What are the best FREE TR-909 Drum Machine Wave Samples or Soundfonts available? (+my personal TOP3)

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Please mention the name of the samples/soundfonts (+best sounding elements if possible) here and share a safe and thrusted link if possible, thx :help: :wink:

Were testing a lot and so far..this is my personal TOP3..(lemme know if I've missed something)

TOP3 free 909 Samples/Soundfonts:
1. Echo Soundworks 909 Wavesamples + Sitala Sampler
Best elements: Open HHat, ClosedHihat, Snare, Clap, Rimshot, Toms, Ride
2. NTonyx 32MB GM Stereo Soundfont Bank (128: TR-909) + SFZ Soundfontplayer
Best elements: Crash1+2 (!!), Analog Kick (+'Drive increase' effect with 'Soft Amp FM25' sfx plugin for more punch), Ride, Clap, Rimshot
3. BPM Supreme 909 + Sitala Sampler

List of NOT so well sounding 909 samples/soundfonts/vst's (All Tested by me):
The worser options = Not such a big deal on my tests were ..
- Detroit 909 <- Open Hhat still useful though but mostly doesnt sit so well in the mix
- BVKER 909
- DMD 909
- Drumkito Baker's 909
- Raum45's 909
- Slate 909
- Synthedit's 909
- Sitala's Classic 09
- Angular's 909

Resumee:
Surprising for someone maybe, but the best Free 909 VST's I've came across, weren't as good than the 1st two samples/soundfont options mentioned above, since it's sound weren't quite realistic or not clean +crispy enough. The only two I've found at least useful were "DR-910" and "Cassette 909" vst's. (Both are about the same quality than BPM Supreme 909 samples)

Why commercial solutions arent an option for me atm:
Yes, there's also the Roland Cloud option for a small monthly payment but not only because of its other huge Drawback, that you must stay online, while using it (which sucks), this is currently no option for me. And Drumazon's + Audiorealism's 909 is at least a cost of 100-120$ / 100-120€ (hardly effortable for low budget people), means, out of option for me atm.

Anyway, I guess if we mix up the best sounding 909 elements with various samples / soundfonts on a few different tracks, it is still possible to build up a quite realistic sounding 909 Drum machine in your DAW for free. So lets team up and share our experiences, we've made with free 909 samples/soundfonts. Did I've missed something? :help: :roll:

Cant really tell how good this one is in comparison, yet might be worth to check out.
https://synsonic-instruments.com/synsonic-bd-909
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

There are much more affordable commercial options around than the ones you listed, especially if you can wait for a sale. I use the Samples From Mars stuff, they always have a good end-of-year sale.

Just google search 909 sample packs. Thousands out there. Can’t be that hard 🤷‍♂️
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

@ramseysounds: I wasn't asking for "How to find 909 samples", I was asking for other people's 909 sample-experiences, they made. Finding hundreds of samples via google isnt a prob at all, however, testing + evaluating them, much more is, though. Your reply proves that you haven't read more than a couple of lines of my topic/poste. :-) And as you can see above, I've tried out a lot.

@imrae: This topic is about FREE 909 samples/sounfonts suggestions, no commercial ones. Even if 'Samples from Mars' might be worth a shot.

@El°HYM: Even if Synsonic BD 909 might be useful as a Kick Drum alternative for lots of energy, it wasnt satisfying me so well when I was trying it out once, anyway, thx for suggesting, might give it another shot.

@All: Please first read the topic before coming up with replies, that miss the theme. This topic have been created for a good reason = Analysing user experiences of their own free 909 samples/soundfont tryouts. We cannot testout thousands of samples on ourselfs we ve found on google, but we can share our sample experiences, to come to a conclusion regarding its evaluation.

Gabriel_West wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:45 pm @ramseysounds: I wasn't asking for "How to find 909 samples", I was asking for other people's 909 sample-experiences, they made. Finding hundreds of samples via google isnt a prob at all, however, testing + evaluating them, much more is, though. Your reply proves that you haven't read more than a couple of lines of my topic/poste. :-) And as you can see above, I've tried out a lot.
I read your whole post. Yet another person who makes assumptions 🤦‍♂️

What I think is a fantastic 909 kick sample you might think is utter garbage, especially as all can be manipulated and processed. Also the samples on an original 909 can have attack, tune and decay altered, so what is an actual 909 sample pack? If you really expect to get the perfect 909 free sample pack based on other peoples evaluation, you will be here forever. It is all so subjective. 🤷‍♂️
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

Sorry then, as I am not really an 909 - Expert and just saw some of the fellow Techno dudes seem to like that one.
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

Logic Pro X comes with some really well recorded (unprocessed) 909 samples in the new multi-sampler.

