Arturia Minifreak VST

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OnePingOnly

MoodyB wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:33 pm
MoodyB wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:55 pm If anyone took advantage of the V Collection 9 + MiniFreak V upgrade bundle, is MiniFreak listed as a separate product in your Arturia account, or is it tied in some way to V Collection 9?

Hoping it's separate so I could sell it on as I'd have no need for it atm with already owning Pigments.
In case anyone else is wondering, I emailed Arturia & the Minifreak V is tied to the V Collection 9 with this bundle, so it can't be sold separately.
I thought the same as you owning Pigments that this was superfluous but after demoing for a week I picked it up, after all its only the price of a preset pack or two.

It occupies a different space with an immediacy and character of its own which makes it a lot of fun to use. The many different oscillator models offer a lot more depth than first appears.

Thanks. Maybe I should demo it before the deal expires.

On topic: I ended up buying Minifreak for $49 even though I said I wouldn't ;). Completionist in me couldn't handle that maybe it wouldn't be included in V Collection 10. Very impressed with the offering on hand for $49. Impressive even at the "list" price. And as always Arturia does a fantastic job with the manual.

Now to Mr. I'm all about change...
BONES wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:34 am
rezoneight wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:17 amEvery post you make here is proof man. As people get older they get more and more resistant to change
Are you completely f**king stupid? How do you manage to conflate facts about an instrument with being resistant to change?
"I belittle opinions, not people." - BONES

:lol:
BONES wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:34 am Maybe you simply don't understand what the term means, so let me give you an example.

Oh I know this one is going to be rich.
BONES wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:34 am Here's something you said on the Saurus thread last July, which clearly shows your complete lack of flexibility of mind - "I have absolutely no plans to ever move to a Windows PC unless Apple goes out of business". So someone could come up with a PC that was 10 times faster than any Mac, that cost one-tenth as much to buy, could fold up to fit in your pocket and would run for a week at full power on a single battery charge and you wouldn't buy it if it was running Windows? That, my friend, is what resistance to change looks like. Someone who is so set in his ways that he won't countenance change.
So first of all nobody is going to do that so why don't we dispense with that nonsense? And yes I did say that. I've got a significant amount of money invested in all of the gear I own including the software (music and otherwise) and computers I own. Has absolutely squat to do with "being resistant to change" or "completely lack of flexibility" and all about my preference. If Apple went out of business and I didn't have a choice then I've have to move. I don't bash Windows. I don't bash those that choose to use it tho I wonder why in god's name anyone would want to. I have to deal with f**king Windows on a daily basis in my regular job. Have no desire to extend that pain in my personal time. So no friend, that was a piss-poor example of "resistance to change".
BONES wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:34 am OTOH, I actually bothered to download, install and demo Minifreak. Why would someone who is supposedly so resistant to change do that? Wouldn't that person be eternally happy with the things they already had?
When you actually buy and start *using* Minifreak, even though you've been completely trashing it here, in a type of music you've not tried composing before then color me impressed.

Or how about this? Start showing that you're actually capable of understanding that different people have different opinions on this stuff and that it's all good which you clearly don't get. Its a huge character flaw for an adult in their mid-60s that should be able to understand this. Don't like that Moog Ladder Filter but others do? Be good with that instead of harping on the fact that turning up the resonance on that filter means a decrease in bass any time the Moog Ladder Filter comes up in a discussion. You seem incapable of making that change in behavior. Impress us.

Arturia has a fantastic-looking amount of banks for the microfreak. Does anyone know where I can find some banks (3rd party) for the Minifreak ? I know it's a relatively new synth even hardware-wise but given its popularity, my searches don't seem to be yielding much.

RugerioDelStereo wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:10 pm
BONES wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:18 pm
RugerioDelStereo wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:27 amSo if you say that the Minifreak sounds thin, PROVE it. You keep stating your opinion as fact. PROVE the "fact". Otherwise shut the f*ck up and crawl back into your insecurity-bunker.
The proof is there for all to hear and those with a shred of objectivity, even those who like the synth overall, have admitted as much. If you go back to page 5 or 6 of this thread, when the VSTi first became available to everyone, and you'll see that most of the comments about the sound are negative. Then the fanbois got on board and tried to shout everyone down but that doesn't work on me.
Do you mean to imply that everyone who likes the synth is automatically also a fanboy? That would be highly subjective of you. Also: still no proof. If someone shows me a graph showing bottom-end on a synth, or I hear said bottom-end, then it has bottom-end. But maybe I am thinking too straight bout this.
I absolutely love watching Boners re-write history. The bulk of the criticism is about how Bones treats others. I never cared what he thought about the synth. Yeah some people agreed they didn't like the sound. Other people including me fell in love with the synth. It's so hilarious that he's like, "go back to page 5 or 6 alot of people felt . . . . "

Seriously, using the word "fanbois" lol. It doesn't get any more hilarious.

He's so incapable of processing reality. So what if a lot of early opinions were negative? Now we have a thread 30 pages long and a lot of people like it too. It's such a logical fallacy to have a small sample size (5 or 6 pages) then literally claim an opinion as a fact. Then keep citing it. "Back when only 1/6 of the data was in, many opinions were negative" and "THEREFORE my opinion is fact".

I do like the idea of just ignoring him, but he's still going to be abusing others and being a sociopath to everybody. Even if I block him I'll still see quotes where he's abusing others. I will always call him out on THAT. Not his opinions, I could care less about what an abusive prick thinks about VSTs. Or anything really.

