f. 'em - a new FM synth from Tracktion

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
chipsynth OPS7 F.'em FM8

@Ou_Tis
@plexuss
First default preset as example. (It seems quite simple at least by timbre).
It is interesting that he is just one of the most eating patches lol.

c_voltage wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:31 pm @Ou_Tis
@plexuss
First default preset as example. (It seems quite simple at least by timbre).
It is interesting that he is just one of the most eating patches lol.
Yeah, that one's a good example of what I was referring to. Try playing with the two XY pads and you'll find it's much more timbrally complex (and more interesting) than it seems at first.

Am I the only way that can't get resonance from the low or high pass filters in the eq section? Moving the Q does nothing, it doesn't even show up visually

Toward_Star wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:08 am Am I the only way that can't get resonance from the low or high pass filters in the eq section? Moving the Q does nothing, it doesn't even show up visually
I did check now - it works for me, by sound and visually. Although i still use v1.1.3 (forgot to update all time), not sure how will be in latest.
But be sure that not selected "Cut" mode (for low or high), in which Q actually does not do anything. As well Gain in this mode has some strange behavior, so im unsure if it properly behavior.
While in Shelf and Bell modes all works noticeable.

Upd: did install 1.1.6 - no changes. (Win10 vst2)
Last edited by c_voltage on Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

It's currently on sale at VSTBuzz for 29€ https://vstbuzz.com/deals/82-off-fem-sy ... tracktion/

Held wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:09 pm It's currently on sale at VSTBuzz for 29€ https://vstbuzz.com/deals/82-off-fem-sy ... tracktion/
Thanks for that

Held wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:09 pm It's currently on sale at VSTBuzz for 29€ https://vstbuzz.com/deals/82-off-fem-sy ... tracktion/
thank you. i am check it out. is it really that good?

AntonioB wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:55 pm
thank you. i am check it out. is it really that good?
I have f'em. Looks like there are about 570 factory presets. Thats a preset pack of 570 sounds from a complex FM synth for 29 euro and you get the synth for free.

plexuss wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:20 am570 sounds from a complex FM synth
It is interesting, many of them are just multi-layering, that is without FM modulation itself. And yes, the Matrix is a very handy way for layering and mixing with FM by need.

And I say about layering inside each of "Layer 1" - "Layer -4". Ooh...

Just picked this up at VSTBuzz for around $30 (after the VST10OFF coupon and € conversion...).

Holy crap, this thing is amazing! :o

I produced a track a couple months ago over at Metapop, using nothing but (made from scratch) FM8 patches for all the sound design, which was a bit torturous (to be honest). It's still a great old synth, but between the really dated UI and odd functionality, it was painfully challenging.

Here's the result of that, for anyone interested: https://metapop.com/progtronic/tracks/f ... iii/268868

f. 'em is really like a modern approach to FM8 (and unlike FM8, actually has 8 operators :P ).

Really looking forward to working through the manual and learning about all the crazy/cool patches I'll be able to design with this.

f. the haters... :hihi:

This is tempting at that price. I hate the copy protection, but it is one of the few "more than 6" operator soft-synths.

After one hour
of playing
with it
have to
say
it's
pretty
nice

c_voltage wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:05 pm
Toward_Star wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:08 am Am I the only way that can't get resonance from the low or high pass filters in the eq section? Moving the Q does nothing, it doesn't even show up visually
I did check now - it works for me, by sound and visually. Although i still use v1.1.3 (forgot to update all time), not sure how will be in latest.
But be sure that not selected "Cut" mode (for low or high), in which Q actually does not do anything. As well Gain in this mode has some strange behavior, so im unsure if it properly behavior.
While in Shelf and Bell modes all works noticeable.

Upd: did install 1.1.6 - no changes. (Win10 vst2)
that explains it then, I've been trying to do it in the EQ section with the cut mode

Couldn’t find out from a brief look in the manual but is there a way of setting lfos to unipolar without using modifiers?

Darn i climbed into to check above lfo question, and immediately found problem :lol: : default preset, open LFO1 section, click "Assign" button, and then click to any of rectangles in FM matrix. All whole DAW become laggy as hell (even with closed synth window). Its just for me or no ?
Win10 \ Studio One4 if so.

Helps if init setting of layer (click to the recycle icon)

Return to “Instruments”