Vital - Released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Vital Vital Ascendant (Vital Content Pack)

aMUSEd wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:27 pm Surely that was a joke
Exactly, understanding Sine - Waves is pretty fundamental.
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

aMUSEd wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:27 pm Surely that was a joke
Surely you give this person too much credit

This is ridiculous.

I have a question related to this Saw wave "discussion." Can anyone direct us to a "better" saw wave. I'm not interested in the the disagreements, but I am interested in a way to improve the sound of Vital. If a better Saw wave will do that, I'm on board. Is there a link where we can download it? Apparently this is possible.

Or am I missing a joke?
Last edited by Reverend Rhythm on Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reverend Rhythm wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:33 pm I have a question related to this Saw wave "discussion." Can anyone direct us to a "better" saw wave. I'm not interested in the the disagreements, but I am interested in a way to improve the sound of Vital. If a better Saw wave will do that, I'm on board. Is there a link where we can download it? Apparently this is possible.
No the point is you can draw whatever waveform you like. Even import one from juno, jupiter or whatever you like.
Then there's people like me who say that don't matter and it won't make it less sharp

Reverend Rhythm wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:33 pm I have a question related to this Saw wave "discussion." Can anyone direct us to a "better" saw wave.
"better" is subjective for sure. You can create "other" saw's easily in the wave table editor.
Just change the harmonics / phase sliders. Also you can google for free wavetables with vintage oscillator waves.

Fannon wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:45 am Maybe age / (natural) hearing loss can also explain some different experiences here?
Over 30 here. Can't hear those harsh frequencies (basically everything above 15-16khz) anyway. Vital sounds good to me :)

Would be interested in which frequency range this happens, with a spectrum analyzer you can at least see / identify that if it is really noticable.
There's no meaningful difference with a spectrum analyzer between Vital and a variety of other synths using a single SAW wave. Playing C4 and C3 and C2 and using the Bitwig Spectrum Device which allows 2 signals at once, I compared Vital with Hive, Dune, Poly Grid (Bitwig), ACE and Icarus.

At 44.1khz, Dune has a touch of roll off that starts at 16 khz and by 20khz is maybe 3 dB down. Vital and Hive are so close one can hardly see that there are 2 curves. ACE is maybe -1dB by 20khz, Icarus is maybe +1dB, PolyGrid is about -4dB at 20khz.

At 48khz Dune is still down a few dB at 20khz and rest are pretty flat.

At 96khz they are all flat to over 30khz.

This is all with filters bypassed. Once you turn filters on, the high end is more affected than differences in this test. Turn one Vital filter on and the high end drops about 7db by 20khz even with the filter fully open.

None of them, including Vital sound harsh in the highs... just slightly more or less energy. And once you are doing sound design, that will define the sound.

pdxindy wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:50 pm
Fannon wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:45 am Maybe age / (natural) hearing loss can also explain some different experiences here?
Over 30 here. Can't hear those harsh frequencies (basically everything above 15-16khz) anyway. Vital sounds good to me :)

Would be interested in which frequency range this happens, with a spectrum analyzer you can at least see / identify that if it is really noticable.
There's no meaningful difference with a spectrum analyzer between Vital and a variety of other synths using a single SAW wave. Playing C4 and C3 and C2 and using the Bitwig Spectrum Device which allows 2 signals at once, I compared Vital with Hive, Dune, Poly Grid (Bitwig), ACE and Icarus.

At 44.1khz, Dune has a touch of roll off that starts at 16 khz and by 20khz is maybe 3 dB down. Vital and Hive are so close one can hardly see that there are 2 curves. ACE is maybe -1dB by 20khz, Icarus is maybe +1dB, PolyGrid is about -4dB at 20khz.

At 48khz Dune is still down a few dB at 20khz and rest are pretty flat.

At 96khz they are all flat to over 30khz.

This is all with filters bypassed. Once you turn filters on, the high end is more affected than differences in this test. Turn one Vital filter on and the high end drops about 7db by 20khz even with the filter fully open.

None of them, including Vital sound harsh in the highs... just slightly more or less energy. And once you are doing sound design, that will define the sound.
Except you are wrong, keep being wrong and I wish you stop lying to people.

Thanks. I'll then leave the saw wave discussion to others.

To the general topic of Vital I'll say I like Vital's workflow. It is easy to use and program. I like the idea of bypassing the delay and reverb (and I'm guessing Chorus/Flange/ and Phase), and using https://kazrog.com/products/synth-warmer/ to warm things up. Then I could external effects. Interesting idea.

Reverend Rhythm wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:58 pm Thanks. I'll then leave the saw wave discussion to others.

To the general topic of Vital I'll say I like Vital's workflow. It is easy to use and program. I like the idea of bypassing the delay and reverb (and I'm guessing Chorus/Flange/ and Phase), and using https://kazrog.com/products/synth-warmer/ to warm things up. Then I could external effects. Interesting idea.
Thanks for revealing the Secrets of Vital on a public forum.

Brilliant.

El°HYM wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:09 pm
Reverend Rhythm wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:58 pm Thanks. I'll then leave the saw wave discussion to others.

Thanks for revealing the Secrets of Vital on a public forum.

Brilliant.
:hihi:

Seems like my video sparked some discussion.. :D

Allright then.. for the connoisseurs: Which one is Vital?
https://youtu.be/kG_6gibpBW8

:ud:

Where are the (VITAL) Wavetables hidden in OSX?
(the ones that aren't next to presets in user folder) e.g. the TEXT to WAVETABLE WT I just made?
I really like all of these soft synths and can't see much point in arguing which one are better. What I am really not crazy about though are selfish pinterest types swiping universal concepts and/or developments and then making it hard to find where every last thing is stored and/or (e.g. see Thorn) disguising them in secret code formats making them useless beyond that app (like those MSEGs) c'mon Dmitri!

I still have Wolfgang Palms iOS app that does text to wavetables. I wonder if the results from that are wavs that can be pulled out :idea: :?:

petedako wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:38 pm Where are the (VITAL) Wavetables hidden in OSX?
(the ones that aren't next to presets in user folder) e.g. the TEXT to WAVETABLE WT I just made?
Until you save the wavetable (right click -> Save to Wavetables), I think it's only saved as a blob in the preset. After you save it, it should be selectable to load from the User folder when you click the wavetable header. Right click -> Open File Location to see where that folder is in the Finder.

~/Library/Audio/Presets/Vital/User/Wavetables
Celebrating 50 years of pants with frogs in them

Thanks Froginpanz!'
I *think* this is *exactly* what I did last time and again before posting today but will try it again.
Is there anywhere else to look on our drives?
FrogsInPants wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:17 pm
petedako wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:38 pm Where are the (VITAL) Wavetables hidden in OSX?
Until you save the wavetable (right click -> Save to Wavetables), I think it's only saved as a blob in the preset. After you save it, it should be selectable to load from the User folder when you click the wavetable header. Right click -> Open File Location to see where that folder is in the Finder.

~/Library/Audio/Presets/Vital/User/Wavetables

Return to “Instruments”