Is REAPER the current best long term choice?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

shatteredmindofbob wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:48 pm but I don't understand why the MIDI editor gets singled out so hard.
Because it sucketh thyn hairy wang.

Does that help with your understanding?
Last edited by jinotsuh on Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Say NO to CLAP!

shatteredmindofbob wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:48 pm I'm still confused as why the MIDI is considered so horrible. The Reaper midi editor, to me, makes a lot more sense than Ableton Live's where you can only draw notes by double-clicking and then CONTINUING to hold down the mouse button before releasing it, while Reaper's works, well, the way I'd expect it to work.

Plus, there's the fact that you CAN change the settings, unlike in Ableton Live.

I'll agree that there are a lot of defaults in Reaper that make zero sense to me, but I don't understand why the MIDI editor gets singled out so hard.
There are no problems with the MIDI editor in Reaper...

It's easy to work with and the MIDI filter makes selective editing a breeze...

Like most situations when people have an issue with something,it is usually user error 🥳
No auto tune...

digitalboytn wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:44 am Like most situations when people have an issue with something,it is usually user error 🥳
In this case it's just preference.
I think it sucks because it doesn't work the way I'm used to OR the way I think it should
void main(dumb)

jamcat wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:29 pm the plugin menu looks like it’s straight out of 1998
my thoughts exactly... i like reaper for some things but that plugin wrapper looks so '98. feels like a time warp lol but hey... they say it works in linux so :dog:

i WILL say i use reaper when i run acustica audio... it is amazing how it runs those plugs compared to other DAWs

cheers
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

The good thing about all of this is that we have choices...

So we make a choice in line with our personal preferences and then get on with making music...

Simple 🥳
No auto tune...

Last edited by jinotsuh on Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Say NO to CLAP!

MadDogE134 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:12 am
jamcat wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:29 pm the plugin menu looks like it’s straight out of 1998
my thoughts exactly... i like reaper for some things but that plugin wrapper looks so '98. feels like a time warp lol but hey... they say it works in linux so :dog:
There are people who simply don't care about such UI stuff and there are people who do.
Even though Reaper allows visual customization of the main interface, most of it is not skinnable.
People come and say "look how my Reaper looks like Protools" and whatnot... but as soon as you open any window and start using it... the illusion is gone.
void main(dumb)

Any popular DAW is best long term choice.

Igro wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:14 am Any popular DAW is best long term choice.
preach! (do people still say that?)
I chose to stick to Live although I think it's ugly as f*. It's consistently ugly throughout and not pretending :hihi:
void main(dumb)

sQeetz wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:27 am
Igro wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:14 am Any popular DAW is best long term choice.
preach! (do people still say that?)
I chose to stick to Live although I think it's ugly as f*. It's consistently ugly throughout and not pretending :hihi:
I stick to warm looking DAWs. They tend to smear teansients in very analog way.

the best ones are the ones with spinning photo realistic reel to reel tapes, swappable to cassettes, DAT or vinyl in their transport, exchangeable glowing tubes in their mixer, and animated lava lamps in their track view
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

sQeetz wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:27 am preach! (do people still say that?)
I try and sqeetz it into every interaction.

Unaspected wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:08 am I try and sqeetz it into every interaction.
Quite unaspected answer, but it's ok.. :lol:
void main(dumb)

sQeetz wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:50 pm
Unaspected wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:08 am I try and sqeetz it into every interaction.
Quite unaspected answer, but it's ok.. :lol:
:D

FapFilter wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:13 am the best ones are the ones with spinning photo realistic reel to reel tapes, swappable to cassettes, DAT or vinyl in their transport, exchangeable glowing tubes in their mixer, and animated lava lamps in their track view
A tiny bit of skeumorphism done right is best, imho. Bitwig does it right, Logic, too... None at all like Live is....an acquired taste.
And stripping a skin over just the surface while leaving everything else like a beta test version of your app is..... something else. That's what Reaper looks like to me.
void main(dumb)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”