Looking for an (iOS) mic for travelling

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, I haven't been on here for about 4,5 years now as I thought I needed a little break from work but the 3 month sabbatical has turned into an ongoing journey to which I don't see an end anytime soon.

Thing is I stored my entire household and homestudio to the point I have no access to my gear but I am traveling with a backpack and an acoustic western guitar plus an iPad Air (3rd Gen). I now want to record some songs I've written along the way and I am looking for an easy mobile and relatively cheap solution to do so. I am willing to sacrifice quality to the point where I can tweak my recordings with Cubasis 3 to the level of a nice demo. My guitar doesn't have an amp so I would record myself playing and singing together or maybe do two tracks (one guitar then one vocal) in sequence. I might at one point add an amp to my guitar as to the option to plug it in when playing on a music night or so, so that's an element to consider, especially in regards to an Audio Interface (although I always preferred cardoïd mics to record my guitar anyway). Btw. I am predominantly a fingerpicker but I also have songs with more strumming and as such broader dynamics.

I've no real experience with (non midi) iOS audio recording other than quick and dirty using the built in mic of my iPhone and iPad (which to provide an indication I don't find too horrible) but I need advice for my options. I see there are mics which plug into the iPad using USB -some with built in 'audio interface' and this seems like the easiest option but I can't assess the difference in quality in combination with using a real audio interface. I also have a midi keyboard which I can hook up using an Apple adaper with two USB ports to add some arrangements to my recordings.

Can someone with experience in iOS recording give me some advice as to which mic and whether I should opt for an Audio Interface? And maybe say something about the difference in quality divided in say two, three options money-wise? I'm thinking in the price range up to no more than £350 but if I can spend £50 with only a 30% loss in quality I'd be more happy😉.

Thanks!
Win8.1 64x/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC222/Washburn D12/Ch. Les Paul/Behringer BCF2000 & BCR2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT 2020/2xB5/E825s/Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502

Hey, I know this is an old post, but maybe this helps—I recommended the RODE NT-USB to a friend to use with his iPad to do some VA stuff. You need a USB to lightning adapter (which I ended up buying for him for his birthday haha) but other than that it all works out-of-the-box. If you were happy to do the 2-take thing or record both together that would work well without needing a special interface on top. There are other good USB mics out there too but the NT-USB is a well-reviewed cardioid condenser that I think is worth looking at.

I have used the Shure MOTIV 88 for years and it is an incredible mix!

Hi, thank you both for replying to my question. I'm still in the market so appreciated! I've seen both mics and both seem excellent and at least on par with my AT-2020 which I used at home. The Shure seems to be the more versatile one recording wise with the multiple built-in mics but I doubt I'd ever use something other than a single cardioid recording and both seem of good quality that exceeds the built-in iOS mic.

I've always been kinda weary about USB-mics but I suppose this was due to the context of having an Audio Interface at home so for 'on the road' this seems like a legit option.
Win8.1 64x/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC222/Washburn D12/Ch. Les Paul/Behringer BCF2000 & BCR2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT 2020/2xB5/E825s/Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502

I didn't know if the topic was still relevant, so here's are my suggestions:

Be sure to ONLY buy the origirnal Apple Lighting to USB3 adapter

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W ... r?fnode=91

everything else is just burning money!

Mics:
For USB-mics (Podcaster Mics) there is a quite a selection of USB-Microphones from AKG, Apogee, Rode, Shure, sE Electronics, AT. T Some have an add. Audioinput or Headphone jack which can be of use.

A friend uses a Rode NT-1 USB and it's quite ok, the NT-USB+ is better. Apogee Mic+ (233€) is really good (beware there is also a not so good older version without 'plus').

There is also the AT 2020 USB+ but I don't know how good the ADC-side is.

Anyway be sure that the ADC is 24 Bit, some USB-mic only use 16 bit which is a PIA to record these days, as you surely know.

I use a mikme Gold & Silver but the aren't available anymore as far as I see but the sound of the Gold is as fantastic as it was expensive (these are also a recorder and do streaming directly to iPhone over bluetooth for video recording).

I wouldn't buy a Mic with an integrated Lightning connector, simply for the reason that you can't use the mic with anything else than the iPhone / iPad.

Audio interface:
Sure, you could also use an audio interface with the iPad and use the mic you already have. But you also might end up needing an additional selfpowered USB-Hub which is even more gear to carry around. Depends on how mobile you want to be.

Lots of USB-audo interfaces are iOS compatible these days -'USB class compliant' is the magic word. e,g, Steinberg UR 22 or M-Audio Air (if you keep the input levels under control).

so far :)

Hey, thanks for the recommendations. I looked up some of the mics and so far the Rode NT-USB+ looks (hoping sounds) the most appealing. Only negative thing I've read is that for some it can clip when recording louder sources. I do tend to play with dynamics when playing guitar so I'll look into it some more.

In this context the Beyerdynamic Fox mic was mentioned as an alternative. While cheaper it seems to perform a bit better in this regard.

I'm not sure how much can be controlled with the respective software and I suppose much will have to do with where I do my recording in terms of acoustics but all seem legit and very affordable options.

Spiritos wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:36 pm
PS:
I just see in your signiture that you have an Steinberg UR 44. That interface should work great with your iPad (and the Apple USB3-connector)

And as I wrote in my first post I’m traveling abroad and my entire household and homestudio is stored and stacked in boxes 😉

So I'm about to bite the bullet and torn between the Rode -NT USB+ and the Beyerdynamic Fox. I appreciate all the feedback which has led me to this choice. I just don't have any 'real life' experiences. So last question I have is which one would be theoretically better for my needs, recording with an iPad.

I prefer to play acoustic/western guitar and sing at the same time. Both cardioid patterns are the same. Rode is more expensive and imo a better reputation but the Beyerdynamic seems to add more warmth and doesn't clip with higher dynamics unlike some users mentioned happening with the Rode+. I realise it's an impossible question unless someone used both for a similar setup but are there any more words of wisdom or considerations to share on this bilateral choice? Thanks.

PS. I've read every review I could find and am aware of headphones falling out or clipping when using a headphone but I don't think I'll record much if any dubs or extra tracks. It's really about the best sound which to me is warmth.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”