Korg Modwave Native (VST3)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Purchased and first crash (Windows 11 on several DAWs, Live, Cubase and Reaper).

Steps to reproduce it:
- Load the VSTi
- Load the preset Alligator Dials
- play note or two
- Click on the right Arrow besides "Alligatorz"
- Instant crash!

Note: >>> It works fine in Mac M1 OS 12.6.1 (AU version).

(Don't have access to my windows computer for at least 10 more days and that is windows 10)
Cubase 12, Macintel 11.7.1 doesn't crash though from that repro... Clearly I can't speak for Windows 11.
rsp
sound sculptist

Sorry about the crash. I think that's going to be the VST3 parameter issue. (If you feel so inclined, you could check by trying the same thing in the standalone version on Windows.) Look for an update very, very soon.
Dan Phillips
Manager of Product Development, Korg R&D

Thank you Dan. I hope it will be fixed soon on Wndows.
On the other hand, I'm impressed and having great fun with Modwave in Mac land. The AU version works like a charm :) Great synth :tu: Very happy to have it.

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:02 pm Dan, do you think it'd be valid to support 14-bit CC mode for greater resolution for the Kaoss Physics pad?
Yes:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dan Phillips

Having Dan here is awesome. Lifelong Korg fan. It pushed me over the edge (for the 4th time this year with Korg...not much I own without Korg on the side). Purchased.

danatkorg wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:52 pm
aMUSEd wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:44 pm Any reason why the XY position params can't be controlled? eg I can map them to knobs in Komplete Kontrol but when I turn a knob the XY doesn't move
If Kaoss Physics is On, then the "Touched" CC needs to be On (CC20 by default, value 127) in order to control via CCs. This is necessary because Kaoss Physics is all about "throwing" the ball; you grab it, drag it, and then release. Similarly, if Kaoss Physics is Off, and Hold Position is On, then when the ball isn't "touched" it snaps back to the center.

That said, if Kaoss Physics is Off and Hold Position is also Off, it *seems* like we could ignore "touched" and always respond to the X/Y CCs. I'll look into it.
Thanks but this is by mapping the params directly from the exposed automation targets. XY Pos mapped to knobs updates the knobs when I move the XY using the mouse but not the other way round so I can’t control this using hardware regardless of whether physics is on or off.

It's the same with automation: set Touched to On.
Dan Phillips

danatkorg wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:09 am
EvilDragon wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:02 pm Dan, do you think it'd be valid to support 14-bit CC mode for greater resolution for the Kaoss Physics pad?
Yes:
All I can say in return is: pretty cool! However these don't fall into the standard 14-bit MIDI CC set (which stop at CC #63), so unfortunately I cannot use the 14-bit CC lanes in Reaper to edit such data :(

So if MSB is 18-19 the LSB should be 50-51. Would it be too much to ask for an option to regulate this?

I must stop trying the demo, its really growing on me...there are some great patches in there that shows what it can do...I think if I hadn't bought the Wavestrate in the $99 sale I would have got this...even as it is, I am still getting more and more tempted...long wait for the $99 price next November!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

I bought each of the trio for $149 and I don't regret it a bit! Those synths are from the exception that I pay more than $99.

Icarus, Massive X and PhasePlant are also from that exception due to the amount of work and details put into them results into masterpieces IMO.

For Modwave, when I was playing around with demo, I didn't need the manual first (of course I will read it for a complete understanding of the synth), I did a normal bass sound from init and that was very ordinary sound I could do it with any other synth. Then I begin to play with different parameters (still didn't touch any modulation) and I got super rich and unique bass! I bought it immediately after that. Unfortunately, I lost that bass sound that I did with the demo.

It's a great synth and very versatile to make own sounds. This is a big hit for Korg :tu:

Question for Mr. Atkorg or others: what would you say sets Modwave apart from the other 500 wavetable vst synths out there?
Softsynth addict and electronic music enthusiast.
"Destruction is the work of an afternoon. Creation is the work of a lifetime."

I’d say that Modwave’s modulation lanes set it apart from other WT synths. Extremely intricate movements can be created, alongside controlled randomness. Layering with samples is another area of exploration. The shear number of modulation options is another.

I’d also say that MW straddles a delicate middle ground in terms of timbre. In can sound angular and digital like other wavetable synths. It can also sound incredibly organic and natural when programmed as such.

Imho it’s currently one of the most fascinating synths to work with atm.
Busy saucing sounds - soundsauca.com

And don’t forget Kaooss capabilities, that’s a lot of fun…the Wavestate type sequencing is very good, the filters and fx are a very high standard as well….definitely worth a demo, could play that first preset for hours…
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Return to “Instruments”