What's your 'go to' distortion/saturation plugins?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
BB Tubes

Ploki wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:47 am
El°HYM wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:25 pm
acousticglue wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:59 pm The Drop
Phils Cascade
Flower Child
Phils Cascade @192kHz is still pretty amazing.
simon.a.billington wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:54 am PA has announced another couple of plugins, not sure if they are on the street yet. But they have mentioned they were releasing SA2RATE and Maor Applebaum’s The Oven.

Plus Wave’s did a BB Tubes thing, online previews of it so far seem pretty positive.
I agree re: phil's cascade. Too bad it's PA, i won't use it. It's not THAT unique in the end, but it's pretty great and imo one of the best PA plugs. Also one of the coolest approaches to ITB distortion. (Build something with the purpose of modelling it)

re: BB Tubes:
it's whack, and anyone who believe it's in any way special or even decent by today's standards shouldn't call themselves an engineer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE1UBfMOmmw&t=10s
This Third guy knows nothing about
anything he is just a drama queen.
Download, install and test a plugin and find out yourself whether it's good for you,
Way better than listening to a guy
with no reference in mixing or music
business, whose videos consist of bashing and making dramas.
Third drama queen is far from
being something like an engineer.
There are two guys on yt with no class and style and what's even worse less than mediocre knowledge attracting listeners
who are glad to spend some time in front of a screen with someone who shares the same level of knowledge.

What a waste of time
Last edited by DCrown on Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

What is a Third Guy?
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

El°HYM wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:46 pm What is a Third Guy?
He comes after the second guy!

DCrown wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:50 pm
He comes after the second guy!
This actually makes sense! :roll:

I do admit that I dont get it, though.

Quite literally, he's talking about a male person whose surname is 'Third' and who created the Youtube video that the person he was quoting had just linked...
BB Tubes:
it's whack, and anyone who believe it's in any way special or even decent by today's standards shouldn't call themselves an engineer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch? avideoByAGuyCalledPaulThird
This Third guy knows nothing about anything
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:54 pm
Quite literally, he's talking about a male person whose surname is 'Third' and who created the Youtube video that the person he was quoting had just linked.
Ah ok, the Dude in that Video. Didnt understand what he was saying, so I just turned it off.

Just putting this here for the lolz.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQhCZg_kPAM

DCrown wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:36 pm
Phils Cascade
Flower Child
simon.a.billington wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:54 am PA has announced another couple of plugins, not sure if they are on the street yet. But they have mentioned they were releasing SA2RATE and Maor Applebaum’s The Oven.

Plus Wave’s did a BB Tubes thing, online previews of it so far seem pretty positive.
I agree re: phil's cascade. Too bad it's PA, i won't use it. It's not THAT unique in the end, but it's pretty great and imo one of the best PA plugs. Also one of the coolest approaches to ITB distortion. (Build something with the purpose of modelling it)

Download, install and test a plugin and find out yourself whether it's good for you,
There are two guys on yt with no class and style and what's even worse less than mediocre knowledge attracting listeners
who are glad to spend some time in front of a screen with someone who shares the same level of knowledge.

What a waste of time
I’d likely do the same routine and come to the same conclusion so i wont waste my time downloading it. But cope harder lol

Ploki wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:57 pm
DCrown wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:36 pm
Phils Cascade
Flower Child

What a waste of time
I’d likely do the same routine and come to the same conclusion so i wont waste my time downloading it. But cope harder lol
He’s got his head in his ass on this one. BB is pretty good. Its only actual flaw is that it does alias and the oversampling above 2x is broken. I’ve spoken to Waves and they’re working on a fix. I recently used it on a bass synth part and got great results. Is it a “game changer?” Of course not. People who buy into that sort of marketing hyperbole b.s. are idiots, but if you download the demo and learn to properly use it, it’s a fine saturation plugin for not much money. Once they fix the oversampling, I can see myself using it quite a bit.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I have more saturation plugins that i care to use already tho, and even now I practically only use 3:
Powershaper, saturn2 and Kelvin.
I’m sure it’s okay but so are so many other free tube saturators

zerocrossing wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:34 pm BB is pretty good. Its only actual flaw is that it does alias and the oversampling above 2x is broken. I’ve spoken to Waves and they’re working on a fix.
Actually not seeing anything good in an aliasing non - linear device at all, furthermore with non - functional oversampling? It is good to see Waves taking actions to fix this, though.

kiive distinct 2 was not mentioned so far, iirc. I think it deserves some weight here.

i REALLY like it, especially on realtime-played Instruments.
otherwise i mostoften use Kush omega TWK. (also on instruments)
This has some EQing under the hood that makes things sound fatter in the bass.
I think what makes the distinct2 so good for me is the compression.
and i like the visual feedback. Was $29 at a sale.
its so far like: kush on EP-piano / distinct2 on Synths.
but has to do, to just get more used to these, and their subtleties.
Kiive distinct2 might win for me. Kush TWK, i had it longer, i´m more used to it.
seems that both are not mac arm native ready. so there´s that

Klanghelm SDRR did sound same -vs. saturation/overdrive- in my tests, as the kush omega TWK,
just without the EQing incorporated. so, i prefer the omega twk for my uses.
in that test, the decapitator fell short for me. (kiive came in later )

vs. kiive, they have a YT video, comparuing settings with the Overstayer MC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckIMFcepuBc

it impressed me. But this video has nothing to do with my own usecases.
i´ve not bought it just based on that.
i was on a saturation/overdrive frenzy anyway.
so far the ones that make it for me are the two mentioned ones:
Kush Omega TWK, Kiive Distinct2
(its all: realtime instrument playing patches, NOT drums, NOT production work)

The game has been changed so many times we don't even know what game we're playing anymore.
A well-behaved signature.

JerGoertz wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:47 am The game has been changed so many times we don't even know what game we're playing anymore.
Some are still waiting for the real Game Changer, though.

El°HYM wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:04 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:34 pm BB is pretty good. Its only actual flaw is that it does alias and the oversampling above 2x is broken. I’ve spoken to Waves and they’re working on a fix.
Actually not seeing anything good in an aliasing non - linear device at all, furthermore with non - functional oversampling? It is good to see Waves taking actions to fix this, though.
I never said the oversampling was non-functional. What happens is, you have 2x, 4X and 8x (if memory serves) and the 2x works fine (and is acceptable for a lot of use cases) but the 4 and 8 settings don’t actually change anything.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Return to “Effects”