Korg Op6 vs Arturia DX7 V (vst comparison only), thoughts?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

perpetual3 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:19 pm As far as a DX7 emu is concerned I use the Plogue OPS7. All of Plogue’s fm synths have IMHO more character and presence that the competition by an obvious margin.
I owned both, the original DX7 and a DX7 II/TX 802. By far the second incarnation sounded much, much better. I actually prefer even Dexed for original DX7 sounds, as Dexed supports MPE…
I mean that's fair enough. Though I'm a little unclear on your example. It sounds like all you'd need is to have the attack rate on the modulator operator be slower than that of the carrier, so that you hear the modulation swelling over time, no?
I need to play the swell with my LinnStrument. Sustain needs to be a modulation target… Three complete segments are sufficient mostly, if I wanted movement during sustain, I can still modulate on top of that with a LFO…
And yes, the CZ series had also usable envelopes. Both synths are from the last millenium. Its almost 40 years later and synth designs still stick to ADSR…

It's a shame the op6 only uses adsr, but for me it's not a huge deal breaker given what else it can do.

The dx7 v has more envelop options and I already own that. But i'm coming to the conclusion the sound quality isn't great. I've no idea how accurate it is as i've never owned or played the hardware, but it sounds a bit muffled to me. Not as clear

The other options I've found are only 4 operator synths (for some reason), including Cherry Audio's recent 'Sines'. But i have Zebra so those seem redundant

what about Blue3 ?

I wish Arturia would release a v2 where you can create your own algorithm. That's one place where the opsix has a clear advantage. Dx7v with build your own algo would be a pretty serviceable FM8 replacement.
Softsynth addict and electronic music enthusiast.
"Destruction is the work of an afternoon. Creation is the work of a lifetime."

carrieres wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:03 pm what about Blue3 ?
Same problem as with F Em: the price.

I'm commenting on Op6 because it's on sale. These aren't

Greenstorm33 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:58 pm I wish Arturia would release a v2 where you can create your own algorithm. That's one place where the opsix has a clear advantage. Dx7v with build your own algo would be a pretty serviceable FM8 replacement.
I have FM8 but the GUI doesn't size properly on my laptop and i really hate how it does envelopes

NoriSato wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:55 am also have original YAMAHA DX-7 H/W from 1970s.
Nothing beats my JP-8000 from the 1950s! Who doesn't love some supersaw rocknroll?! :D

OT: I have DX7V, Bazille, Sytrus, so I'll only consider the Korg one if it's really cheap.

If you use Reason you might be interested in Algoritm, it has 9 ops, but they can also be a filter, wave shaper, or wavetable osc. Free routing.

Zero is similar to FM8, but with some added features.
Both sounds really good.

One day, maybe in my next life, I'll try to dedicate myself to the ins and outs of FM synthesis. I've seen the plethora of routing diagrams that be, so I guess those will be my starting points.
If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit.

ghostwhistler wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:12 pm
nominil wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:45 pm But it *is* subjective in that it depends on what you want.

Are we talking about the GUIs? how important are certain aspects of the GUIs of the two synths to you?

How important is simplicity of synth architecture?

Do you want more and varied built-in effects, or do you prefer to use other VSTs for that?

Do you want or need something that's got a bajillion presets in the wild or does that matter?

That's just for starters.

I'd rather have both. Opsix has a number of options that are nice for modern sound design, but I like the straightforward nature of the DX7's architecture. I would not be able to choose.

If you can't demo both synths somehow and you don't want to plod through YouTube videos of both synths, then tell us what's important to you in a synth and go a bit more in-depth than "which bear is better?"
ghostwhistler wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:31 pm
gentleclockdivider wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:20 pm 1. " Is one better ?"
-According to some people , one will be better then the other .
2." If so why ? "
-Subjective reasons
I asked a serious question, this is just stupid. Blocked
Great, so let me hear your opinions. Seems odd to reply to a request for opinions by just saying "what's the point of posting an opinion".

Something someone might say could resonate with me and spark interest.

I'm looking at the opsix vst because Korg is having a sale right now and I don't like the fx in the arturia dx7, conversely the latter appears to offer more modulation options and envelope options.
I love DX-7 V, mostly because it sounds great and I like how the envelopes are overlaid on each other. Makes things very intuitive to use. I’d never consider effects as a reason to buy or not buy a synth, unless they were integrated with the mod matrix in some interesting way. I always disable synth effects and go to dedicated plugins anyway.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I had a DX7 for decades, which I babied until selling it 10 years ago. The DX-7 V sounds incredible.. close enough to the original DX7 for my ears.. and more importantly is patch compatible with the original. So.. there are literally thousands of patches freely given away, which work. I had four sound cartridges for my dX7, and never once was motivated to try and program it. The DX-7 V.. makes programming FM a snap. Backward patch compatible means... zero effort to try and figure out the operators for example... say a slap bass. Just load a slap bass preset.. and tweak away. More importantly.. applying aftertouch and effects is a snap. More? Well, if you have Arturia's Analog Lab.. layer away, with one of their other instruments, or multiple copies of the DX-7. It's endlessly timbre rich. Anyway - Im sure the Op6 is nice also . . . But im way biased to the DX-7 V

I downloaded a demo for a 4 osc fm synth called Omega by BLEASS.

It doesn't have different waveforms and is only adsr. But within that, the user interface was one of the best I've ever seen. Really easy to use and sounded pretty good.

If you don't mind sticking with DX7-V and OPsix only, try Flowmotion from Wave Audio.

It has only 4 ops, and only ADSR envelope. But it do not use algolythm or FM matrix, use a very unique interface that is intuitive and easy to use. It also has good filter, so you can mix subtractive synthesis. Feature set is somehow limited, but currently it's on sale, only $29.99 .

NoriSato wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:21 am If you don't mind sticking with DX7-V and OPsix only, try Flowmotion from Wave Audio.

It has only 4 ops, and only ADSR envelope. But it do not use algolythm or FM matrix, use a very unique interface that is intuitive and easy to use. It also has good filter, so you can mix subtractive synthesis. Feature set is somehow limited, but currently it's on sale, only $29.99 .
Thanks

I was going to try the demo but didn't fancy creating an account.

But honestly, i have zebra which can do 4 oscillator fm probably just as well. Maybe i'll give it a try, but i'd rahter a full 6 operator set

ghostwhistler wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:02 pm
carrieres wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:03 pm what about Blue3 ?
Same problem as with F Em: the price.

I'm commenting on Op6 because it's on sale. These aren't
Shame you missed it, but F’em was $29 at Audio Deluxe this August. It’s got a bit of a learning curve compared to the others mentioned but it’s a great plugin.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Return to “Instruments”