Standing up or sitting down?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Always standing.

Generally sitting, but it depends on my current THC level... a little, and I'm dancing, but too much, the room is dancing and I get dizzy.
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

Sitting, unless I'm practising for a gig.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Sometimes sitting, sometimes standing. It depends on the guitar really. I would not even consider standing with my brass plated resonator (if you think a Les Paul is heavy, think again). I also prefer to sit down with guitars that have a strong neck dive.

And my favorite is: slumped on the couch.

I experimented with having an extra guitar strap through the crotch too standing up to get the same feeling guitar remains in place doing upward bends and such. It works.

So prefer the sitting down feel either sitting or standing - guitar locked in place.

well that sounds dangerous.

I sit in a tub of creamed corn.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

RunBeerRun wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:22 pm I sit in a tub of creamed corn.

with or without trouserage?

asking for a friend.

lfm wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:51 pm I experimented with having an extra guitar strap through the crotch too standing up to get the same feeling guitar remains in place doing upward bends and such. It works.

So prefer the sitting down feel either sitting or standing - guitar locked in place.
This is the way and more people need to hear it.

I literally haven't played standing up for years until recently, dug my strap out and it felt awful; angle of the guitar all wrong, slipping and sliding all over the place etc. So, staying seated, if it's ok for Fripp... :)

Generally sitting these days but I can't play thrashier stuff seated without clattering my hand off my thigh!

revvy wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:42 pm Not sure if there’s a bass/guitar divide on this?

I play bass (quite an heavy P bass) and really can’t get comfortable when I try to play sitting down.
I think there is, although I’m not really a guitarist so my conclusion is based on my terrible 6-string hacking. :help: My G&L L-2000 is also very heavy and not very easy to play when sitting. My MIM Fender P-bass is lighter and easier to play when sitting, but my 5-string Laklands are much easier to play when standing. It also depends very much on the style I’m playing. For straight up finger style, I can get by just fine if I’m sitting, but still prefer standing. For slapping it, I want the bass sitting a little higher and I have a hard time getting the angles I need when sitting. If I’m grinding with a pick, my bass is usually slung low and I have to be standing.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

For me standing or sitting mostly depends on back / knees conditions.
Furthermore, yes, I think there is a bass/guitar divide, and for me there is sure a shape divide.

My V / Rhoads / Explorer have the strap lock/knob on the back, the fretboard angle makes this very comfortable for me to play standing, even when the guitar is hanging pretty low. These get played 70% standing 30% sitting.
Superstrats have the strap lock/knob on the upper horn, here the fretboard angle kills my left wrist, I need to keep the guitar high... find this less comfortable, so I almost always sit.

As for bass, Soundgear and BTB are basically bigger superstrats :hihi: play seated or standing with a very short strap.

Return to “Guitars”