When Fruity Loops turned into FL Studio...

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

In another thread about Bitwig Studio, I said:

"This reminds me of the time when Fruity Loops had free lifetime updates, and then Image Line changed its name to 'FL Studio' and said that it was a 'new' product, and you had to buy it even though you already owned Fruity Loops. "

Several following posts claimed that this wasn't true - it was. I well remember idiots on this very forum defending Image Line's actions, or at least, white knighting, because nobody could defend such a policy. Everybody who bought Fruity Loops was denied free updates to FL Studio. Many of the idiots on this very forum claimed that it was a 'different product' because it offered things that Fruity Loops didn't. Nowadays they are called 'upgrades', and they are included in the 'free lifetime upgrades' for FL Studio - which I have been using for well over five years now.

Maybe somebody has access to older forum posts where this was discussed, to prove me right.

unless it was deleted, you too have access to it.
search either the forum or your own list of posts under your profile.
if it was deleted, it's gone for all.

BenfordLaw wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:25 pm Several following posts claimed that this wasn't true - it was.
Nope! I still have a boxed Fruityloops 3, now FL Studio 21 and I never had to buy twice.

I remember it very clearly, it was a long to and fro with various people defending Image Line's decision. I expect the thread was deleted, as so many threads are, which get 'too near to the truth' on here...
Maybe you were lucky, T-CM11. Do you remember when Fruit Loops was changed into FL Studio? i.e. which year?

FruityLoops was renamed to FL Studio in 2003, version 4 I think.

Updates were always free. You are remembering it wrong.

There was a great uproar about it - those who said it was wrong, and those who kept insisting that FL Studio was a new piece of software and therefore it was fine for Image Line to not allow free updates to Fruity Loop owners.
I'll see what I can find on the Wayback Machine. Maybe it was discussed on other music forums. Maybe I was on another forum back then!

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/im ... -fl-studio

That's a review from when they switched, Pics of the GUI take me back. (No mention about above controversy)

The (ex)wife bought fruity loops for my birthday in 2002; seems I did have to pay in 2003 when they changed the name and added audio recording. It seems there was an option at the time, to keep using fruity loops or pay for the audio version renamed fl studio. Of course that was 20 yrs ago and I'm 67 now and don't remember quite as well..

Ah, thank you bluedad, I remember it was about the audio recording - Image Line said that this made FL Studio a 'new program' and Fruity Loops owners were not happy about it.

Perhaps you are mistaken with fruity tracks which was a separate program and later merged with fruity loops .
Not my video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zrbV01P5M8
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

In the article osiris linked to, it is mentioned several differrent versions:
Boxed versions: Producer Edition £139; Fruity Loops Edition £99. Prices include VAT.

£ Downloadable versions: Producer Edition $149; Fruity Loops Edition $99; Express Edition $49.

I don't use FL anymore but I bought the boxed version of 2 or 3 back in 2000 I believe. Actually may have been 1999. Either way there was an option for an extra $30 to have life time updates. When I log into my account I still have that and can use the latest version of FL studio. So they did honor the lifetime updates if you had the version that included that. Even said it on the box if I remember correctly.

It IS true - to some degree: I had to „reclaim“ a license and was NOT given the full blown version.

Lifetime upgrades were not included with the boxed version of the program.

Blaster wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:49 am Lifetime upgrades were not included with the boxed version of the program.
I never bought a boxed version though...

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”