Korg Modwave Native (VST3)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

kritikon wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:15 am I really like its feature set, but there's just something about the sound that I don't like - never really liked wavetables much. Sounds like it's as buggy as Wavestate and Opsix when they came out Native. I bought the other 2 in both hw and plugin, but doubt I'll get this. If it was something other than Wavetables for oscillators I'd maybe get it.
Well. it isn't "just" wavetables, but then... so isn't Pigments, for example. And we also have the synth beasts like Zebra, Falcon and HALion, which also do wavetable (besides a lot of other things). And we have other wavetable synths like Hive, DUNE, Icarus, Rapid (which also does other things), Electra, A.N.A. (which now even plays multisamples), etc.

AS I said, wavetable is a field where we now have plenty of choices. For 99 euros, I would maybe be tempted, but for a price tag of 199 (even with the introductory price of 149) no way.
Fernando (FMR)

When I bought hardware Korg Modwave I was happy for a some times, only now I understand that it is useless in any form. And no one has a desire to change it on Access Virus or Hydrasynth.

Caine123 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:05 am does the Modwave have the DW-8000 elements included and is it maybe even compatible with patches from it? stupid question i guess :D
It has the DW6000 and 8000 waveform collections as wavetables. It doesn't have the DW8k filter but does have the MS-20 and Polysix filters.

Hmmm I don't see any unusual cpu usage or spikes (even comparing it to serum and icarus) on Mac intel 11.7.1, Cubase 12.
rsp
sound sculptist

Korg Supporter wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:33 pm
Caine123 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:05 am does the Modwave have the DW-8000 elements included and is it maybe even compatible with patches from it? stupid question i guess :D
It has the DW6000 and 8000 waveform collections as wavetables. It doesn't have the DW8k filter but does have the MS-20 and Polysix filters.
thx would be interesting if presets would be loadable? again i have no idea of hardwaresynths from korg.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Korg Supporter wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:33 pmIt has the DW6000 and 8000 waveform collections as wavetables. It doesn't have the DW8k filter but does have the MS-20 and Polysix filters.
Polysix filter with adjusted input gain can get very close to DW8000 filter territory.

Caine123 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:53 pmthx would be interesting if presets would be loadable? again i have no idea of hardwaresynths from korg.
You mean patches from the DW8000 hardware? No, it doesn't support that. Completely different parameter sets.

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:20 pm
Caine123 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:53 pmthx would be interesting if presets would be loadable? again i have no idea of hardwaresynths from korg.
You mean patches from the DW8000 hardware? No, it doesn't support that. Completely different parameter sets.
thx ok!

im curious how this vst is different to other wavetable synths. need to see more videos.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Caine123 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:55 pm
EvilDragon wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:20 pm
thx ok!

im curious how this vst is different to other wavetable synths. need to see more videos.

Its not just WT, it has layers with samples (couple of gigs download) and an advanced lane sequencer da bit like the Wavestate. Why don't you just download the demo? Its fully functional.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

zvenx wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:46 pm Hmmm I don't see any unusual cpu usage or spikes (even comparing it to serum and icarus) on Mac intel 11.7.1, Cubase 12.
rsp
I'm not finding any excessive CPU problems on Win 11 either. Although it's not light on CPU, but about comparable to other fairly meaty CPU usage plugins.

EDIT
I was previously just browsing presets, which didn't cause CPU spikes.
But I have now found serious CPU spikes when creating patches, specifically when moving a knob or adjusting the points in the EQ.

When creating a simple patch that uses only 1 layer and no sequencing or effects, it is really light on CPU.
Caine123 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:55 pm im curious how this vst is different to other wavetable synths. need to see more videos.
One obvious difference is the Kaoss Physics pad.
Last edited by Rod Staples on Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
i7-9700, 32GB, 2TB Nvme, Win 11, Live 11 Suite

The G.A.S is strong with this one

Septic Underground wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:39 am The other 2 are now 99, and this with introductory 149?
To be clear, wavestate native and opsix native are on sale for $99. The normal price remains $199. These are very deep plug-ins, and while we all want everything cheaper, the prices really aren't out of line with the market. See Pigments ($199), Serum ($179 and never goes on sale), Diva (a bargain at only ~$195 now due to the unusually high Dollar/Euro exchange rate), etc.
Dan Phillips
Manager of Product Development, Korg R&D

A messed up edit. Can you actually delete a comment?
i7-9700, 32GB, 2TB Nvme, Win 11, Live 11 Suite

Korg Supporter wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:58 am https://www.korg.com/us/products/softwa ... ve_native/

Seriously, no discount for those who own the other two native ports?! Also uses more CPU than Serum or Icarus 2.
Seriously, you didn’t buy it - troll

EnGee wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:04 am I have demoed it on both Windows and Mac. In Windows, horrible performance especially when changing presets! Ableton Live behaves strange! The CPU jumps to 4000+% then goes down gradually when changing presets! In Cubase almost the same!

On Mac (Logic and Live) it barely reaches 12% CPU!! Changing the presets is so smooth. Great performance on Mac M1! I'm not sure of buying it because this is about NZ$ 234 which is too much especially that I've got several great Wavetable synths. If it is $99, I would consider buying it.
Ableton Live is slow with VST3 program changes, unfortunately - and not just with our products. See the FAQ article below. There will be a CPU hit when a new sound is selected, as it generates the wavetables, but that should go away quickly - and shouldn't be "4000%!" I'd be curious to know what hardware you're using.

https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/a ... leton-Live
Dan Phillips
Manager of Product Development, Korg R&D

Return to “Instruments”