds good to me and it's pretty deep for a simple/one-page synth. Lots of variety in the oscillator department, with several shapes all with PWM and a nice variety of filters. I particularly like that the 12 and 24dB lowpass filters have different character and aren't just 2 or 4-pole variants of the same topology. Little touches like this give me warm fuzzy feelings.
Always Read the Manual!

PieBerger wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:29 pmon my MacBook Air I quite often find myself clicking the wrong section of the interface or not picking up a knob etc, because the margins of the graphical elements are quite tight.
Your display is smaller than mine, and I can't fit the GUI on screen. I kept hoping to find a resizing option but there doesn't appear to be one. I think I remember Markus saying something about GUI overhauls across the range, I wonder if resizing/scaling will be implemented.
Every day takes figuring out all over again how to f#ckin’ live.

chagzuki wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:01 pm
PieBerger wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:29 pmon my MacBook Air I quite often find myself clicking the wrong section of the interface or not picking up a knob etc, because the margins of the graphical elements are quite tight.
Your display is smaller than mine, and I can't fit the GUI on screen. I kept hoping to find a resizing option but there doesn't appear to be one. I think I remember Markus saying something about GUI overhauls across the range, I wonder if resizing/scaling will be implemented.
Under the Size menu... which is under the Glide knob.

The default GUI was massive but I scaled down to Small and it just about fits. There is a "Size" button in the top left area of the GUI; bottom row of buttons, directly under the Glide knob (there is a small gap but position wise it's right underneath). If that button isn't visible, try updating to the latest version.
Always Read the Manual!

Aha, awesome.

chagzuki wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:24 pm Aha, awesome.
I nearly wasn't going to buy it because I couldn't find it when I first tried it, RTFM to the rescue :party:
Always Read the Manual!

Peace 8)
Then that pretty much makes 90% of this forum meaningless, short of the technical questions when someone is trying to get a piece of software to work correctly.

If you ask me, that makes for a pretty dull life.

Ha! 90% of all forums are informationally meaningless!
But the entertainment percentage can be fairly high. The beauty of specialized KVR membership is that it supposes that it's mainly musicians and/or musical software developers.
This forum has been my main mitigation to have some musical focus when I'm otherwise experiencing "down time".
Concerning this thread however, it has inspired me to revisit the download/demo of these and even re-open some previous demos to explore again. And for me, I probably won't spend any more time on Rapid and even not much on Tone 2 for now.

Interestingly, I am spending a little more time checking out two DiscoDSP synths. So if they hit with a no-brainier discount sale, my wallet may be in trouble!

Carry on...
And as the Social Modelers say,
"Don't take yourself too seriously".
(Rule 62)

THE INTRANCER wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:52 pm
VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:35 pm
THE INTRANCER wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:37 am Rapid has an advantage in that you don't just get an instrument but also an effects unit for all your other instruments and audio to be processed through.

Also, I designed some new skins for Rapid which are free. You might find one or two much nicer to use than those which are provided.

Find them here.
your skins are the best i've ever seen - do some black/white for Icarus,Viper and Synthmasters...willing to pay 10 euro for each....
Thanks, I have to say that I haven't bought the VSTs, you have mentioned, so my interest in doing skins for them is way down the ladder. Atm, I'm working on skins for Hive 2. Should you have Hive 2, you can find a thread I posted here on KVR and on VI forums to attain a dark skin I created for it.
Yea Hive is nice and useful,may buy i if uhe start to discount their stuff more frequently - these i mentioned have really serious need somebody like u to make new skins,cause default are awful.
Cheers :)
Last edited by VELLTONE MUSIC on Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Am I in your foe list?! For whom I took a screanshot and post it? Talk about not bothering to response here anymore!

EnGee wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:46 pm Am I in your foe list?! For whom I took a screanshot and post it? Talk about not bothering to response here anymore!
Ah no, I was just being slow and at a glance assumed you were using an external monitor... the sort of thing that happens in the distracted state of browsing KvR while trying to demo a synth at the same time which doesn't fit on the screen(!).

Download and spend like 5 min with Rapid - definitely not my cup of whatever.
Not gonna write negative stuff,not bad synth,but filters aren't comparable to Icarus one in any way.
Will wait to see what new synths or upgrades will impress me during 2023.
Probably will write to santa to add some more layers and advanced functions to Icarus hahahaha :)
Cheers :)

chagzuki wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:54 pm
EnGee wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:46 pm Am I in your foe list?! For whom I took a screanshot and post it? Talk about not bothering to response here anymore!
Ah no, I was just being slow and at a glance assumed you were using an external monitor... the sort of thing that happens in the distracted state of browsing KvR while trying to demo a synth at the same time which doesn't fit on the screen(!).
Yes indeed, I use an external monitor as I use mini mac.
Anyway, you might need to show the synth without keyboards so it can fit the best.

Return to “Instruments”