Show and Tell - Your guitar(s)

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My basses; Höfner Ignition Beatle Bass; Sire Marcus Miller Jazz, original version. I play the Höfner more than the other because it is feather light. If I'm recording, I'll use the MM.
IMG_0777.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Right: I just shifted 60 lb. Pioneer speakers and the IKEA 'Tørviks' they were on and bought the Polk speakers and stands. This arrangement is better than 'guitars higgledee-piggledee behind the telly' etc. This is far more elegant..
In the back, l-r:
Martin D-28;
Guild F40e;
Stanford CR-35;
Gretsch G5422G-12 Electromatic;
Beatle Bass;
T'other side o' teh telly: Strat w Hot Noiseless pups; Stanford CR Marquee CA.
7F25C6EF-A6C1-4A9F-B73C-4C25638CFFFD.jpeg
And the Eastman E2-OM behind the telly… :party:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Bombadil on Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:44 am Sire Marcus Miller Jazz, original version.
IMG_0777.jpeg
That's a beautiful bass guitar ...

thecontrolcentre wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:30 pm
Bombadil wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:44 am Sire Marcus Miller Jazz, original version.
IMG_0777.jpeg
That's a beautiful bass guitar ...
Thx, yeah, I like natural Swamp Ash. Should be sanded, though, get rid of the polyurethane.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

thats a big minion!

vurt wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:55 pm thats a big minion!
Yeah, .I think he'll stay there to discourage cats jumping on it.
The air guitar…I asked the Missus for a guitar one xmas about 10 years ago, and she got me one: just needs inflating. Snarky wench…. :x :lol:
-Martin Luther King Jr.

:lol: didn't even notice the inflatable guitar.

still, marginally better than a flying v ukulele :x

marginally.. it's my 'air guitar.'
-Martin Luther King Jr.

My Stanfords: these are excellent guitars that seem designed to undercut Eastman electrics. MiC, but the parent company is German. They make Maybach guitars. The AM pups are SD 57's.
IMG_0250.jpeg
Last edited by Bombadil on Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

My Gretsch 12er...
P1140415.jpeg
-Martin Luther King Jr.

niiiiiice!

Something a little different, and probably the cheapest guitars in here (beating even DT's). These are 2 guitars from a DIY kits that cost around EUR 60 a pop. I bought the kits as lockdown projects to do with my wife, whose is a trained carpenter and a quite talented artist. The carpentry skills came in handy for the first one, which was still pretty rough around the edges and needed quite a bit of sanding before we could think about a paint job.
DIY tele finished_sm.png
I think she used acrylic paint on this one, at any rate it was hand painted using brushes, and took quite a while to finish. I very much like the way it looks. It's not a particularly great guitar to play though. The stock pick-ups and strings are the very definition of meh, but it does play. This one also requires me to solder all the parts together, which actually went surprisingly well - I hadn't soldered anything for at least a decade, probably two. I'm not that bothered by it not being great to play though, it was always conceived of as being an artwork more than an instrument. I was more interested in seeing how things went, given that this was the first DIY kit I built. Lessons were learned, and it has sentimental value.

I built a bass after that, but I just oiled the wood (my wife wasn't involved), so it's nothing spectacular. So I'm not sharing that. But it plays pretty well and the pick-ups are decent enough. Definitely usable and a nice alternative to my Fender J-bass.

The third DIY kit was another joint project, and this time things worked out really well. We ditched the idea of painting the body by hand, and the kit was much higher quality than the first one. Pretty much no sanding required this time. The electrics also required no soldering, which was slightly disappointing but also a lot easier. Intonation was perfect with no adjustment (a miracle!) and the pickups sound very decent for a EUR 60 guitar.

The idea behing this one was to celebrate me becoming an Irish citizen and thus securing my right to stay and work in the EU following the Brexit disaster. This time we decided to airbrush the body, which required us to buy an airbrush. We'd both taken part in a course where we used airbrushes to create designs for T-shirts, and had very much enjoyed it. So we bought an airbrush (which cost many times what the kit cost) and a bunch of stencils, going for a celtic theme. This time I was also involved in the painting process - it's a lot easier to use stencils if you are graphically incompetent, though I let my wife take care of most of the more complicated scale design.
Green Dragon Guitar - front_sm.jpg
Green Dragon Guitar - back_sm.jpg
Green Dragon Guitar - dragon_sm.jpg
And yes, we didn't bother doing anything fancy in terms of shaping the headstock. We've only got hand saws at home, and that seemed like far too much effort and far too much sawdust to be worth it.

sjm wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:16 pm probably the cheapest guitars in here (beating even DT's).
Did you just call me a tight Yorkshire bastard? :hihi:

Seen the strat before but not the tele. Looks really good that. :love:

donkey tugger wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:32 pm
sjm wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:16 pm probably the cheapest guitars in here (beating even DT's).
Did you just call me a tight Yorkshire bastard? :hihi:

Seen the strat before but not the tele. Looks really good that. :love:
I thought it ironic that you'd said "As previously, I don't tend to fetishize guitars; they're just tools for songwriting for the lefty whining, not widdling or polishing and preening for display." and then I posted guitars for the ultimate cheapskate (you gotta put them together yourself like Ikea furniture, but it saves you 30 smackeroos!) that were pretty much purely for display.

Though the strat is actually playable and I've used the bass in a few tracks (might've used the strat too, not sure).

I actually bought another guitar just because I liked the way it looked a couple of years ago. It was a B-stock guitar going for 50 with a list price of around 400. So erm, you might be tight, but I'm a cheapskate wannabe lawyer who buys guitars just to show them off!

I don't know what's worse.

sjm wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:37 am a cheapskate wannabe lawyer who buys guitars just to show them off!
PRS?
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Return to “Guitars”