Arturia Minifreak VST

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OnePingOnly

TFW you highpass 99% of your sounds above 150Hz so "lacks massive low end" doesn't mean anything :lol:
Always Read the Manual!

Ive been using this thing quite alot for the last few days and its been great. its a great addition to Pigments to combine with. Ive also been eying the hardware version but havent been able to test it in real life since our stores dont have it in stock at the moment (or yet).

JS_SEA wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:36 amNot sure, but Arturia might have made it sound this way intentionally to have a different product than existing products.
Seems like a pretty stupid move to me if they did.
I agree "thin digital sound" is a good description, but what about DX7 sound to bring another example? Some like it, some don't!
You've never owned one, have you? The DX9 I bought in 1983 probably had the second biggest bottom end of any synth I've owned, after my DSS-1. I don't know anyone who'd say they don't like the sound of a DX7.
aMUSEd wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:55 amOf course they didn't - what they did was create something that has more of a West Coast character than some people are used to - using algos derived from boutique hardware modules from Noise Engineering and Mutable Instruments.
If that was the case, why did they also have to make the standard waveform algorithm sound the same?
The sound is pretty much the same as you would get if you combined a couple of those modules with a filter and effects section plus multiple routing and modulation possibilities.
And people wonder why I hate modulars.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

The MiniFreak V has no problem with low-end. This is a basic SAW wave (one osc) recorded at C2 with no filter.

MINI FREAK V C2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tony10000 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:12 pm The MiniFreak V has no problem with low-end. This is a basic SAW wave (one osc) recorded at C2 with no filter.

MINI FREAK V C2.png
Filter slope setting? e.g. 4.5dB/octave. Maybe show a saw from a synth that has "massive bottom end" to see how they compare, for the pedants here!

All I saw in this picture is too much fundamental personally, assuming a 4.5dB/oct slope. I generally set my fundamental to about equal with, maybe a touch quieter for lower keys like C or D, relative to the 1st harmonic. Never had any problems with my lowend lacking power (psytrance basslines, for context).
Always Read the Manual!

PieBerger wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:47 pm
tony10000 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:12 pm The MiniFreak V has no problem with low-end. This is a basic SAW wave (one osc) recorded at C2 with no filter.

MINI FREAK V C2.png
Filter slope setting? e.g. 4.5dB/octave. Maybe show a saw from a synth that has "massive bottom end" to see how they compare, for the pedants here!

All I saw in this picture is too much fundamental personally, assuming a 4.5dB/oct slope. I generally set my fundamental to about equal with, maybe a touch quieter for lower keys like C or D, relative to the 1st harmonic. Never had any problems with my lowend lacking power (psytrance basslines, for context).
"with no filter".

I think the perception of "thin" sound has more to do with the fact that this is a 2 osc. 6 voice synth. But, personally, I don't have any problem with the sound.

tony10000 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:53 pm
"with no filter".

I think the perception of "thin" sound has more to do with the fact that this is a 2 osc. 6 voice synth. But, personally, I don't have any problem with the sound.
Wrong choice of words on my part sorry. I didn't mean filter slope, I meant the tilt settings of SPAN, what is it set to? 4.5dB/octave, 3dB/octave, flat?
Always Read the Manual!

This is the MiniFreak V with both oscillators set to Basic Wave (Sawtooth), note C2, cutoff at 30, and Filt Env at 50. High resolution setting in SPAN (default).

MINI FREAK V C2 WTH FILTER.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tony10000 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:06 pm This is the MiniFreak V with both oscillators set to Basic Wave (Sawtooth), note C2, cutoff at 30, and Filt Env at 50. High resolution setting in SPAN (default).

but what is the tilt setting? It makes all of the difference because the low end will look stronger/weaker depending on the tilt setting applied.
Always Read the Manual!

PieBerger wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:01 pm
tony10000 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:53 pm
"with no filter".

Wrong choice of words on my part sorry. I didn't mean filter slope, I meant the tilt settings of SPAN, what is it set to? 4.5dB/octave, 3dB/octave, flat?
Default setting. I would assume that is flat.

PieBerger wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:08 pm
tony10000 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:06 pm This is the MiniFreak V with both oscillators set to Basic Wave (Sawtooth), note C2, cutoff at 30, and Filt Env at 50. High resolution setting in SPAN (default).

but what is the tilt setting? It makes all of the difference because the low end will look stronger/weaker depending on the tilt setting applied.
There is no TILT setting that I can find in the FREE version of SPAN.

Actually, most of us couldn't care less ;)
John Braner
http://johnbraner.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
and all the major streaming/download sites.

jbraner wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:40 pm
He hates just about everything! Grrrrr.....

"You've never owned one, have you? The DX9 I bought in 1983 probably had the second biggest bottom end of any synth I've owned, after my DSS-1. I don't know anyone who'd say they don't like the sound of a DX7."

Another broad, unfounded and patronizing comment. I hate the sound of the DX7. Always have.
Do you do anything else apart from trolling forums with your 'they pause, I pounce" drivel? You have no reasonable comments to make, you just go on forums venting spleen. Anger management issues are just the start. Your arrogance is laughable. Have you ever heard of the Dunning-Kreuger effect? You are a class example.

tony10000 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:47 pm
jbraner wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:40 pm
He hates just about everything! Grrrrr.....
Yeah there's no wondering about it :lol:
Always Read the Manual!

Return to “Instruments”