One Synth Challenge #167: Any One DAW Synth (Taron Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

briefcasemanx wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:04 pm Semi-interested in joining and using Reason's Thor, but I hate sequencing in Reason itself and would like to use Studio One with the Reason rack plugin. Probably against the rules though, I'm guessing it matters (for some reason) where the midi notes controlling the synth come from.
If using the Reason rack is not allowed, write your midi out to file from S1 and import the tracks to Reason and use Thor from there ...

Was thinking of using Thor too, but my Reason is very very very very old!!! Gone with MAGIX Music Maker!!!

dB

I decided to use Wavetable from Ableton Live, forgetting that you can't make noise with a wavetable synth very easily, although I figured out something workable.

https://soundcloud.com/taptapdoubletap/ ... ap-osc-167

Ableton Live 11
Wavetable x24

Effects
Inserts
Ableton - Utility, EQ-8, Drum Buss, LImiter, LFO, Compressor, Shaper, Echo, Reverb, Glue Compressor
Commercial - FabFilter Pro-Q3, Saturn 2, Pro-C2, Pro-MB, UVI Dual Delay X

Aux
Liquidsonics Seventh Heaven, Lustrous Plates

Master
Ableton Utility, Compressor,
Pro Q3, Pro L2, Gullfoss, Youlean

Hi everyone here is my track for this month. My tack was made in Ableton Live using the Wavetable Synth
Here are all the plugins used
KSHMR Essentials kick, Drum Buss, EQ Eight, OTT, Color Limiter, Utility, BX_Masterdesk, Neutron 3 Elements, SPL Attacker Plus, Multiband Dynamics, Limiter, Reverb, Ozone Imager, Saturator, Rotating Rhythm Generator, Compressor, BX_opto

https://soundcloud.com/user-783020495/wavetable
Last edited by BrainBeatMusic on Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Took a while to get this together. You'll no doubt not be the least bit surprised that it's all Yoshimi :P

To avoid all possible contention I've decided to withdraw this
Last edited by folderol on Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

BrainBeatMusic wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:35 am Hi everyone here is my track for this month. As my track last month was not mastered that great if someone could please do a sanity check for me that it is about the right loudness etc that would be great.
Final effects used to be added here soon.

Don’t know if you’ve edited it already, but at the time I’m writing this, personally speaking the balance sounds pretty good. Kick is punchy. Percussive elements pop nicely. Melodic elements aren’t lost. An improvement on last month Re: balance. :)

But that’s just my personal opinion, so take it with a grain of salt; I’m still very new to this compared to some!

Hi All!

Firstly a very happy new year to all of you! :party: I took a hiatus from producing music and my last entry was over a year ago, but I really want to persevere and resume my musical journey. :hyper:

Thus, I present to you my entry this time 'Perseverance', which is me, trying to express how I wish to keep persevering and keep doing what I love and enjoy most.

I hope you enjoy it and take care! :hug:

https://soundcloud.com/theexponent/perseverance

DAW: Waveform 12 Pro
Synth: 4OSC (33 Instances)

Native FX: TEqualizer, 8-band Equalizer, Compressor, Limiter,
3rd Party Free FX: OrilRiver, SuperMassive, Cocoa Delay, GClip, LoudMax, OTT, QuickHaas
Mastering: GClip, LoudMax
Metering: SPAN, Youlean Loudness Meter 2

I suppose I should have mentioned that I don't use as DAW (as such) at all:
MIDI keyboard -> Rosegarden -> Yoshimi -> Audacity.
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

exponent1 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:55 pm Thus, I present to you my entry this time 'Perseverance', which is me, trying to express how I wish to keep persevering and keep doing what I love and enjoy most.

I definitely enjoyed it, and I add my (remote) support for your perseverance :)

As a side note - very impressive cinematic percussions using 4OSC. Full-bodied and thunderous

puma17 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:51 pm
exponent1 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:55 pm Thus, I present to you my entry this time 'Perseverance', which is me, trying to express how I wish to keep persevering and keep doing what I love and enjoy most.

I definitely enjoyed it, and I add my (remote) support for your perseverance :)

As a side note - very impressive cinematic percussions using 4OSC. Full-bodied and thunderous
Indeed! Nicely expressive.

puma17 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:22 pm Here is my submission for this month challenge. Music first, and then a little explanation...
https://soundcloud.com/pomerus/puma17-misfit-osc-167

This has been a very interesting journey for me.
When I first saw the challenge, I immediately realized I have a problem, as Cakewalk doesn't really have a built-in synth. TTS-1 is a GM2 midi "synth", developed in 2004, with very basic sounds and very (!) minimal adjustments. I never really liked it, and always considered it an inferior sound engine, a bit like windows GM2 implementation...
Then I got frustrated, as I really wanted to participate, but I didn't have the time to find a new DAW (or buy a new DAW) and start a learning curve. And I concluded this was a completely unfair challenge, promoting the pro guys, while I (the misfit) need to move aside.
But then I decided there might be an opening here for me (and for good ol' TTS-1). Maybe I take it "as is", and use my newly acquired duckling-level sound design skills, and try to "get something out of it". And this is when the journey really started. I started browsing the sounds, generously applying effects (reverb and delay, distortion, EQ, etc), and allowed myself to get carried away with the dream-like atmosphere soundscape that was created.

