Standing up or sitting down?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

For me, pretty much always standing up.

Feels Goodman.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Depends. When I'm writing, I tend to sit but I stand to perform and record with guitar - with bass, I continue sitting.

I used to sit down when practising and/or recording something and stand up when getting ready to play the same stuff live. I went even so far as to standing up when changing the strings in my Floyd guitars, just to be well prepared for live situations. Now that I don't play live anymore, I'm almost always sitting down.

The danger of recording something that I couldn't play standing up is of course there, but right now I don't have to care about that. Funnily enough, there are also certain things I feel are easier when standing up and if my hands start to nag about it, I'll stand up.

I tend to sit, except for when I need to stand... for me it's mostly about the available space.

I stand always.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

In a group I'd always stand and I'd stand while practicing. Now that many years have passed and not only am I not playing live I'll sit.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

subterfuge wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:06 pm The danger of recording something that I couldn't play standing up is of course there, but right now I don't have to care about that. Funnily enough, there are also certain things I feel are easier when standing up and if my hands start to nag about it, I'll stand up.
That's the only thing about recording sitting down. There have been riffs that I had to really force myself to learn to play standing up because they involved some serious finger spreadage with ringing strings and drones.

Main reason I favour standing with a guitar is because I often like to play with feedback so I need to be able to approach the speaker and turn away.

im one of life's sitters.
standing is for folk with working knees/hips/shins.
plus i can use two pedals at once, one wah and one volume.

Almost always sitting down as I hold the guitar classical style but I am having a lot of back pain lately and started to stand to alleviate it. I don't feel as in control with my finger picking hand but it is fine for strumming and rhythmic stuff. I'll have to adapt if the back doesn't get any better.

Hi
VURT Wrote: plus i can use two pedals at once, one wah and one volume.
For me that would be like driving an automatic car with one foot on each pedal: a recipe for disaster!!!

original flipper wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:12 pm Hi
VURT Wrote: plus i can use two pedals at once, one wah and one volume.
For me that would be like driving an automatic car with one foot on each pedal: a recipe for disaster!!!
luckily i don't drive! :hihi:

At least when it comes to recording I usually sit, unless I need to dance for rhythmical/timing reasons...
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

I'm a bass player and I p standing up most of the time. If I'm playing my guitar, I tend to p sitting down for whatever reason. I have two bad knees from a lifetime of skiing, so it's certainly more comfortable on my knees to sit, but that puts a lot more strain on my arms and upper body when I'm playing bass.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Both
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

Not sure if there’s a bass/guitar divide on this?

I play bass (quite an heavy P bass) and really can’t get comfortable when I try to play sitting down.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Return to “Guitars”