VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Diva Repro UADx PolyMAX Synthesizer

message deleted

_leras wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:43 am
kmonkey wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:32 am
EvilDragon wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:00 am That said... this is yet another very simplistic 2 osc 1 filter 1 LFO synth... yawn :/
Exactly! Super 8 easily tops this.
I really don't think it does. I quite like some sounds out of Super 8, but it's not as rich sounding as this to my ears.
kmonkey wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:32 am Seems to me like the UAD crowd which I am part of - when it comes to synths - is living under a rock and then the company can sell them "revolution" when in fact same or better synths (not to mention U-he) can do same even better at a fraction of a price.
Well Uhe Repro, also a 2 osc one filter synth, is..... ta da... exactly the same price!
I did a track earlier this year for the KVR OSC #155 (Any Synth) using only Super 8 as the sound source, I selected this synth out of many because of its intuitive interface and low tax on the CPU. To me, the sound is full and rich. I am placing a link to the track below in case anyone is interested in taking a listen to only Super 8 sounds. One caveat, though, I was looking for a lo-fi sound for the drums and passed them thru the Dirty Tape plugin from Softube; so the drums are not as crisp as they could be.
https://soundcloud.com/jemaudio2/jemaud ... de-osc-155

jemaudio wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:33 am
_leras wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:43 am
kmonkey wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:32 am
EvilDragon wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:00 am That said... this is yet another very simplistic 2 osc 1 filter 1 LFO synth... yawn :/
Exactly! Super 8 easily tops this.
I really don't think it does. I quite like some sounds out of Super 8, but it's not as rich sounding as this to my ears.
kmonkey wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:32 am Seems to me like the UAD crowd which I am part of - when it comes to synths - is living under a rock and then the company can sell them "revolution" when in fact same or better synths (not to mention U-he) can do same even better at a fraction of a price.
Well Uhe Repro, also a 2 osc one filter synth, is..... ta da... exactly the same price!
I did a track earlier this year for the KVR OSC #155 (Any Synth) using only Super 8 as the sound source, I selected this synth out of many because of its intuitive interface and low tax on the CPU. To me, the sound is full and rich. I am placing a link to the track below in case anyone is interested in taking a listen to only Super 8 sounds. One caveat, though, I was looking for a lo-fi sound for the drums and passed them thru the Dirty Tape plugin from Softube; so the drums are not as crisp as they could be.
Nice track! Think the drums sound great and really nice palette of sounds. Excellent work.

Thanks rezoneight. Most of the sounds I did from INIT and from tweaking existing patches to fit the track. It was quite an easy synth for sound design, so I was able to focus most of my time on the production/mixing, etc.

I was surprised Super 8 was mentioned on this thread as I don't think it is a popular synth in the community of music producers (maybe for Synthwave?). But that does not take away that it is a cool simple and fun synth to use. :)

jemaudio wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:33 am I did a track earlier this year for the KVR OSC #155 (Any Synth) using only Super 8 as the sound source, I selected this synth out of many because of its intuitive interface and low tax on the CPU. To me, the sound is full and rich.

Really nice track. Thanks for sharing. Nice sound design for this as well! :tu:

I do like super 8, and think it sounds pretty good. I think it's just not quite there in terms of presence that a 'real'/analog synth. I think PolyMAX is just closer in terms of that 'presence' that comes from hardware synths.

_leras wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:53 pm
jemaudio wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:33 am I did a track earlier this year for the KVR OSC #155 (Any Synth) using only Super 8 as the sound source, I selected this synth out of many because of its intuitive interface and low tax on the CPU. To me, the sound is full and rich.

I do like super 8, and think it sounds pretty good. I think it's just not quite there in terms of presence that a 'real'/analog synth. I think PolyMAX is just closer in terms of that 'presence' that comes from hardware synths.
Thank you _leras :wink: . I haven't tried PolyMAX, but listening to the demo video it does have a pretty fat and clean sound. I've tried a few soft-synths that are aimed toward that end and have found Repro 5 from u-He to be incredibly analog-sounding too; though pretty CPU intensive. Wondering how PolyMAX stands in comparison.

