Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol/Maschine now Apple Silicon Native (barely)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

magog wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:40 pm Well, I'm glad I read this thread before updating! The new Komplete Kontrol update looks perfectly benign in Native Access. There's nothing that says "hey beware - if you install this update, many of your instruments will be unavailable until the third party developers get on board".
To be clear, the instruments are available as long as they have VST3 versions, it's just the NKS presets for some (those that don't yet migrate) that are not. Unless you choose to run it in Rosetta and access the VST2's - then they all work too.

And if you choose to work entirely in native mode that is fine too - but surely under such circumstances you would not seeing KK going native as the cause of you not being able to access those non native (yet) plugins, that would be your choice.

And obviously, VST3 versions even if the load won't make use the light guide or have dynamic controller assignments when editing sounds or using internal preset browsers.

Urs wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:02 pm And obviously, VST3 versions even if the load won't make use the light guide or have dynamic controller assignments when editing sounds or using internal preset browsers.
Not yet I guess, as you say the (none existent) SDK would be needed for that, but how many plugins really use the light guide other than NI ones? I can still assign controls and create templates the same way I would with VST2 plugins. And I can also use KK's browser to browse any NKS patches I save with them.

aMUSEd wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:05 pm
Urs wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:02 pm And obviously, VST3 versions even if the load won't make use the light guide or have dynamic controller assignments when editing sounds or using internal preset browsers.
Not yet I guess, as you say the (none existent) SDK would be needed for that, but how many plugins really use the light guide other than NI ones? I can still assign controls and create templates the same way I would with VST2 plugins. And I can also use KK's browser to browse any NKS patches I save with them.
Well, plug-ins that are "NKS ready" need to support it, and other functionality. Ours do, e.g. the light guide needs to show the keys played by internal arpeggiators or sequencers. "NKS ready" plug-ins also need to undergo quality control by NI whenever anything is updated. This is a very complex process which may take weeks of back and forth until things are polished and perfect.

I wonder though if NI care anymore to give their NKS partners any incentive over those "who just provide NKS presets without the ordeal". I think they might just forgo any future SDK. Which honestly would be a shame, since we have invested a lot of effort in providing the best possible support for NKS, such as automatic controller assignments and auto-tagging when exporting presets to NKS from our own software.

aMUSEd wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:00 pm
magog wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:40 pm Well, I'm glad I read this thread before updating! The new Komplete Kontrol update looks perfectly benign in Native Access. There's nothing that says "hey beware - if you install this update, many of your instruments will be unavailable until the third party developers get on board".
Unless you choose to run it in Rosetta and access the VST2's - then they all work too.
So I think you are saying that after the update, I can continue to work in Rosetta mode and all my Arturia presets will continue to work? If so, then that's not bad at all and I take back my scare-mongering comment.

magog wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:01 pm
Unless you choose to run it in Rosetta and access the VST2's - then they all work too.
So I think you are saying that after the update, I can continue to work in Rosetta mode and all my Arturia presets will continue to work? If so, then that's not bad at all and I take back my scare-mongering comment.
That is correct as long as the VST2s are installed as well as VST3

Yes everything continues to work, but most (all for me) third party NKIs continue to use the VST2 versions, not the VST3s, so you still need those installed.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:14 pm
Yes everything continues to work, but most (all for me) third party NKIs continue to use the VST2 versions, not the VST3s, so you still need those installed.
Those I've found so far that can do without the VST2 versions include everything that is NKS ready by AAS and Sugarbytes, Falcon, Vital, Synthmaster, Pianoteq, Valhalla plugins and surprisingly considering these are not NKS 'ready' and quite old SPC Arcsyn and FAW Circle 2

Urs wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:02 am
aMUSEd wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:05 pm
Well, plug-ins that are "NKS ready" need to support it, and other functionality. Ours do, e.g. the light guide needs to show the keys played by internal arpeggiators or sequencers. "NKS ready" plug-ins also need to undergo quality control by NI whenever anything is updated. This is a very complex process which may take weeks of back and forth until things are polished and perfect.

I wonder though if NI care anymore to give their NKS partners any incentive over those "who just provide NKS presets without the ordeal". I think they might just forgo any future SDK. Which honestly would be a shame, since we have invested a lot of effort in providing the best possible support for NKS, such as automatic controller assignments and auto-tagging when exporting presets to NKS from our own software.
Not entirely sure that would even be NIs call anymore, they do as they are told now by the looks of it, and that is not much at all.
Duh

Since this has now become the thread for discussion of Komplete Kontrol and Maschine on Apple Silicon/VST3 here's my pack of unofficial NKS templates for running a bunch of mainly VST3 only plugins that formerly we couldn't use in Komplete Kontrol and Maschine including Plasmonic, Surge XT, Korg OPSix and Wavestate native, Noise Engineering Frequel bundle, Equator 2, Imagine, Dawsome Novum, Quanta 2, Padshop 2 and a few others

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kg8m3y7boy4m ... rPFha?dl=0

be aware that Padshop 2 and all Steinberg plugins are currently not working well on Ventura though for me and I wouldn't recommended using that yet in KK (I made it with the VST3 before I moved to Apple Silicon)

Great News:

We uploaded slightly modified version of our NKS-ready software that load correctly as NKS in Komplete Kontrol 2.8.1 or Maschine 2.16.1 - both updates from u-he and NI are from today.

Just re-download our plug-ins and install, then go to Native Access and update NKS software.

If you first update KK/MAS before you install our updates, you need to rescan before our plug-ins appear.

Note that nothing else has changed in our software, this is just a quick fix so that NKS software loads our VST3 plug-ins for NKS on M1 and correctly maps settings/parameters etc.

Cheers,

- U

Urs wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:02 pm Great News:

We uploaded slightly modified version of our NKS-ready software that load correctly as NKS in Komplete Kontrol 2.8.1 or Maschine 2.16.1 - both updates from u-he and NI are from today.

Just re-download our plug-ins and install, then go to Native Access and update NKS software.

If you first update KK/MAS before you install our updates, you need to rescan before our plug-ins appear.

Note that nothing else has changed in our software, this is just a quick fix so that NKS software loads our VST3 plug-ins for NKS on M1 and correctly maps settings/parameters etc.

Cheers,

- U
Given the treatment NKS partners have received from NI this is very much appreciated.

Apologies for finding this rather belatedly, but... any workarounds for Spitfire Audio libraries so I can run KK and Logic Pro in native mode?

I did file a ticket with Spitfire begging 'em to get on the bandwagon and offer NKS-compatible VST3 versions of their libraries, but... I'm not optimistic they'll prioritize this. And that's kinda fair; I don't expect a huge portion of their userbase are NI-keyboard users. But selfishly I don't want to keep running my stuff in Rosetta mode... :\

Urs wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:02 pm Great News:

Cheers,

- U
I couldn't see this step, how do you do it?

What do you mean?

These "news" are more than a year old and they address the people who had previous versions installed. As of today, there is no need to perform any of the steps outlined in that post.

If our software still does not pop up, it's probably best to contact our support team: Email to support at u-he dot com

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”