Is there a global reset in Cubase 12?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I couldn't find one, though a net search found ctr/shift/alt (or something similar) if you press quick before the screen starts - though it looked like that was for 10.5...couldn't find anything specifically for C12. I know there's a preference reset, but that's not what I need - need to completely reset everything to default.

I've lost midi control. Likely some setting I tweaked when I first got it. I get midi activity showing up in the green bar but it won't actually trigger keys etc. Yet I can play on plugin keyboard GUIs via mouse and all the editors work - step/drum/pianoroll etc. It's receiving midi but not sending it to keyboards/plugins. Weirdly, I could briefly get it to play when I hit record...it played and recorded but once the punch out happened - midi disappeared again. I assumed I'd set something wrong in the record modes but nothing I do seems to put it right, so...Reset if I can. Even when I downloaded the latest update I hoped it might reset it but it kept all the same settings and midi still wouldn't work. I've resorted to using old 10.5 to do any playing but it's not ideal.

Any ideas how I reset everything to default so I can unbugger what I obv buggered up?

Record has to be armed on the midi track as well, maybe that’s it from what you mentioned about it working when you record. You don’t have to be recording but the red light for the midi track must be on.

Kritikon wrote:
I've lost midi control. Likely some setting I tweaked when I first got it. I get midi activity showing up in the green bar but it won't actually trigger keys etc. Yet I can play on plugin keyboard GUIs via mouse and all the editors work - step/drum/pianoroll etc. It's receiving midi but not sending it to keyboards/plugins.
May I ask what you’re using as your MIDI Interface? Is it a USB keyboard or an audio/MIDI IO device with a MIDI keyboard plugged in? Also: what platform? I’ve seen this behavior with a MOTU M2 on the Mac Ventura platform.
On a number of Macs

Check whether you accidentally have set your MIDI device as input for QuickControls, that can have some weird effect in my experience. Also you could try inserting the MIDI monitor plugin in the MIDI inserts section in the inspector to see if actual MIDI data arrives.
Regarding preferences: first thing to try is temporarily disabling preferences, described in the manual
https://steinberg.help/cubase_pro/v12/e ... e%2Cdialog

If that helps, just delete them permanently in the dialog.

Deleting everythinghas to be done manually. The location of the preferences folder is described here:
https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... and-Nuendo
you can move these folders to someplace else for a test, but be sure to move them all, as Cubase automatically searches for older versions on startup and imports them.

One more thing, check ‘midi through’ whether it’s active or not.

yup delete the following directory
C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg
"Cubase 12_64"¨

but take a backup first

Weasel-Boy wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:38 am May I ask what you’re using as your MIDI Interface? Is it a USB keyboard or an audio/MIDI IO device with a MIDI keyboard plugged in? Also: what platform? I’ve seen this behavior with a MOTU M2 on the Mac Ventura platform.
Steinberg UR22 on a Win11 laptop via a midi patchbay. Simply any of my hw synths through the midi port. I tried all of the synths on all of the patchbay ins, actually tried bypassing the patchbay completely and midi is working fine at the keyboard end. Any which way I do it, Cubase tells me it's receiving midi from any set of keys...it just won't send midi back out to either external synths or plugins (but only from external keys...it'll play GUI keys, pianorol etc).

fese wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:13 am Check whether you accidentally have set your MIDI device as input for QuickControls, that can have some weird effect in my experience. Also you could try inserting the MIDI monitor plugin in the MIDI inserts section in the inspector to see if actual MIDI data arrives.
Regarding preferences: first thing to try is temporarily disabling preferences, described in the manual

Deleting everythinghas to be done manually. The location of the preferences folder is described here:
you can move these folders to someplace else for a test, but be sure to move them all, as Cubase automatically searches for older versions on startup and imports them.
Thanks, I'll try all of that. I might have been dicking around in quick controls, though I don't remember doing that. I'll try the midi monitor plugin, though Cubase's input monitor tells me it receives midi from outside...keys, wheels, etc all trigger the monitor.

Thanks for advice on preferences. I'll do all of that next time I'm in the studio. Thing is, I know it must be me who fiddled around with some setting somewhere, as 10.5 still works perfectly, so it can't have imported glitches when I upgraded. I vaguely remember playing with record modes and none of that looks complicated, but nothing there seems to put it right. It's the kind of thing that the more I fiddle about, the more I break it... :(

DMG68 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:25 pm One more thing, check ‘midi through’ whether it’s active or not.
Yeah, done that. All of the other stuff too...no midi filtering is on, checked all midi ports are active and ticked, reloaded drivers....etc. :?

astralprojection wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:27 pm yup delete the following directory
C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg
"Cubase 12_64"¨

but take a backup first
Thanks. TBH I'd just be backing up a broken Cubase :hihi:
I assumed the latest update would fix it, but obvs that just loads up the same settings used on the previous version. I guess if all of the above fails, then I'll have to consider reloading C12 from scratch, but have to wipe everything from my version of C12 first to make it a clean install. Can't really face that yet tbh. Took me half a day at least downloading it all last time. I didn't realize how much sample content there is. I'm on VDSL by the way... :?

fese wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:13 am Check whether you accidentally have set your MIDI device as input for QuickControls, that can have some weird effect in my experience. Also you could try inserting the MIDI monitor plugin in the MIDI inserts section in the inspector to see if actual MIDI data arrives.

Actually, thinking about it, that could be a stroke of genius! I should be able to import preferences/settings from 10.5? That version still works properly :idea:

Kritikon:

I mentioned I have seen the exact behavior your described occasionally on Cubase 12. I have found that I can quickly clear it by quickly flipping off/on my I/O box. From my point of view it would seem that every now and then Cubase 12 loses its connection to incoming external MIDI. Next time it happens, flip the UR22 or the patchbay off, then on, to see if it clears it. Can't hurt to try.
On a number of Macs

I'll give it a go.

I have a similar problem with my Wavelab Elements 11. When using it, some plugin freezes it and after restarting, even in "empty" mode, it is soft and nothing can be loaded. Crashes can be removed only from the VSTplugins directory plugin which corrupts the start, but at the moment I don't remember what plugins were loaded and I can't use Wavelab, because it still crashes at startup. Is there any way to reset the startup settings?

DMG68 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:04 am Record has to be armed on the midi track as well, maybe that’s it from what you mentioned about it working when you record. You don’t have to be recording but the red light for the midi track must be on.
Belated big thanks. :tu:

How did I miss this? :dog: The weird thing is it's so simple, yet it must be something new to C11 or 12. I came to 12 straight from 10.5 and the old one must have automatically armed any track when you selected it...or every track was already armed or something. Because I never had to manually arm anything. I just selected any midi track or input from live hw synths and they just played automatically. It did my f**king head in and I actually went back to using 10.5 as I couldn't find what I was doing wrong.

So I went through this thread and did everything. By the way, I don't recommend deleting preferences, I had to go back and reload Cubase to get it to load up after I did that :hihi:

Anyway, mate thanks for stating the obvious to a fuckin eejit old man that should have been able to figure that out. You're a lifesaver. :party:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”