_leras wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:53 pm

I have both (yes both). Super 8 can be equally as "present" or dull or whatever. You just have to know how to do it. Like the guy which posted really cool Super 8 track.

You see now you brag about the "presence" of a sound in his track while in fact, that can mean anything or can be caused or lack by anything in post-production. It's his elementary track design choice, not the sound of a synth.

Usual UAD crowd or wannabe UAD user nonsense.

Run both synths on their dry, they are pretty same in practical terms. The difference is that one was released years before.

But ok strong marketing makes people know for new product and now they think they discovered something revolutionary. Cherry!

The point is - When it comes to synthesis and vanilla emulations U-he or companies such as Ni or Tone 2 (or niche small teams) topped this kind of synthesis evolution literally a decade ago.

And all that UAD crowd that claims something is revolutionary with this synth can do now with this supposedly "sick" release is - to put the head in the sand and (where it belongs).

Snake oil shit needs to be eradicated because we are in 2022.

I am actually stumped by people claiming PolyMax has some sort of something because it does not. Okay. I was there once, to begin with. So I am partly a hypocrite for criticizing this nonsense.

kmonkey wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:42 am You see now you brag about the "presence" of a sound in his track while in fact, that can mean anything or can be caused or lack by anything in post-production. It's his elementary track design choice, not the sound of a synth.

Usual UAD crowd or wannabe UAD user nonsense.

Run both synths on their dry, they are pretty same in practical terms. The difference is that one was released years before.
I'm not bragging about anything, just expressing what I think I hear.

My Super 8 opinion is based on having it as part of komplete and making patches on in and comparing to other things I use.

I haven't demoed PolyMAX, as don't want to test a subscription, as already own a UAD card. I'm just going on what I've heard so far.

I did just pick up UAD Opal though, and think it also sounds great.

UA is offering 3 months of Spark for 99 cents per month (new customers only) so I jumped in to give myself an extended demo of this and some of the other plugins I didn't already own. This is very boring sounding indeed. It feels like someone tried to make the cleanest sounding analog synth out there. The filters are clean and boring, the same is true for the VCAs, even the FX are on the cleaner side. Additionally, the GUI is too small (could've benefited with an additional 20% on my PC and Macbook both) and the hardcoded MIDI assignments are highly annoying as expected. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't sound bad. But it just doesn't click with my ears. Reminds me a bit of E-Phonic's Invader 2 but not as good sounding (Invader 2 is underrated).

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:15 pm This is very boring sounding indeed. It feels like someone tried to make the cleanest sounding analog synth out there. The filters are clean and boring, the same is true for the VCAs, even the FX are on the cleaner side.

Don't get me wrong, it doesn't sound bad. But it just doesn't click with my ears. Reminds me a bit of E-Phonic's Invader 2 but not as good sounding (Invader 2 is underrated).
Well done for jumping the hoops to demo it!

It is a simple synth, no doubt. I like the cleanness, and the presence of the tone. I think it will handle fx and dirtying up very well. I think UAD are pretty brave to bring something new. Hope it goes on sale, or their demo policy gets improved.

From YT videos, Invader 2 is in the same direction, but does not quite have the solidity.

_leras wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:12 pm A walk through presets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xWDeXgX11w
I feel like these preset walk-through videos should be made by real keyboard players.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

v1o wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:56 am
_leras wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:12 pm A walk through presets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xWDeXgX11w
I feel like these preset walk-through videos should be made by real keyboard players.
I prefer for sequenced techno like patterns... but I would say I prefer demos that are not just random playing on first listen of presets. You can get an idea of stuff, but the best demos have some care taken.

That said, I'm glad people post this stuff at all... No one can get their hands on every synth out there.

Cracking Xmas sale at UAD. With £20 holiday and thank you vouchers I was able to pick up PolyMax AND their new chambers reverb for £75.

I'll endeavor to share some audio examples of PolyMAX when I get the chance.

Did you get these vouchers because you own UAD hardware? Just asking out of curiosity (and GAS).

Return to “Instruments”