Who's using software editors for their hardware synths?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS
cryophonik
KVRAF
Topic Starter
8874 posts since 7 Sep, 2006 from Roseville, CA

Post Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:47 am

losangeles wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:21 am I’m never quite sure when to use some of my synths’ vsts/dedicated software, and when to just use MIDI CC via the DAW. Is there any benefit of one over the other?

I tend to use the MIDI modulation (not automation) envelopes to control my hardware, since otherwise the physical settings and those being transmitted can vary- which can confuse me sometimes for knowing the momentary state of my patch/sound.
Ultimately, editors just simplify the process. They give you instant access to all MIDI-controllable parameters without having to assign CC/NRPN values in your DAW. Most of them also work as librarians that allow you to navigate and load presets in the synth or saved on your DAW. Some of them have instant recall that work like a soft synth, where the state of the synth can be saved and recalled when opening and closing the project file. For myself, if I'm only trying to automate a filter sweep or something simple, I often just use MIDI CC in my DAW.
Logic Pro | Prophet 6 | PolyBrute | Prophet Rev2 | Polar TI2 | Novation Peak | Sub37 | Blofeld | Slim Phatty | Minitaur | SE1X | A4mk2 | RYTMmk2 | Syntakt | Digitakt | Digitone

lfm
KVRAF
5929 posts since 22 Jan, 2005 from Sweden

Post Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:12 am

Need to use computer just to make presets kind of destroys the idea using hardware.
I even consider it fail if you need it and certainly ruins the fun of it with mouse clickfest.

Having an arp going you have two hands free to turn knobs, way to go, I think.
So picking synths to purchase I evaluate this and enough preset locations to save at.

cryophonik
KVRAF
Topic Starter

Post Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:25 am

lfm wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:12 am Need to use computer just to make presets kind of destroys the idea using hardware.
I even consider it fail if you need it and certainly ruins the fun of it with mouse clickfest.

Having an arp going you have two hands free to turn knobs, way to go, I think.
So picking synths to purchase I evaluate this and enough preset locations to save at.
Yeah, I agree that the main reason to use hardware is the hands-on fun and not being tethered to a computer, but ultimately, you're going to want to record it to your DAW (well, for most people), so the editors are great for that. :tu:
Logic Pro | Prophet 6 | PolyBrute | Prophet Rev2 | Polar TI2 | Novation Peak | Sub37 | Blofeld | Slim Phatty | Minitaur | SE1X | A4mk2 | RYTMmk2 | Syntakt | Digitakt | Digitone

vitocorleone123
KVRian
1351 posts since 30 Jun, 2014 from Pacific NW

Post Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:37 pm

Wouldn’t buy a hardware synth that didn’t have one.

pekbro
KVRAF
5271 posts since 29 Sep, 2010 from Maui

Post Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:47 pm

I would probably use them if I didn't have to buy them, I already paid for the synths, that's where it ends for me. lol

cryophonik
KVRAF
Topic Starter

Post Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:53 pm

Oh, and one of the huge and usually unsung advantages of editors…

…naming presets ;)

Tj Shredder
KVRAF
8198 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Post Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:27 am

vitocorleone123 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:37 pm Wouldn’t buy a hardware synth that didn’t have one.
Exactly…!

tehlord
KVRAF
8132 posts since 22 Sep, 2008 from Windsor. UK

Post Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:40 am

As a long time user of hardware synths since the late 80s.....

I prefer using software over almost any hardware synth interface.

I know, right...?

CapnLockheed
KVRAF
2636 posts since 12 Mar, 2002 from Central NY

Post Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:34 pm

Yeah, I'd MUCH rather edit an 80's Yamaha FM synth from the front panel.........NOT!! :D
Without software editors it's like trying to paint a room....from outside the house...through a one inch opening......with a one inch brush taped to the end of a ten foot pole. If there's a software editor for ANY hardware synth I own.....I'm using it. Performance is one thing. Twiddling knobs IS fun. Deep programming and studio work are different situations.

YMMV.
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”