No MIDI... occasionally (Mac Studio / MOTU M4)

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Has anyone else experienced an issue where you have no MIDI whatsoever on your Mac requiring a system shut down / restart?

Here's how I experience this problem:
I'll boot up my Mac with a bus-powered MOTU M4. I'll launch any app that takes a MIDI input, such as Logic or any standalone MIDI instrument such as the Arturia Analog Lab V or Spectrasonics Omnisphere apps and attempt to play something via my MIDI-connected keyboard (mine is a classic Yamaha EX5).

The Mac sees the M4 as a MIDI interface. Audio in/out via the M4 works. But MIDI doesn't.

I know the problem is not the Yamaha, because shutting down the Mac (which powers off the M4) and booting again often fixes the problem without powering off the Yamaha.

I've experienced this problem with every version of MacOS since the Mac Studio first shipped.

If anyone has experienced this, please let me know that I'm not alone ... better if you have a fix that doesn't involve a reboot!

I've got pretty much the same setup (Mac Studio, M4, macOS Ventura 13.1). Haven't actually used M4 MIDI before (been using a USB keyboard) so I haven't experienced the problem you're describing, however tried it just now and MIDI seems to be working fine on mine (from a Korg Wavestation EX).

Are you sure you don't have a dodgy MIDI cable?

I'm not sure that I don't have a dodgy MIDI cable... but the symptoms point to some weird initialization issue. Because when I boot the Mac and MIDI is working, it stays working consistently. When I boot the Mac and it isn't working, it's gone. Rebooting my MIDI keyboard doesn't help... turning off and on the M4 doesn't help either. Only shutting the Mac down fixes the problem. Odd....
As for your experiment - I'd totally expect it to work 8 cold boots out of 10.

I have a M2 hooked into a MacBookPro M1 Max running Ventura and I have also bumped into the “MIDI input being occasionally dropped” phenomena. I have no idea what randomly sets it off, but I have discovered that quickly powering off the M2, then on, clears it.

So far, this always works and has never required a complete reboot of the MacBook, over here. The only extra step I take is to first power off the speakers because of the audio spike on power up.

This definitely appears to be a MOTU Issue.
On a number of Macs

I will see if I can get any response from MOTU

If the M4 also not working (no audio), the the USB port could be sleeping.
Do you see any midi activity light in the DAW when the midi is not working?
Not aware of any other reason.
Regards.
maanga

IMO it sounds like a faulty midi cord, slightly more resistance build up and a relatively speaking low power audio interface could have random fluctuations in connectivity, that get solved by a restart.

maanga wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:29 am If the M4 also not working (no audio), the the USB port could be sleeping.
Do you see any midi activity light in the DAW when the midi is not working?
Not aware of any other reason.
Regards.
Audio works. It's just MIDI that's very occasionally nonfunctional OS-wide.

machinesworking wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:41 am IMO it sounds like a faulty midi cord, slightly more resistance build up and a relatively speaking low power audio interface could have random fluctuations in connectivity, that get solved by a restart.
Hmmm... Ok. I suppose I can spring for a new MIDI cord and give it a try.

lightsfadelow wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:32 am
machinesworking wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:41 am IMO it sounds like a faulty midi cord, slightly more resistance build up and a relatively speaking low power audio interface could have random fluctuations in connectivity, that get solved by a restart.
Hmmm... Ok. I suppose I can spring for a new MIDI cord and give it a try.
It’s not the cable. I’ve found that the M2 seems to reveal the issue on a more consistent level when you load a new instrument plug-in into the DAW. Prior to the new plug-in insertion, MIDI input worked fine. After the insertion, MIDI input may fail.
On a number of Macs

Did you try another midi device ? Just to rule out if the problem is due to M1 or M4.
Are you using any USB interface between M1 and M4 or connected directly?

Regards.
maanga

maanga wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:07 am Did you try another midi device ? Just to rule out if the problem is due to M1 or M4.
Are you using any USB interface between M1 and M4 or connected directly?
It's not the connected MIDI kybd. Passthrough fails at the M2. The M2 is the sole MIDI interface. This is an M2 issue.
On a number of Macs

Can you convert USB 3 ports to USB 2 from bios and try?
I am not sure how to do it in Mac.
Regards.
maanga

maanga wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:56 am Can you convert USB 3 ports to USB 2 from bios and try?
I am not sure how to do it in Mac.
Regards.
No. Macs don’t do that. This is a MOTU/Mac issue. Their Loopback driver software is obviously not quite following Apple’s class compliancy specs.
On a number of Macs

MOTU released a new driver installer for the M2 (and M4 & 6). I installed it today and will see if it solves the problem. MOTU noted in the release notes that they addressed “sleep” issues, which I suspect are at the root of the problem discussed here.

https://motu.com/en-us/download-center/download/590
Last edited by Weasel-Boy on Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
On a number of Macs

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”