Morse code like sound spoiling recordings

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thank you all for your responses, which I'm going to try and see what I can do. There was a mention of tinnitus problem. I can't rule that out, am an old fart so it's possible. So sorry for the terrible example file, I was in a rush, was too low.

Am listening through speakers and there's nothing on them to resonate, and they seem solid. But listening on another device am going to try.

Again, thanks for the responses, really helpful (and funny).
Why not try some amazing fractal graphics for your art? I've got a site all about them at JWildfire Sanctuary

I'd have to hear it, but "morse code like" reminds me of a problem I used to have. IIRC it was caused (or amplified) by a ground loop.

If the audio output is connected to an amp or speakers, try disconnecting it and using headphones instead. See if it goes away then.

BertKoor wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:31 pm
sjm wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:14 pm The file seems to have been removed, so I can't listen
I've got a copy here: https://www.bertkoor.nl/morse_code.mp3
Cool, thanks for that. I'm getting nothing (unusual) on my speakers (w/sub). Some serious DC offset with this file:
Morse code-mp3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Shabdahbriah on Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Yeah, I noticed that DC offset as well. It must be caused by the synth.
Didn't even know that's possible in an mp3 since technically (I thought at least) it's a reconstruction of the original.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

sjm wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:45 pm Given the type of music (it's all low rumbling stuff), I'd say resonance seems plausible. I've got a radiator that will resonate at around 200 Hz if that frequency gets loud enough in the room. With the filter movement, it might be creating a pulsating effect as the intensity of the frequency rises and falls.
get a contact mic on the radiator :hyper:

vurt wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:29 pm get a contact mic on the radiator :hyper:
Like the make-your-own-plate-reverb from Ikea thing?

sjm wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:09 pm
vurt wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:29 pm get a contact mic on the radiator :hyper:
Like the make-your-own-plate-reverb from Ikea thing?
:tu:

DMG68 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:58 pm Turn off your cell phone. Not saying that’s the problem, but it has happened to me before, usually when a text or call is coming in, you can get this bit of interference just before them.
Ah, you just saved me going down the biggest rabbit hole - and I did a ton of Googling to no avail. I've had this problem for years, but it never got into my recordings - I would just faintly hear it in my right speaker - the tick, tick, tick-tick-tick-tick. But then it recently started getting into my microphone channel when recording vocals, and I even disassembled a mic to see if it was some bad soldering. I was about ready to take everything apart, get a filter, or try replacing my interface. Read your post, heard the tick, moved my cell phone away from the side I have my receiver and interface on, and ticking stopped. I did that a few times just to make sure I wasn't gaslighting myself, and, man, this is great! FYI: For me, it had nothing to do with texts, but just simply the location of my cell phone.

Bodhisan wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:44 pm
DMG68 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:58 pm Turn off your cell phone. Not saying that’s the problem, but it has happened to me before, usually when a text or call is coming in, you can get this bit of interference just before them.
Ah, you just saved me going down the biggest rabbit hole - and I did a ton of Googling to no avail. I've had this problem for years, but it never got into my recordings - I would just faintly hear it in my right speaker - the tick, tick, tick-tick-tick-tick. But then it recently started getting into my microphone channel when recording vocals, and I even disassembled a mic to see if it was some bad soldering. I was about ready to take everything apart, get a filter, or try replacing my interface. Read your post, heard the tick, moved my cell phone away from the side I have my receiver and interface on, and ticking stopped. I did that a few times just to make sure I wasn't gaslighting myself, and, man, this is great! FYI: For me, it had nothing to do with texts, but just simply the location of my cell phone.
older non smart phones only received when a message was incoming, smartphones check in every so often in case of updates and such.

Sometime before, I read this is due to graphics card driver doing some thing.
Did you do anything with the drivers? What card do you have?
Regards.
maanga

BertKoor wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:31 pm
sjm wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:14 pm The file seems to have been removed, so I can't listen
I've got a copy here: https://www.bertkoor.nl/morse_code.mp3
I'm not hearing anything awry in that recording ... must be something in the OP's set up.

Hi, the replies make interesting reading. I've just got my headphones back, so am going to test it via those see if it's the same. The example file, well I can't remember what synth I was using but I noticed the DC going crazy, doesn't do that normally. I just put out a sample sound file while I was wanting to get feedback (no pun). Bodishan am glad you found the cause of the problem.

With me I think it's because it's going via standard windows sound drivers possibly, but if it disappears with the headphones then something speaker related.
Why not try some amazing fractal graphics for your art? I've got a site all about them at JWildfire Sanctuary

Just another quick reply, the sound is still there on high frequency tracks, da da dadada da da da dadada etc. That's through the speakers, headphone testing later.

vurt wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:47 pm
older non smart phones only received when a message was incoming, smartphones check in every so often in case of updates and such.
Well, there we go.

Bodhisan wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:31 pm
vurt wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:47 pm
Well, there we go.
Good to hear, great news! We all what it’s like trying to hunt down something that’s annoying us in the studio.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”