Rate the support for your host DAW

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I've got to say I had the best experience (of the three) with Ableton, Presonus second, Steinberg's support was always the worst.

Thought about crossgrading to C12 but knowing I'll never really get support keeps me away.

Your experience?

k

P.s.: For all things Dorico I just contact Dan Spreadbury. He's the best.

My current most used DAW is Logic. So that’s zero direct support, no?

I also use Live. Ableton indeed responded to my support needs in the past.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Another negative point for Logic is there's no dedicated Youtube channel, unlike for Reason and Ableton, which I also use.

soulata wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:18 am Hi,

I've got to say I had the best experience (of the three) with Ableton, Presonus second, Steinberg's support was always the worst.

Thought about crossgrading to C12 but knowing I'll never really get support keeps me away.

Your experience?

k

P.s.: For all things Dorico I just contact Dan Spreadbury. He's the best.
My experience:

My best experience I have is Ableton and Arturia. Top notch responsiveness and they resolved all that was giving me issues.

Steinberg has lately been really responsive on the forums so this is the place to go when you have issues.
Their email/ticket support has been useless for years but its for their whole lineup so guess thats the issue.

Presonus used to be somewhat responsive but lately not so much (+ the Sphere arrogance). Ive stopped with their products with v5 Studio one. Plus Ive had sever issues with 2 of their digital mixers that didnt get resolved (changed to Allen/Heath all is well) No more Presonus stuff for me at all.

Bitwig- they are quite responsive, but things just dont get fixed even if they confirm them. There are still bugs I reported in v3 cycle that are unresolved.

Arturia has always been great as far as support goes. But they don't make DAWs (yet).

Nm
Last edited by revvy on Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

top marks so far.

soulata wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:46 pm Arturia has always been great as far as support goes. But they don't make DAWs (yet).
Actually in some way they did until 2004- Arturia Storm

revvy wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:51 am My current most used DAW is Logic. So that’s zero direct support, no?
Nah, you can actually get phone support, if you're pushy and advanced enough you can actually get Level2 support (actually useful people)

it's a pain in the ass and they way too often try to blame 3rd party developers for their own bugs.

You also sometimes get direct contact by someone from apple via feedback form, if you outline the bug precisely enough.

But yeah, it's not great support and you need some luck to actually get some meaningful contact or feedback

Logic has great support—@ Logicprohelp.com.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

I've only had to contact support twice from Reason Studios(Propellerhead) in 15 years but both times the support was excellent. I also had no trouble getting in touch with someone at Presonus years ago and they got me sorted out. I've had to contact Magix twice. One time the support was quick and easy and the other they pretty much told me to take a hike.
Windows 10 PC. Reason. Cubase. Waveform. Reaper. Studio One Pro. Epiphone Les Paul Pro II. Nektar Panorama t4. Yamaha RBX Bass. Faderport 2. Eris E5 Monitors. SSL2 Interface. Audient Evo 4. AKG C214. Aston Origin. MXL 990.

Some answers from DAWs support were very nice and friendly but 99% of them are useless! This was my experience with most of them.

With Instruments it's different. Most of the support was useful from most of them except few are bad (Native Instruments for example), but most plugins developers are friendly and helpful (Tone2, u-he, Arturia, ... etc).

p.s. I didn't count license and installations problems, just the issues related to usage.

Cubase support has ranged from downright miraculous to you have got to be kidding me, so… thrilling story:
The time it was A above, I’d broken my dongle. It was old. I had VSL licenses on, so I had to send it to LA for a judgment. They gave me the Anything temp keys immediately.
This was right before some holiday, maybe not in Austria. but they’re like that, it’s Friday night and they got you Saturday morning.
But not not only was this solved at once, Steinberg in Indiana had quit the phones, but I got a guy by email in like 5 minutes. I hadn’t even updated to teh Yamaha, so no My Steinberg registration, just an original SX1 era key. Virtual Bassist was on it ffs. So he sorted that and I come away with a replacement key by end of day (5 in US). And I’d sent the email at 4. So as soon as I got back from guitar center everything was authorized for the new key. 2009.

that line of email support was done away with by steinberg.
VSL keeps on keepin on, mang

Bugs in Studio One take a long time to get noticed and fixed, because very few reports make it to the actual devs. Their 1st line support is OK but once they've gone through their repertoire of canned scripted answers, they never escalate to the proper function.

I've since switched to Cubase, which seems to be better at this. However there are still some similar issues. For example, there's a "known issue" where render in place loses send automation. It's a "known issue" among its users, but the developers seem to be blissfully unaware as the bug has been around since at least C11, maybe C10. At least those bugs tend to be rarer in Cubase, and they generally affect more niche features rather than central core features of the DAW like in Studio One.

In my experience Steinberg support is sometimes (but not always) very slow, but in the end they do try to help where they can. For WaveLab for example, the main developer is active in their forum and usually very responsive. They also have a great YouTube channel.

What I prefer in comparison to Logic (my "other" DAW that I use from time to time) is that support feels more personal. You see the same names over time in their forum and in replies to requests, whereas with Apple, everything feels very anonymous and like the devs are hidden behind corporate walls.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”