Am happy with the result, and especially happy with the journey.
Yes, TTS-1 is a misfit. But for me misfits have true magic in them. This thought gives me hope :)

Synth used: TTS-1 (part of Cakewalk)
Effects used:
Deelay, Valhala supermassive, Fire (distortion+compressor+widener), MEqulizer, limited-Z, youlean loudness meter
Very nicely chilled.

doctorbob wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:28 am
briefcasemanx wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:04 pm Semi-interested in joining and using Reason's Thor, but I hate sequencing in Reason itself and would like to use Studio One with the Reason rack plugin. Probably against the rules though, I'm guessing it matters (for some reason) where the midi notes controlling the synth come from.
If using the Reason rack is not allowed, write your midi out to file from S1 and import the tracks to Reason and use Thor from there ...

Was thinking of using Thor too, but my Reason is very very very very old!!! Gone with MAGIX Music Maker!!!

dB
I started my non-band music production journey with Reason 2.5 and ended the upgrades at Reason 4.0. Thor was great, but it's sequencer tried to become a real sequencer and failed imho. As a die hard Reaper user, ReaSynth is out of the question. A couple of years ago, I picked up a couple of copies of Reason Intro 11 for my daughter and I, as she wanted to get into music production (the apple doesn't fall far lol). It was cool because it had all the synths and the NNXT sampler that I cut my teeth on, plus some new ones, and I've had fun using the rack as a vst in Reaper on occasion.

Fast forward to OSC 167.....I'm now remembering what a clusterf@$k of a daw it is, and on top of that I just found that Reason Intro has a 16 track limit! haha

I'm ending up going straight stoner/doom band with Europa.....I think I have one synthy pad sound in my track...the other 15 are guitars, bass and drums. Good times!
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

+++ Submission +++
I have really found some joy in using and exploring The Grid a little more.
Here's the final result: https://soundcloud.com/p-e-t-e-r-h/techno-mantra-23
Chant the Mantra!

---
Details: Bitwig the Grid
Around 30 Instances. Usual BW FX, EQ, Compressor, Dynamics, Delays, Reverbs, Tool. Third Party: ISOL8, OTT, Melda Stuff: MReverb, MTremolo.
Last edited by ] Peter:H [ on Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

abot81 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:52 am
BrainBeatMusic wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:35 am Hi everyone here is my track for this month. As my track last month was not mastered that great if someone could please do a sanity check for me that it is about the right loudness etc that would be great.
Final effects used to be added here soon.

Don’t know if you’ve edited it already, but at the time I’m writing this, personally speaking the balance sounds pretty good. Kick is punchy. Percussive elements pop nicely. Melodic elements aren’t lost. An improvement on last month Re: balance. :)

But that’s just my personal opinion, so take it with a grain of salt; I’m still very new to this compared to some!
Thanks for checking and responding. I had made an update since I originally posted (well 2 as one of them I exported just 1 channel lol) but had worried I may have mixed too loud now but you seem to think it is ok so will keep it there. I had originally mastered the track to under 14 LUFS as there has been talk by some that you need to mix to there for Spotify and had assumed SoundCloud had similar requirements but it would seem not. This is unfortunately why some of my last few tracks have been said to be quiet at least compared to others. I also totally messed up my mastering and mixing last month and have made changes to it but not sure if I replace the version that is live or upload it again as a remastered version.

I am still in my first year taking music producing more seriously so am still very much learning too.

Here's my effort for this month using the DN-e1 synth packaged with MAGIX Music Maker. All FX bundled by MAGIX other than OTT and Bass Professor.

DAW: MAGIX Music Maker

Track Details: 13 * DN-e1, 13 * 10 Band EQ, 1 * Vintage Distortion, 1 * efx_ChorusFlanger, 4 * Reverb, 6 * OTT ,1 * Bass Professor Mark 2
Master: 1 * Parametric EQ, 1 * Stereo Processor, 1 *Multimax, 1 * Limiter
Meter: Youlean Loudmax, SPAN

Stats: LUFS: -13.9, DR: 7

https://soundcloud.com/doctorbob/crash- ... agix-dn-e1

folderol wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:45 pm I suppose I should have mentioned that I don't use as DAW (as such) at all:
MIDI keyboard -> Rosegarden -> Yoshimi -> Audacity.
Nice track. When I read your comment, I wondered if your track complies with this month's rules. I think it is about working with a synthesizer that has been distributed with a DAW and it seems that this condition is not met in your case. It's Any One DAW Synth, not Any One Synth.

Edit:
bjporter wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:22 pm Welcome to the One Synth Challenge #167:

Info:
Pick your favorite DAW synth and go absolutely wild on it! You must use the DAW and the synth it comes with. Examples would be Ableton's Operator, or Reaper's ReaSynth.

Return to “Instruments”