1. Here are good free 909 samples from Wave Alchemy:
https://www.facebook.com/wavealchemysou ... 228502123/
2. You probably know about sforzando, the free SFZ player from Plogue. There's a free bank for sforzando that includes a sampled 909 (was sampled by Chris from Audio Damage many years ago) with a GUI - not bad for a freebie:
https://www.plogue.com/plgfrms/viewtopic.php?t=7090
3. Personally I find the Synsonic BD-909 emulation quite convincing, but to each his own etc...

https://ronanfed.rf.gd/RF-Drums.html?i=1

It has a 909-patch, listen for yourself. I have no experience with the 909 sounds, but for free it's a useful drum machine.

See also https://www.kvraudio.com/product/rf-dru ... tent=24015

As someone who doesn't like most classic drum machine sample packs, my favorite sample pack is still the ancient Music Machines 909 from Hyperreal. While it's from 1995 (!), it was recorded properly with an E-MU unit still today regarded to have pristine converters.

http://machines.hyperreal.org/manufactu ... nd/TR-909/ (even the website is 25 years old lol)

The main reason I like it is that it is 100% completely unprocessed. Not "mostly untouched" or "just cleaned up a little"; it is exactly what you get out of box with zero bullshit.

It has samples of every combination of knob settings (minus volume which is always kept max to record for ~0db output) in quarter increments, and with filenames following a methodological naming scheme so you can see what each sample will be. So whatever combination of tune/attack/decay you want is approximately available for each instrument. Instruments with only one parameter are recorded in eighth increments. I imagine the newer packs are split in many more ways built it's never felt limited to me.

It might be 16-bit but 16-bit is a perfectly adequate sample source when recorded at or near 0db. After all, the 909's cymbals are 6-bit samples.

There's also quite a bit of heritage to the Music Machines packs. If you were into trance in the late 90's/early 00's you've heard these samples. Scouring the internet for free samples was a different ballgame back then with very slim pickings. A pristine drum machine pack larger than most computers' RAM at the time was a huge deal that made a big impact, especially in the tracker scene.

The 808 is available here: http://machines.hyperreal.org/manufactu ... nd/TR-808/

Gabriel_West wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:45 pm @imrae: This topic is about FREE 909 samples/sounfonts suggestions, no commercial ones. Even if 'Samples from Mars' might be worth a shot.
You posted inaccurate information about the high cost of commercial samples. I was correcting the record.

Creating a topic doesn't give you total control over the conversation, you know?

The Chase wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:33 am As someone who doesn't like most classic drum machine sample packs, my favorite sample pack is still the ancient Music Machines 909 from Hyperreal. While it's from 1995 (!), it was recorded properly with an E-MU unit still today regarded to have pristine converters.

http://machines.hyperreal.org/manufactu ... nd/TR-909/ (even the website is 25 years old lol)

The main reason I like it is that it is 100% completely unprocessed. Not "mostly untouched" or "just cleaned up a little"; it is exactly what you get out of box with zero bullshit.

It has samples of every combination of knob settings (minus volume which is always kept max to record for ~0db output) in quarter increments, and with filenames following a methodological naming scheme so you can see what each sample will be. So whatever combination of tune/attack/decay you want is approximately available for each instrument. Instruments with only one parameter are recorded in eighth increments. I imagine the newer packs are split in many more ways built it's never felt limited to me.

It might be 16-bit but 16-bit is a perfectly adequate sample source when recorded at or near 0db. After all, the 909's cymbals are 6-bit samples.

There's also quite a bit of heritage to the Music Machines packs. If you were into trance in the late 90's/early 00's you've heard these samples. Scouring the internet for free samples was a different ballgame back then with very slim pickings. A pristine drum machine pack larger than most computers' RAM at the time was a huge deal that made a big impact, especially in the tracker scene.

The 808 is available here: http://machines.hyperreal.org/manufactu ... nd/TR-808/
These are awesome, thanks! Lots of other cool samples there if you dig around as well.

imrae wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:49 pm There are much more affordable commercial options around than the ones you listed, especially if you can wait for a sale. I use the Samples From Mars stuff, they always have a good end-of-year sale.
They have a killer sale on at the moment, all Samples from Mars packs for just $49.00 8)

Yup, and a discount for previous buyers; I've updated my collection to add the last couple of years of releases!

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”