alpha forever...upcoming modular synth

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

go_fig wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:34 pm Yes, but IIRC there is no way to define a feedback loop involving delays on the order of a few samples (at 44.1 or whatever sample rate). There are filters and other effects that can only be implemented with access to such fine-grained micro delays. Users have access to such effects only insofar as they are embedded into the modules you provide.

The technical issues around this are interesting to me, but I was primarily asking whether you as a sound-designer can feel limited by this aspect, or whether the existing modules already tend to capture what you would want to do at the micro level.
In Alpha Forever the smallest delay time is a sample. The easiest way to insert a sample delay into the patch is by using the previous node.

This is the previous (delays the signal by 1 sample) node:
(the NTrg output remembers its last stored value even when a polyphonic voice is initialized - can be used for glissando-like effects)

When using feedback, 1 sample delay is automatically generated and is indicated by a spot on the wire with a 'z' character.

Here you can see the delay caused by feedback:

Our delay node is using a millisecond as a unit. This is handy, because a millisecond means the same amount of time, no matter what sample rate the user is working on. The delay is interpolated and is also capable of handling values that represent a fraction of a sample, but this can cost high-frequency loss in feedback. However, you can get the exact length of a sample in millisecond units from the sample rate node and can achieve sample exact delay times by multiplication.

Here you have a delay time of 5 samples:

If you put this delay into feedback, you'll have a delay time of 6 samples. You just have to keep in mind, that each time you create feedback, you add a sample to your delay time. This can easily be compensated and is a must to do when building physical modeling patches (or things get out of tune easily).

So really: in this plugin, every signal is being processed at the sample rate, and every value is represented with 32bit floating point numbers (there are no integers or bools).

Every node added to Alpha Forever in the last 2 years was built in Alpha Forever first (even the filters) and was prototyped there (I used these nodes in my music, and replaced them when they got compiled). The only difference to the compiled version is CPU usage (this makes a huge difference).

And yes, I'd feel limited when modulation would be on a slower sample rate. I'd feel limited if I was not able to set values to exactly the point I want to, and I'd feel limited if I was not allowed to create feedback loops.
Alpha Forever Modular
Web // Youtube // Facebook //
Instagram // Discord

Anything new things in the works for Forever Alpha? thanks!

lalo wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:00 am Anything new things in the works for Forever Alpha? thanks!
Hi! Thanks for the question.

We did lots of things this year but just could not get to release the new stuff. For the next releases we will try to come up with a roadmap, so our users will know what happens when we are kind of silent.

The new version is feature complete since May, but the release is late due to me being slow with finalizing things, and COVID also got in the way lately, so we could not do a release when we planned. Anyways, we will roll out this release as soon as possible, it looks like everything is in place now, only documentation update and marketing stuff is left to be done.
Alpha Forever Modular
Instagram // Discord

9b0 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:25 am Anyways, we will roll out this release as soon as possible, it looks like everything is in place now, only documentation update and marketing stuff is left to be done.
Thanks for the info! Can't wait!

The '22 release is available now!

Detailed info on new features:
Devlog entry: https://www.afmodular.com/devlog/update-202201

New nodes:
// Saturator - anti-aliased saturator
// Foldback - anti-aliased foldback waveshaper
// Sine folder - anti-aliased sine folding waveshaper
// Clipper - anti-aliased hard clipper
// Polarity - anti-aliased waveshaper
// Reflect - anti-aliased waveshaper
// Allplus resonator - modified Karplus-Strong resonator
// New math nodes - SinH, CosH, ASin, ACos, ln, lb, 1/x

New features, workflow enhancements:
// GUI enhancement - ‘list select’ borders removed, inactive elements have opacity
// GUI enhancement - palette font sizes changed for a more organized look
// GUI enhancement - hover scopes appear time became shorter
// Workflow enhancement - replace selected nodes with the last node selected while keeping patch connections by hitting ‘R’
// Workflow enhancement - exchange node from palette while keeping patch connections by right-clicking on an empty area of a node
// Phase delay output added to Filter 1p Modulated
// 1pole Lowpass filter pickup output added to Filter 2p RC Modulated
// Allpass filter pickup output added to Filter 2p RC Modulated
// 3pole, 2pole, 1pole lowpass, and 2pole bandpass pickup outputstg added to Filter 4p RC Modulated

Fixes:
// Frequency shifter - fixed the noise caused by the frequency shifter
// Inactive nodes - fixed an issue, where several nodes became inactive when pasted
// Clipper AA - replaced the hard clipper with a more efficient anti-aliasing algorithm
// Fixed reverb nodes phasing artifacts, and reduced the amount of modulation
Alpha Forever Modular
Instagram // Discord

Thank you very much for the release. It's getting better and better.

So good, let's get into it so. Thanks for still developing.

Thank you!

Great. Thank you.

Thank you!

Hi. I'm quite newby in all that modular synth stuff.. And dsp in general. But I'm curious is this intentional/normal that simple sound patch with ADSR modulated node + OSC multi in Sine mode gets different sound on start? No modulation, no nothing..
Just sine wave and adsr _with_0.0_ms_ of attack portion gives different clicks on start. Not everytime but like 1 of 3 or 4 notes attack sound quite different in terms of frequency of initial click.

Entirely normal for a synth with "free running" oscillators. Modular environments usually are, because you could be running the oscillator as a drone without any note envelopes.

imrae wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 6:08 pm Entirely normal for a synth with "free running" oscillators. Modular environments usually are, because you could be running the oscillator as a drone without any note envelopes.
Ok. I got it. But is there any way to get the same result on every note? Kind of restart/sync I guess..

Looking at the docs:
The phase can be reset when the 'G' input has changes to a value that's different than 0.
https://www.afmodular.com/nodes/osc-sine

imrae wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 6:30 pm Looking at the docs:
The phase can be reset when the 'G' input has changes to a value that's different than 0.
https://www.afmodular.com/nodes/osc-sine
Thanks!

Return to “Modular Synthesis”