Most comprehensive tape emulation plugin?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Looking for one plugin to out-tape them all. Preferably M1/M2-native too, though compatible would suffice.

From realistic (with various types of tape, speed, mode, etc.) through to seriously wacky would be ideal.

try this
is free.

Chow Tape Model
Chow Tape Model is a digital emulation of a reel-to-reel analog tape machine. The original algorithm was developed to emulate the Sony TC-260, but has since been expanded to be able to model a wide variety of tape machines.

Chow Tape was originally developed as part of the Music 420 class at Stanford University. The project led to an academic paper, "Real-Time Physical Modelling for Analog Tape Machines which was presented at the 2019 DAFx Conference.

https://chowdsp.com/products.html

u-he satin probably, but doesn't do wacky.

Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

No Mac here, but I dig these: Aberrant DSP SketchCasette II, Fuse Audio Labs Flywheel, Sinevibes Stator, ToneBoosters ReelBus 4.

from the ones i use, it's Chow Tape and Satin too

and Satin can do super wacky too, you have to play with various compander encoder/decoder combinations though

but of course it's Chow Tape that's the no brainer, since it's completely free (and of course awesome!), and Satin one of the more expensive ones.
It's awesome too, but while both of them could do both, Satin is generally supposed to represent the more high end reel to reel experience, while Chow Tape the (slightly) lower end units.
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

The IK Tascam collection is pretty cool, it ranges from hi-fi to lo-fi cassette. But it's very CPU hungry.

Goodhertz Tupe is less realistic but also great and covers a wide range (they said they will add more tape models in the future)
she wore a bluuuueberryjam beret

e@rs wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:57 am No Mac here, but I dig these: Aberrant DSP SketchCasette II, Fuse Audio Labs Flywheel, Sinevibes Stator, ToneBoosters ReelBus 4.
I'll second Flywheel and ReelBus. I also use Tape by Softube. I'd say that Flywheel is quite flexible and does darkening very well; Whilst ReelBus does bright very well.

Most flexible/comprehensive has to be Chow Tape.

Honourable mention to TCS-68 - also by Fuse Audio Labs - which isn't comprehensive at all but sounds lovely if you want that old Tascam sound.

Satin is amazing. The amount of control, depth and variables it offers is unmatched.

Chow is probably the most comprehensive. But, shouldn't the focus be on what sounds best to you?

I like Wavesfactory Cassette, Baby Audio TAIP and AudioThing Reels. For Mastering I use TRacks Tape Machine 80 though.

EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

The combination of ChowTape (bypassing the tape part, just for wow/flutter) and Taipei (for N4 Player) is, by far, the most realistic, and if you like comprehensive, emulation available. Depth for ages!

beingmf wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:03 pm The combination of ChowTape (bypassing the tape part, just for wow/flutter) and Taipei (for N4 Player) is, by far, the most realistic, and if you like comprehensive, emulation available. Depth for ages!
Stellar reviews across the board for Taipei. Too bad that 50% sale is ended. For the algo sims I like CHOW and Satin which both have linked controls. G-Sonique AX-72 and Tonempire ReelBus are two Tape plugins that don't get as much attention. IK Multimedia has got the Tape sound right I think using convolution but controls aren't so great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWbmY_kdkoY
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

I settled on Fuse Flywheel and am really more then fine with it.

SketchCasette for using tape as an effect, also it has great wow and flutter controls.

Return to “Effects”