GSI VB3-II

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
VB3 VB3-II

Well, cool. Guess it shows just how subjective these things can get. I don't ever need an EQ in VB3, it sounds phenomenal to me (but truth be told, I'm not a Hammond organist - however I know when I like how something sounds).

both VB3 II and Blue3 v2 seem abandoned, with no news or updates for a few months. I guess Guido is busy with Gemini stuff, but I wonder if Ray is actually cooking Blue3 v3 in his lab. now that would be cool!

why wouldn't NI revive B4, make v3 of it. especially after sampled organs fiasco. this and Guitar Rig 6 are long overdue. honestly, I can live without another sampled piano or Reaktor ensemble from the Germans.

"Few months" ... "abandoned". Way to jump to conclusions. :D

Exactly! Though it's you doing it!

Abandon can be temporal. I didn't mean they became "abandonware", like forever, but, by the rate of updates before 2019, it's indeed curious why the long pause. I hope it's all for the better and Guido/Ray are doing great and are preparing some treats. Ray won't respond to mails, though, and he's usually communicative, I hope it's a vacation thing.

Hi everyone, maybe it might be of interest to someone. An option for those who had to abandon Native's B4 II due to its 32-bit architecture... I made some presets for the Arturia B3 using the B4 as a base. They were very close, maybe it will help to migrate to something with updates... :)
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/b-3-v2 ... /downloads

Unrelated to VB-3 II completely. Also multiposting in this manner is frowned upon.

OK. I did it with the intention just to help in the posts that I remembered that the staff needed a solution. maybe I posted too much... sorry

Hi Everyone...New KVR member here. I'm an old fart who plays guitar, bass and keys and sings. I've been performing in bands for over 50 years. I'm now retired and making a lot of music at home with wifey. We're covering "Foreplay/Long Time" and I just downloaded VB3-II. Surprise, surprise...it has a "Foreplay" preset ! Unfortunately, it isn't playing all the notes I programmed. For example, in measure N I have a whole note chord and in the following measure N+1 is a whole note tied across 8 measures. VB3 doesn't play that note. But if I start playing the song in that measure N+1, the note plays fine. Now, I'm not an organist so if this occurs because I haven't setup something in the organ, I'd appreciate some help. If this is a known issue, I'm hoping there's a fix. Anybody experienced similar missed notes? Thorne

I found a workaround for SOME issues. If I reduce the duration of, for example, quarter notes from 1/4 beat in 4/4 to 90% (in MIDI speak that would be 0:900 as opposed to 1:000 for a full quarter note) then subsequent notes that didn't play before will SOMETIMES now play. After spending 100 Euros I shouldn't have to be finding workarounds for problems. I did email the developer (I think).

Hmmm I've just held a chord for like 16 bars with no problems. Can you post the MIDI file that you've programmed here?

Hi Evil - Thanks for the response. I programmed the notes using the Staff view in my recording software which is Bandlab by Cakewalk. There is no MIDI file. I exported to a TXT file though it looks more like something a guitarist could use. Instead I've attached an image of one example of the problem measures. In these 4 measures the notes that won't play are only the Bb in the 3rd and 4th measures. Let me know if I can provide any additional info.

The way I've notated in this example is not how I originally programmed it, but I had to do it whis way to get more of the notes to play. It was worse before when the notes were half notes which, to me, is the proper way to notate the keyboard part I want played.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by thornev on Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I don't know if this helps better, but here's the MIDI event list of those 4 measures (113-116). That Bb3 length of 7:935 is strange as I didn't program it that way. I programmed it to be 8:000. But that note plays fine. It's the Bb5 that won't play.

EDIT: Another oddity...When I display the VB3 keyboards and play those 4 measures starting at 113, it shows on the upper manual that the Bb5 is played (the key turns grey), but the note does not sound. If I start playing at 116, then the Bb5 sounds. If I start at 115, the note doesn't sound.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MIDI is a serial protocol. This means that of two notes sent over the same MIDI channel at exactly at the same time, only one can play.

By exactly, I mean on the very same 'tick' or clock pulse or whatever time resolution your DAW or MIDI equipment is using internally. We're not talking about 90% of a half note or anything like that, we're talking about milliseconds.

This "limitation" of MIDI isn't a real life limitation at all, because if you play in your stuff from a keyboard, for example, there's no way that you can hit two notes on the same millisecond.

I have no idea what kind of programming setup you're using, but I'd suggest that you edit the note on times in your MIDI list by just one increment so that they don't arrive arrive on exactly (please se above :wink: ) the same time.

Or just play it on a keyboard, then you won't notice any problem. I've used Guido's VB3 and VB3-II a lot and I have never had a similar problem. But then I don't step program…
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Thanks, Spit. So what you say is true also when the soft synth is polyphonic? This is a MIDI "feature"?

It's the principle of MIDI since it's a serial protocol with 16 channels. Normally, it's just a theoretical limitation. I suspect that your programming may have hit a snag connected with this 'limitation'.

It's easy to make a first test – just record the chords using your keyboard, no? Good luck with the Foreplay!
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Return to “Instruments”