Double tracking - natural sounding options?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

meloco_go wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:32 pm
HAL76 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:38 pm I think you should look closer at what Eventide has made over the past decades.
Well, I guess so, and not to disrespect them, but all their products I am aware are intended as "online" effects and this limits the options available.

E.g., the best "fake" doubletrack is if the part is repetitive, just flying one bar onto the other. Can't do that with an "online" effect.
Waht do you mean with "online effects"? They are just normal effects, but doubling, detuning, harmonizing are essential parts of the Eventide sound. Of the Eventide sound that is said to be oldfashioned today - but can THAT really be out?

Have you tried Audio Assault's Double Take? $10 reg ($5 holiday sale use code AA-BF-22) https://audioassault.mx/collections/plu ... doubletake

Especially for vocals I've used TDR's Proximity for many many years. Choose the ADT preset. Prefer it much more than Waves ADT.

And it's free.

HAL76 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:37 pm Waht do you mean with "online effects"? They are just normal effects, but doubling, detuning, harmonizing are essential parts of the Eventide sound. Of the Eventide sound that is said to be oldfashioned today - but can THAT really be out?
I am not saying they are bad or have no place, in fact I love micropitch when the part calls for it!
What I mean that these effects are intended as, well, effects. Something to play through.
But if the goal is to create a faux doubletrack out of single performance, they don't sound too natural, well at least for my ears. However, if the algorithm is not limited by the requirement of being "online" there's much more freedom.

heyheycnv wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:12 pm Especially for vocals I've used TDR's Proximity for many many years. Choose the ADT preset. Prefer it much more than Waves ADT.

And it's free.
Good tip , that sounds pretty good, and free as you say

Ploki wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:00 pm nothing really sounds as convincing as actual double tracking.

Eventide Microshift or something similar
This, 100%. If double tracking is what you want, then to actually double track is your solution, not a plugin effect that tries to 'fake it.'

metalifuxx wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:38 pm They’ll all sound just like a chorusing effect.
Well, the Sonnox ones don't - and obviously Melodyne most certainly neither... (might be related to the fact that they aren't :hihi:)
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

meloco_go wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:32 pm
HAL76 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:38 pm I think you should look closer at what Eventide has made over the past decades.
Well, I guess so, and not to disrespect them, but all their products I am aware are intended as "online" effects and this limits the options available.

E.g., the best "fake" doubletrack is if the part is repetitive, just flying one bar onto the other. Can't do that with an "online" effect.
Check out Eventide Quadravox / Octavox
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

meloco_go wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:08 pm
HAL76 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:37 pm Waht do you mean with "online effects"? They are just normal effects, but doubling, detuning, harmonizing are essential parts of the Eventide sound. Of the Eventide sound that is said to be oldfashioned today - but can THAT really be out?
I am not saying they are bad or have no place, in fact I love micropitch when the part calls for it!
What I mean that these effects are intended as, well, effects. Something to play through.
But if the goal is to create a faux doubletrack out of single performance, they don't sound too natural, well at least for my ears. However, if the algorithm is not limited by the requirement of being "online" there's much more freedom.
It´s often called "Eventide Sound". MAybe euphemistic. But they´ve got something. But when it´s about realistic dubbling I´d say nothing is like a real dubbl. Really.

you can create your "own" ADT in the box with tape and modulation plug-ins. Duplicate your track and add a Tape plug-in to it with a good amount of wow and flutter, nudge it a little bit, pan to taste.. Experiment until you like the sound. Try one Tape plugin on the track and a different one on it's duplicate, EQ them way differently, use saturation, use a vibrato plugin lightly, use a slight chorus, etc.. The possibilities are endless. It's a little bit of work to find the sound you're looking for but when you find the sound you like you can save the template and have "your" ADT preset that'll sound just like you want.
she wore a bluuuueberryjam beret

Melda MDoubleTracker? And also MUnison is a fun one

MUnison looks good from videos, seems to have control over formant variation. I tried Izotope's free plugin a year or so back and found it rather chorus-like, i.e. not organic.
Every day takes figuring out all over again how to f#ckin’ live.

1. Practice more, especially to a beat or metronome.
2. Do more than one extra take, and look for the closest bits
3. Make small edits where necessary
4. On some takes, to make less clash reduce the transients on the secondary track or tracks, just fade in some notes etc so the sit better

Should be good.

Return to “Effects”