Morse code like sound spoiling recordings

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

Gotten back into messing with audio and recording from VSTs I had some years ago. I use Cantabile 3 as software to experiment with and to create stage 1 recordings. My PC passes the latencymon tests, and runs Win 10. It's an oldish PC but I never used to get these sounds on an older PC when recording. I use Asio4all as a sound driver.

The sounds are really difficult to describe, but they're basically a low frequency intermittent sound , like da da dah dah dah da da (I know right). I make ambient music and I'm loving the sessions making it, but no matter what VST I use, this sound keeps creeping into all my mixes.

If I knew what this was called, I'd be all over google with it, but can't find anything. Any ideas ?
Why not try some amazing fractal graphics for your art? I've got a site all about them at JWildfire Sanctuary

You work completely in the box? You don't use anything you record yourself via audio in?
If you export from your DAW and listen anywhere else, do you still hear it?
Is it every time exactly the same?

I think this is RFI (radio frequency interference) which your onboard audio picks up from the motherboard, due to bad shielding. When I still used onboard audio, I could hear my mouse actions (especially window resize actions) through my headphones.

The fix is easy: buy a good audio interface.

With the audio electronics outside the PC and properly shielded, it won't pick up RFI anymore. Unless you get a ground loop...
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Turn off your cell phone. Not saying that’s the problem, but it has happened to me before, usually when a text or call is coming in, you can get this bit of interference just before them.

DMG68 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:58 pm Turn off your cell phone. Not saying that’s the problem, but it has happened to me before, usually when a text or call is coming in, you can get this bit of interference just before them.
This was a huge issue for me at my old house, mostly bleeding in from guitars. It was crazy. Not VSTs, though. When I moved, the problem went away, but keeping your cell phone and any devices that use Bluetooth as far away from your computer as possible is a good place to start.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

If it’s ‘de de de daa daa daa de de de’ maybe it’s a cry for help.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

If it's "de do do do, de da da da" they're meaningless and all that's true.
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

Haha love the last two replies, maybe I should interpret it as a morse code signal and see what someone is trying to say.

Unfortunately though, no cell phone interference or other scenarios like that. I remember what that was like, this is a different kind of sound, more muddy and distinct from cell phone kind of interference, same kind of rhythm though, and it is continuous throughout the track.
Why not try some amazing fractal graphics for your art? I've got a site all about them at JWildfire Sanctuary

BertKoor wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:50 am You work completely in the box? You don't use anything you record yourself via audio in?
If you export from your DAW and listen anywhere else, do you still hear it?
Is it every time exactly the same?
Nothing else coming in via audio in. I do hear it after exporting, and it's not exactly the same, it seems to vary with tempo, so slower tracks it will make the sound but at a slower rate. I could probably EQ it out, but am desperate to find the culprit as it's distracting me from listening to the track I'm making.
BertKoor wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:50 am I think this is RFI (radio frequency interference) which your onboard audio picks up from the motherboard, due to bad shielding. When I still used onboard audio, I could hear my mouse actions (especially window resize actions) through my headphones.

The fix is easy: buy a good audio interface.

With the audio electronics outside the PC and properly shielded, it won't pick up RFI anymore. Unless you get a ground loop...
Good point, I did think is it time to get an audio interface. Cash is really limited though, so any suggestions for a decent budget one would be appreciated. What I don't understand is how it alters for different tracks if it's interference.

Thanks for your response.

Here's a quick example of what I mean, listen for the morse code like sounds in this. Any thoughts? seems to be in almost any track I do, so can't put it down to an FX setting or such.

https://file.io/DS21hWGu0o06

bookofthoth wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:58 am listen for the morse code like sounds in this.
I'm not hearing anything odd :shrug:
Can you try listening to that MP3 on another computer?
Seems like your morse code does not get recorded, so it only exists on your PC.

If it's really tempo-related as mentioned above, that suggests it's not interference (would have been my first assumption too). It's maybe something in the tracks themselves (which if you can't hear it on another device isn't the case), or maybe it's something resonant in the room, or the laptop/speakers being placed on an uneven surface and causing buzzing from resonant frequencies that way.

The file seems to have been removed, so I can't listen, but I'd suggest that you listen on another device or with headphones. If it's something resonating, the phones should eliminate that (unless you are listening on phones, then the phones themselves might be buzzing for whatever reason).

Just throwin this out there but are you sure its not you hearing, reason is, I have had something 'similar' and I have hearing loss related tinnitus
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

sjm wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:14 pm The file seems to have been removed, so I can't listen
I've got a copy here: https://www.bertkoor.nl/morse_code.mp3

Given the type of music (it's all low rumbling stuff), I'd say resonance seems plausible. I've got a radiator that will resonate at around 200 Hz if that frequency gets loud enough in the room. With the filter movement, it might be creating a pulsating effect as the intensity of the frequency rises and falls.

I think related to what sjm said - internal overs in synth due to resonance.
Or any other plugin used for that matter.

Some plugins, especially hardware emulating ones, are sensitive to levels from track to plugin also.
So some gain setting and adjust can be relevant.

So internal clipping is my guess.

Other way might be CC#7 automation to lower level in synth if daw does not have faders for that.

All this if this happends in the same spot every time, otherwise not so sure.
But it sounds exactly like spontaneous digital clipping.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”