Is it possible to produce an acoustic album recorded at home?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So far, the albums I've produced have been done almost entirely with virtual instruments (I've been doing mostly for Produccion Music Libraries).
But now I want to work on an acoustic album and also produce some instrumental album incorporating live instruments.
I would like to assess the possibility of recording at home, or in the typical rehearsal room rented by hours (if it is not possible at home due to technical reasons).
As you can deduce, I consider this as a cheap alternative to recording in studios.
What is your opinion about this?

Yes

With medium-high standards?
I mean, locating properly the mics, selecting what mics,...
But in your dinning-room

Aceituna wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:36 am With medium-high standards?
Medium-high for who? An amateur or someone with a major record label investing a couple of million in them?
I mean, locating properly the mics, selecting what mics,...
But in your dinning-room
probably that depends a lot on your mics and dining room.

But Springsteen's Nebraska album was recorded at his home, on 4-track cassette, and went platinum.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Neighbours probably not too keen on the drumkit...

Apart from that it's perfectly possible to produce good quality recordings at home for stuff like vocals, guitar, bass etc.

whyterabbyt wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:53 am But Springsteen's Nebraska album was recorded at his home, on 4-track cassette, and went platinum.
This, great album, but, it sounds like shit. If you aren't Springsteen, your album is probably going to be judged by different standards. Of course, any modern day setup that costs almost nothing will sound better than an 80s portastudio, even if you like cassette wonk.

At least as experiment, I would like to try.
For me, to be able to compose/produce at home is a priceless blessing.
And for my pocket.
I am gonna check some info/tutorials on recording (Puremix,..) and try to apply to home projects.
But trying to get the best results possible.

People would be able to give more specific advice/point you to resources if you'd explain which particular instruments you want to record.

Aceituna wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:49 am So far, the albums I've produced have been done almost entirely with virtual instruments (I've been doing mostly for Produccion Music Libraries).
But now I want to work on an acoustic album and also produce some instrumental album incorporating live instruments.
I would like to assess the possibility of recording at home, or in the typical rehearsal room rented by hours (if it is not possible at home due to technical reasons).
As you can deduce, I consider this as a cheap alternative to recording in studios.
What is your opinion about this?
Yes. Of course. I recall the Sufjan albums. They are old now.. but done at home IIRC.

https://tapeop.com/interviews/70/sufjan-stevens/

I love Sufjan music.

The first UB40 album was famously recorded mostly in their kitchen. It's pure class.

kritikon wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:45 pm The first UB40 album was famously recorded mostly in their kitchen. It's pure class.
This is probably sacrilege to some of you, but, while I liked UB40 in the mid/late 80s, I had never heard any of their early stuff and my connection to the band was largely as just another club/pop band. Basically, if it didn't chart in the U.S. by the early to mid eighties, I had not heard any of it. I just listened to some tracks off of their first album for the first time, and since I don't have the rose colored glasses to view it with, it "sounds" ok. The mix doesn't really stand up to modern standards IMO. Distorted bass, strange levels, clear hum and line noise at points.

All that said, they didn't record alone. They had the help of someone who had experience recording and, in addition, they had each other. Recording alone, IMO, can be more challenging, especially if you don't have experience doing so. Sure, it can also be simpler, especially if you are trying to record the whole group close mic'd, you don't have much choice alone if you want to do multiple parts, so there's no "live vibe" to compare it with.

Here's another example of something recorded at home. Let's be clear, I have the rose tinted glasses on here. I find this to be amazing. That is, I am moved by this, but the recording is mediocre, the playing is mediocre, etc. None of that matters because the song comes through and, arguably, it's better this way. I generally don't like attempts by others to play this with less wonk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma7lyfYzIw8

So, can you do that at home, absolutely. Set up a couple of microphones, hit record and play your music. It's easy, I do it all the time. If that's what you're asking then don't waste another second, just do it.

If, however, what you're asking is "can I record a technically excellent acoustic album at home in my kitchen?" Well, yes, if you know what you're doing. If you don't, then either get some help, or, expect it to take a long time, or, expect it to sound a bit mediocre.

If your work is good enough to attract a cult following either because of, or in spite of, the low quality recording then don't sweat the details, they aren't going to matter much and, who knows, you might attract some attention and get someone else to help you do a better job of recording.

What I'm saying is that you can't cite well regarded works that are regarded because of their content more than their recording as examples if the goal is to get a technically good recording, because most of the cited examples aren't technically good recordings.

Also, the tugger is right, talk about what you're trying to record and you will get much more specific advice.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Of course it is. Just be mindful of background noise and use some improvised gobos if you need to 👍
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

Thank you very much for your comments.
Music that lately inspires me comes from folk-ish musics, Bon Iver, Sufjan Stevens, Jorge Drexler, Alev Lenz,...
That direction I am taking in my personal work/project.
For "production music" I am mainly focused in trailer music but really tired of the "wall of sound".
Working on things closer to:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrHoP-zXPnE&t=63s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6cwObk0CXk

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Aceituna on Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Another vote for yep. It's not going to be ok for a full orchestra, but some basic recording is totally fine with enough care. I prefer lots of songs I've recorded at home to similar studio efforts because they've not been done under time pressure. Plus there's some charm to hearing next door's car start up in the second chorus, or the local schoolkids swearing as you're trying to get your glockenspiel done

Return to “Production Techniques”