Korg Modwave Native (VST3)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://www.korg.com/us/products/softwa ... ve_native/

Seriously, no discount for those who own the other two native ports?! Also uses more CPU than Serum or Icarus 2.

Yeah like I said in the other thread:
Just in time after BF :) or :(
I will wait for a more acceptable pricetag. I have the Opsix and Wavestate, they are very good. But then again, almost 500 for those 3 this year is a bit too much without any reduction for owners of the other 2 natives and/or Korg Collection 4 which I upgraded a few weeks ago for another 100.

The other 2 are now 99, and this with introductory 149?

And yes, why pay full price now, when the optimized and bugfree version will be cheaper??

I'm really hoping for some more videos on this, looks good!

There is a demo you can download now…better than videos!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

The Kaoss pad looks a killer addition

Septic Underground wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:39 am The other 2 are now 99, and this with introductory 149?

And yes, why pay full price now, when the optimized and bugfree version will be cheaper??
Well, I waited and only now did I get the Wavestate and OpSix. I think I will do the same with this. Anyway, we have plenty of (very good) wavetable synths already ;-)
Fernando (FMR)

How long is the intro pricing for?

fmr wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:18 am
Septic Underground wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:39 am The other 2 are now 99, and this with introductory 149?

Well, I waited and only now did I get the Wavestate and OpSix. I think I will do the same with this. Anyway, we have plenty of (very good) wavetable synths already ;-)
Yeh, the only one I have is the Wavestate as its pretty unique, OIpsix just didn't impress me compared to other FM synths I already have (and I paid $25 for FM'ed!) and I am demoing Modwave now against synths I own like Serum, Rapid, Icarus2 etc- its pretty hard to stand out in the WT field!

Its GUI is a bit tab/pagey, the sound is fine but nothing special and many Paches really just sound like the Wavestate to me (sample dominated with wavestate type sequencer), definitely a lot of stuff being 'reused' so probably a pass for me unless its is on sale at a no brainer price...
Last edited by SLiC on Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

guys i have not much experience with Korg synths, it says here:

In 1985, Korg’s DW-8000 combined digital wavetables with rich analog filters to give users sounds which were impossible to create with analog oscillators. It’s still a cult favorite today.

The modwave, released in 2021, builds on the DW legacy and transforms it into a modern monster synth, featuring incredibly deep wavetable oscillators, gorgeous filters, wildly flexible modulation, sophisticated pattern sequencing, and macro controls to deliver unique, powerful, and easily customizable sounds and phrases.

does the Modwave have the DW-8000 elements included and is it maybe even compatible with patches from it? stupid question i guess :D
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Caine123 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:05 am guys i have not much experience with Korg synths, it says here:

In 1985, Korg’s DW-8000 combined digital wavetables with rich analog filters to give users sounds which were impossible to create with analog oscillators. It’s still a cult favorite today.

The modwave, released in 2021, builds on the DW legacy and transforms it into a modern monster synth, featuring incredibly deep wavetable oscillators, gorgeous filters, wildly flexible modulation, sophisticated pattern sequencing, and macro controls to deliver unique, powerful, and easily customizable sounds and phrases.

does the Modwave have the DW-8000 elements included and is it maybe even compatible with patches from it? stupid question i guess :D
I just demo'ed it for a couple of minutes, but it doesn't seem so. Completely different beast. If you are interested in the DW-8000, you may want to download the VST created by Full Bucket. It may not be 100% perfect, but is a very good approximation: https://www.fullbucket.de/music/fb7999.html
Fernando (FMR)

I have demoed it on both Windows and Mac. In Windows, horrible performance especially when changing presets! Ableton Live behaves strange! The CPU jumps to 4000+% then goes down gradually when changing presets! In Cubase almost the same!

On Mac (Logic and Live) it barely reaches 12% CPU!! Changing the presets is so smooth. Great performance on Mac M1! I'm not sure of buying it because this is about NZ$ 234 which is too much especially that I've got several great Wavetable synths. If it is $99, I would consider buying it.

I really like its feature set, but there's just something about the sound that I don't like - never really liked wavetables much. Sounds like it's as buggy as Wavestate and Opsix when they came out Native. I bought the other 2 in both hw and plugin, but doubt I'll get this. If it was something other than Wavetables for oscillators I'd maybe get it.

It stuns me (stuns me, I tell you) that the DW-8000 is revered today. I bought one when they first came out because I wanted to get on the MIDI bandwagon as I saw its possibilities back then.

The DW-8000 didn't light any fires under my feet, and was even stolen (which I didn't care about anyway). Back then, I thought the sounds needed gating to make them useful. Of course, I can do all those tricks now in a DAW, so the Modwave looks tempting in that regard.
If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit.

Boy Wonder wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:21 am It stuns me (stuns me, I tell you) that the DW-8000 is revered today. I bought one when they first came out because I wanted to get on the MIDI bandwagon as I saw its possibilities back then.

The DW-8000 didn't light any fires under my feet, and was even stolen (which I didn't care about anyway). Back then, I thought the sounds needed gating to make them useful. Of course, I can do all those tricks now in a DAW, so the Modwave looks tempting in that regard.
I still have the rack version (EX-8000). It's interesting. It has a wavetable of 16 waveforms (intead of the usual four of the then common analogue synths), and a delay that contributes to add depth to the sound. The filter is also warm and very good sounding. For today standards, we can consider it somehow disappointing, considering its simplicity, but in its day context it was a very interesting synth. And there are people revering the mono synths of the 70s so...
Fernando (FMR)

Omg, I have really maxed out my credit cards over Black Friday sales but, couldn’t resist that one :wink:
Bought it instantly and couldn’t be happier :D

Return to “Instruments”