To the folks asking about Pigments vs Minifreak, or if I have Pigments should I buy Minifreak.... there is stuff in Minifreak that isn't in Pigments. There is also more of an immediacy that isnt there with Pigments in my opinion in the time I've been playing with this thing. Whether thats worth it to you is a whole different story. But so far I'm having more fun in my initial playing around with MF than I did with Pigments because its just not as complex at the outset.

rezoneight wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:24 am To the folks asking about Pigments vs Minifreak, or if I have Pigments should I buy Minifreak.... there is stuff in Minifreak that isn't in Pigments. There is also more of an immediacy that isnt there with Pigments in my opinion in the time I've been playing with this thing. Whether thats worth it to you is a whole different story. But so far I'm having more fun in my initial playing around with MF than I did with Pigments because its just not as complex at the outset.
What's in the MiniFreak V that Pigments lack? I couldn't find anything. Every sound I created with the MinFreak was super easy to make in Pigments. MiniFreak seems like a slimmed down Pigments.

UtopianLament wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:39 pm
rezoneight wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:24 am To the folks asking about Pigments vs Minifreak, or if I have Pigments should I buy Minifreak.... there is stuff in Minifreak that isn't in Pigments. There is also more of an immediacy that isnt there with Pigments in my opinion in the time I've been playing with this thing. Whether thats worth it to you is a whole different story. But so far I'm having more fun in my initial playing around with MF than I did with Pigments because its just not as complex at the outset.
What's in the MiniFreak V that Pigments lack? I couldn't find anything. Every sound I created with the MinFreak was super easy to make in Pigments. MiniFreak seems like a slimmed down Pigments.
Yeah I don't agree that its a slimmed-down Pigments. I could see how someone would see that but I don't agree. As to whats there that isn't in Pigments take a look at the Oscillator section.

rezoneight wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm
Yeah I don't agree that its a slimmed-down Pigments. I could see how someone would see that but I don't agree. As to whats there that isn't in Pigments take a look at the Oscillator section.
I didn't have any issues replicating MiniFreak's oscillator types in Pigments.

Minifreak can do a lot more sonically than Pigments, but with less complex controls. Each 'oscillator' is basically a macro oscillator along the lines of Mutable Instruments Plaits (which is the successor to Braids) plus additional synthesis types - the Plaits parts you can read about here:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/mutable-i ... raids-2015

What Plaits can do so too can Minifreak, but also a lot more due to having additional macro oscillator types as well. Some of those types do overlap with Pigments but the ones in Pigments have more controls and are also not based on any particular modular hardware sources like the ones in Minifreak are. So in no way is Minifreak a 'slimmed down' Pigments.

App-sound
Has two..https://www.app-sound.com/software-synths/

Highly recommend.
rsp
GJK wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:22 am Arturia has a fantastic-looking amount of banks for the microfreak. Does anyone know where I can find some banks (3rd party) for the Minifreak ? I know it's a relatively new synth even hardware-wise but given its popularity, my searches don't seem to be yielding much.
sound sculptist

UtopianLament wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:00 pm
rezoneight wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm
I didn't have any issues replicating MiniFreak's oscillator types in Pigments.
Really? I wasn't aware that Pigments had the modular oscillators or DX-7-style FM . But maybe thats all replicable.

Does Pigments also do the polyphonic effects? Hadn't seen that either.

aMUSEd wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:25 pm Minifreak can do a lot more sonically than Pigments, but with less complex controls. Each 'oscillator' is basically a macro oscillator along the lines of Mutable Instruments Plaits (which is the successor to Braids) plus additional synthesis types - the Plaits parts you can read about here:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/mutable-i ... raids-2015

What Plaits can do so too can Minifreak, but also a lot more due to having additional macro oscillator types as well. Some of those types do overlap with Pigments but the ones in Pigments have more controls and are also not based on any particular modular hardware sources like the ones in Minifreak are. So in no way is Minifreak a 'slimmed down' Pigments.
Much better said than the point I was trying to get at. I was hoping the other person would go look at the manual ;)

rezoneight wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:41 pm
Really? I wasn't aware that Pigments had the modular oscillators or DX-7-style FM . But maybe thats all replicable.

Does Pigments also do the polyphonic effects? Hadn't seen that either.
Pigments FX are monophonic and you can do simultaneous 2OP DX style phase modulation, linear frequency modulation and wavefolding. The DX algorithm in the MiniFreak, inherited from Mutable Instruments Braids/Plaits is 2OP sinewaves only, Pigments allows any wavetable as the carrier and a selection of basic/analog style shapes for the modulating operator.

To answer your two questions directly, not to imply that Pigments can do everything that the MF can.
Always Read the Manual!

Has anybody had any success creating a preset where the sequencer modulates the different oscillator types?

I tried working with a preset that just uses the phaser for osc 2. I set the sequencer to modulate the osc1 type - but:
1 - I have no idea what type I'm changing to - still I can try different positions of the sequencer "bar".
2 - no matter how I set the sequencer (moving the orange bar up or down) it doesn't do anything interesting, and I have no idea what it's changing the osc type to. It does sound a little different (from the original sound) when I move the orange bar - but doesn't change when I move the bar to different positions (up or down from the default zero point). As amatter of fact, sometimes it makes the change on the 1/16 (seq set to 1/16 note steps) note *before* where it should.

I'm not sure if I've explained it well - but is anyone having success with this?
John Braner
http://johnbraner.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
and all the major streaming/download sites.

Return to “Instruments”