Am I the only one who doesnt like/has no use for Soothe2?!

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Am I the only one who thinks the plugin is massivly overpriced? I tried to use it several times but using FabFilter Q3 in dynamic mode is faster to me than dialing in Soothe2 in a way so it doesnt cut important frequencies.
For deessing I use a dedicated De-Esser.
I dont get the point why people love it so much. In mastering I do at least have use for Gullfoss bc it makes stuff better but faster in contrast to Soothe2…

Am I alone. Just curious :)

Never even heard of it. So I guess that means I have no use for it too?

I wouldn’t use it as a Q3 (or any EQ) replacement. I also wouldn’t use it as a replacement for something like Pro-DS.

Soothe 2 is there to tame ultra harsh resonances and it really should be transparent, unless it’s being pushed to extremes.

Also they do Black Friday sales, and I think maybe a summer sale?

elxsound wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:54 pm I wouldn’t use it as a Q3 (or any EQ) replacement. I also wouldn’t use it as a replacement for something like Pro-DS.

Soothe 2 is there to tame ultra harsh resonances and it really should be transparent, unless it’s being pushed to extremes.

Im faster and more on point removing the harsh frequencies with dynamic eq, thats what I meant.
I bought it on sale 💁‍♂️

elxsound wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:54 pm I wouldn’t use it as a Q3 (or any EQ) replacement. I also wouldn’t use it as a replacement for something like Pro-DS.

Im faster and more on point removing the harsh frequencies with dynamic eq, thats what I meant.
I bought it on sale 💁‍♂️

I bought it on sale 💁‍♂️

i think hes faster and more on point removing the harsher frequencies with a dynamic eq, thats probably what he meant.

Tendou wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:10 pm

I bought it on sale 💁‍♂️
Then you don’t need it.

I see no other reason to use it except if you run into harsh resonances that can be hard to remove maybe because there’s multiple frequencies and where sometimes the harsh resonances can be mixed in with wanted harmonic content.

I would never use it for anything else and I’ve used it extremely rarely.

I don’t even think they market for much else. I just checked the site and basically it’s a tool meant for severe problems

I’m not her to convince you to love it. I don’t love it. I don’t hate it. It does what it does just like other tools do what they do.

If something works better then do that.

vurt wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:31 pm i think hes faster and more on point removing the harsher frequencies with a dynamic eq, thats probably what he meant.
:lol:

Tendou wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:10 pm

I bought it on sale 💁‍♂️
But you forgot one of the most important points of something like soothe:

Spectral dynamic processors follow the input harmonically and automatically...

Means if you have some harsh frequencies in your bass and you remove them with i.e. dynamic EQ what do you do when the pitch of your bass changes??
Yes of course you could use some trickery to let Pro-Q3 follow incoming midi notes but that´s a whole lot of work which every Spectral compressor does automatically...

And as very rarely pitch of tracks stay the same this is a quite strong point for spectral plugins over dynamic EQs and your "faster and more on point" theory vanishes into thin air...

Dynamic EQ´s have their place... but can never replace what a spectral compressor does...

Literally none of the best albums ever recorded used any of that stuff. So I doubt it's suddenly needed now.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

I am sure you've got company but I wouldn't be without it. I find it keeps more of the good stuff; dynamic EQ and general purpose EQ seem like brute force tools in comparison. People have mixed forever without it so take all the raves with a grain of salt. Nothing wrong with having a desenting opinion or a different experience.

Tendou wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:31 pm Am I the only one who thinks the plugin is massivly overpriced? I tried to use it several times but using FabFilter Q3 in dynamic mode is faster to me than dialing in Soothe2 in a way so it doesnt cut important frequencies.
For deessing I use a dedicated De-Esser.
I dont get the point why people love it so much. In mastering I do at least have use for Gullfoss bc it makes stuff better but faster in contrast to Soothe2…

Am I alone. Just curious :)

Yup....

I demoed it like 3 times and it was not transparent for most mastering use, could not justify the purchase, so you are not alone. Dynamic or static eq does the job for me and does it better. Gulfoss is another thing but it is more transparent in its action, so gets used in mastering sometimes. For mixing I guess it could be more useful, but again at that price, I guess it could make some really bad resonant recording with lots of pitch change better, but for me it is always better to record again if possible and remove the problem at the source.

Agreed. I find much better results using TDR Slick EQ GE and Nova GE.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”