Hydrasynth

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ok, I have found the Hydrasynth psu and the Hydrasynth (amazing), I will test in the morning...

Always the chance I messed up before! or there is more at play.

Are you using midi din or usb?
Bitwig, against the constitution.

BobDog wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:48 pm Also here you are saying that the desktop releases both notes, I'm confused!

Yeah my desktop releases both notes in poly mode (see first video), but in mono mode it correctly retriggers whichever one remains (second video). My best guess is they changed how they handle incoming MPE notes to fix mono mode and it's broken something in poly mode. It's also possible that duplicate notes never worked in Poly mode since I upgraded firmware immediately when it arrived. The keyboard is on firmware 1.5.4 and the desktop is 1.5.5, everything connected on USB with a mioXL.

So in summary:
MPE+Mono mode - bug free on both
MPE+Poly mode - bug free on keyboard, drops duplicate notes on desktop

For now I'm just running a tiny program on my PC to track active notes, detect note-off messages that would drop a note, and then resend the note-on message, it's not ideal but it's playable. I've got a raspberry pico connected to the mioXL for random midi bug fixing anyway so I'll load it there eventually and get back to my computerless freedom.

BobDog wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:02 pm Ok, I have found the Hydrasynth psu and the Hydrasynth (amazing), I will test in the morning...

Always the chance I messed up before! or there is more at play.

Are you using midi din or usb?
If you could also test duplicate note releases in poly mode on the desktop I'd be super grateful! It's hard to send a good report to ASM when I don't know if it's an issue with just mine or all of them

First of all excuse my rambling last night I had had a few beers!

I got the HS connected and It had v1.5.0 installed!

So I have installed 1.5.5 and the mono bugs are fixed as you say, very good.

In poly mode I get the same issue as you though with the note being cancelled, this is fine in mono mode though.

So it looks like I was totally wrong when I said the bugs were not fixed in the most recent firmware as I did not have the most recent firmware, doh.

John the Savage wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:04 pm Well, I personally trust your account of this, Andy, over anyone else's.

It's good to know that I can put the Hydrasynth back to the bottom of the wish list. :wink:

Cheers!
Unfortunately you were trusting an idiot!

With the most recent firmware (1.5.5) the mono bugs are fixed, also tested unison and that works fine as well.

There is a poly bug as detailed above by DarkenedMonastery which I can't remember being there before!

Found another "bug" though while playing through some mono patches:

With MPE turned on, a mono patch, and a mod matrix source of "MonoAftT" then we get the same fighting between aftertouch values as we used to see with the pitch-bend.

Setting the patch to "PolyAftT" fixes the issue.

Interestingly if the HS is set to MPE it ignores poly aftertouch midi messages, you need to send channel aftertouch on the LS. Unless I am missing a setting somewhere in the HS?

BobDog wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:44 pm With MPE turned on, a mono patch, and a mod matrix source of "MonoAftT" then we get the same fighting between aftertouch values as we used to see with the pitch-bend.
If I'm understanding this correctly, Andy, I think you may be running up against the follow bug with the LinnStrument...

viewtopic.php?t=591770

At any rate, I appreciate the feedback, gents.
And I remain vindicated in choosing the Argon. :wink:

Cheers!

Hi John,

Nope its different, with "PolyAftT" mod source I get the behaviour in that thread you linked on the HS which is understandable as that's the way the LS works.

With "MonoAftT" mod source the HS goes absolutely bananas, rapidly switching between all the aftertouch values.

I have attached a zip with a wav file, first one note with aftertouch, then a second note at the same time with aftertouch.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Oh, wow... Ya, that's not right. :?

Cheers!

BobDog wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:44 pm Interestingly if the HS is set to MPE it ignores poly aftertouch midi messages, you need to send channel aftertouch on the LS. Unless I am missing a setting somewhere in the HS?
It replaces poly aftertouch with MPE channel pressure when you enable MPE mode. FWIW the MPE spec says not to send poly aftertouch messages so I don't think this is really a bug.

By the same token though it shouldn't be including the MPE pressure messages in the mono aftertouch mod source at all

John the Savage wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:24 pm
And I remain vindicated in choosing the Argon. :wink:

Cheers!
After a fortunate week on Kijii I now have an argon8m and a micromonsta 2. Sadly the argon8m also has trouble handling two instances of the same note in the latest firmware, when you release one you lose MPE control over the other. At the moment I prefer the hydrasynth but I'll let the argon settle in for a bit and see if I gravitate to it more before selling it on. I've never really loved wavetable synths so no fault of the argon there, I just don't enjoy designing sounds that way.

The micromonsta 2 is my least favorite soundwise, but it's a definite keeper since it seems to be MPE bug free, can be bitimbral by MPE zone, and fits in the pocket of my linnstrument bag!

Am I crazy or does the Hydrasynth 2.0 firmware fix the janky pitch bend jumps When playing polyphonic?

I almost sold this lil bunny 🐰
I think it’s a keeper now

I just might buy Hydrasynth soon.

Did the 2.0 update fix most of the problems?

cryh4v0k wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:48 pm When I play the Linnstrument with my Hydrasynth Keyboard in MPE mode, if I switch back to the Hydrasynth keyboard a bunch of the keys are way out of tune. This seems to happen with every preset and even with an init patch.

Any ideas? Am I missing something or is this a firmware issue with the Hydrasynth?

Edit: Pitch bending on the Linnstrument seems to be what causes it. Touching anywhere on the ribbon controller seems to fix it until you pitch bend on the Linnstrument again.
Hi, I am experiencing this problem as well.
I am playing the Hydrasynth from a Roli block kit and this problem is still occurring with firmware 2.0.

The problem is that with mpe just before the noteOn the pitchbend on that new channel needs to be reset.

So when you use the seaboard and the hydrasynth keyboard together on the same hydrasynth mpe sound you get channels where the seaboard has left a certain pitchbend.

To fix my problem I wrote a little Mozaic script that injects a pitchbend reset just before the noteOn recieved from the Hydrasynth. Then with local off on the Hydrasynth, you can send the corrected midistream back to the hydrasynth.

If anyone is interested I will post the script on patchstorage.

Hmm, that's cool to know #AlfredR

Return to “Roger Linn Design”