One Synth Challenge #166: Wave Manuel (mmGhost Wins!!!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

abot81 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:32 am I'm struggling to get a good strong kick sound out of it. I can get some OK noise with with saturation + FM, & filter all the way up, which is emphasized with decay at 100%. But I'm unsure how much we can twist this into a kick. Best I can do is got a "glitchy" sound and do a lowpass EQ playing a C-2. Can we use transient shapers? (e.g. free kHs transient shaper)
The oscillator is free running - which means every percussive hit is going to have a different transient - and could start with a DC offset and sound very clicky. I've asked Pauli if there's a chance of updating it with a OSC retriever switch he agreed this is a good idea for a future update.

My WIP submission, kind of stuck on what to add
Kick is doable with automated pitch-bend but I don't know how to generate noisy percussive hits, I think I will skip that part anyway
https://soundcloud.com/gethiox/gethiox- ... yiDpE4Muho

ZioMau wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:22 pm Hi everyone!
Hi ZioMau,
thank you very, very, very much. Your drumkit for Reaper is amazing.

I already made a song and layered your drums a bit. With a bit of ReaVerbate they got even a bit of additional noise so I did not need any waveshaper or transient tool.

Maybe I will change my song later on but this is what I got with your help:

https://soundcloud.com/frank-geppert-19 ... al_sharing

@pauliindie
had a few crashes of AU in Logic Pro. also - midi Learn isn't working properly, unless i'm doing something wrong (totally possible). assigning controller to FM "middle" bubble assigns okay, but then ends up controlling the "bubble to the right" (can't remember what that controls atm)

very dynamic sound design capabilities with automation of FM, saturation, overdrive, lots o fun

doctorbob wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:40 pm I suspect that your Freq shifter is not allowed though ... ???
i use it with default setting only on left channel to widen the stereo signal. Timbrical character remains the same. Anyway to clean doubts i remove from fx chain. It doesn't affect so much the sound. 8)
doctorbob wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:40 pm Looks interesting though from a fellow Reaperite ...
:hihi: :hyper: :hihi: :hyper:
puma17 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:39 pm Thank you very much for this !!!
Both the inspiration and the VSTPRESET file. I struggled with creating the initial percussive "attack", and your trick with the zero AMP produced a "click/attack" I could work with
Happy to hear this. In "Cardinal" round i was saved by presets downloaded from a user. Furthermore i heard of problems making percussive sounds..while i "randomly" made them effortlessly! :tu: :tu: :tu:
Frank Geppert wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:55 pm Hi ZioMau,
thank you very, very, very much. Your drumkit for Reaper is amazing.
thank you. Happy you like it and hope it is useful or start point for other presets.
(Amazing tune but i wait for final track, guy!!! :hihi: :tu: :hihi: :tu:

Wave Manuel is simply great as a basis for vibrant and lush pads. You can, of course, create complex lfo patterns in seconds.

And when you add effects – ba-da-boom. Love it.

https://youtu.be/CQIYFgkGNWU
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

ZioMau wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:09 pm
doctorbob wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:40 pm I suspect that your Freq shifter is not allowed though ... ???
i use it with default setting only on left channel to widen the stereo signal. Timbrical character remains the same. Anyway to clean doubts i remove from fx chain. It doesn't affect so much the sound. 8)
Aha - not knowing the plugin ... you are absolved :D :tu:
db :party:

Hey Terje, I do like your Wave Manuel chorus-y "string-like" pad patch ... I have not been able to get quite that sound ... any tips on that??? :help:

Of course, your percussion on this demo is amazing :D :D :D :tu: :tu: :party: :clap: :clap:

[OK, I know it's not Wave Manuel, yet!!! :dog: ]

dB

schiing wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:29 am Wave Manuel is simply great as a basis for vibrant and lush pads. You can, of course, create complex lfo patterns in seconds.

And when you add effects – ba-da-boom. Love it.

https://youtu.be/CQIYFgkGNWU
ba-da-boom indeed !
The raw pad is very nice.
After the effects - gorgeous. Loved the effect chain you created

Thanks a lot, guys. And I've spent maaany hours on the drum track on this one, so that means a lot!

Rob, I think it's impossible to get close to the post-effect sound without breaking OSC rules - the effect chain is chock-full of chorus and saturation! But here's a screenshot of the raw pad (which I should have opened in the video, d'oh – YouTubeNoob!) - I hope it gives you some ideas.

manuel.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

Thanks for sharing the tips re: drums! I'm still kind of new to the challenge, so in the spirit of transparency wanted clarity around what is/isn't permitted.
1. Distortion is allowed/but not too much - for drums, this feels like it would be a little subjective. I've used a fair bit of CamelCrusher and QuickBass (by InstantAudio), both which can do some heavy distortion. Similarly with transient shaping, I've been able to achieve some really good results, but unsure if it's in spirit of competition.
2. Use of samplers. Basically I have rendered some good sounds made using an FX chain with Wave Manuel as the sound source. I've then dragged these into Sitala, just for ease of use playing drums. Where I have fine-tuned the sound with further distortion/compression. As well as additional editing using Sitala (no use of "tuning" knob, just the "Shape" to remove tail of sound and "Tone" to emphasize frequency response).

In short, the above feels like a lot of editing using FX plugins outside the synth. Am I going too far? FX chain e.g. for kick:
Wave Manuel - Kick FX Chain.PNG
Wave Manuel - Kick FX Chain 02.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

abot81 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:27 am 1. Distortion is allowed/but not too much - for drums, this feels like it would be a little subjective. I've used a fair bit of CamelCrusher and QuickBass (by InstantAudio), both which can do some heavy distortion. Similarly with transient shaping, I've been able to achieve some really good results, but unsure if it's in spirit of competition.
Yes, this is somewhat subjective. To me, the question is: Are your external effects merely enhancing the sound of the synth, or forming a significant part of the sound design? Betterizing the sound is fine, but not transforming the nature of the synth. Opinions differ on how much is too much; I prefer to err on the side of going light on the external effects.
2. Use of samplers. Basically I have rendered some good sounds made using an FX chain with Wave Manuel as the sound source. I've then dragged these into Sitala, just for ease of use playing drums. Where I have fine-tuned the sound with further distortion/compression. As well as additional editing using Sitala (no use of "tuning" knob, just the "Shape" to remove tail of sound and "Tone" to emphasize frequency response).
This kind of sampling is definitely not allowed. You can bounce tracks, but sampling individual hits is right out.
Celebrating 50 years of pants with frogs in them

You can only bounce a FULL track to audio, usually to save cpu. Making a small sample and then pasting in is not allowed, which in essentially what you are doing using a sampler...

Many ask this in order to get consistency in e.g. kicks! Always the same answer ... i.e. sorry, NO.

Hope this clarifies things.

dB

Not sure about the other Reaperites out there, but it's crash central for me. If I try to load even just a second instance of WM, Reaper immediately crashes. Might be a single instance experiment this month.

That makes sense. Thanks for the clarification. I think I had a bit of confusion where it says "Samplers used must be host samplers or freeware and easily available" - i.e. they can be used. I didn't have too many problems with inconsistency when playing the synth + FX as a kick; it was more for convenience than anything.

Return to “Instruments”