Is it possible to produce an acoustic album recorded at home?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am thinking that I have to do it and improve the process on the way.
This is the most important thing.
Maybe I´m thinking too much about.
I would like to know your opinion about the place and the equipment.
The place would be mainly a 320ft2 dinning room in a 6th floor. No isolated neither acousticly acconditioned.
But a lot of shelves with books and a big sofa.
It is 7.9ft high.
About equipment, I got 2 small diaphragm condenser mics (T.bone EM800) and 1 dynamic mic (T.bone MB85 beta). All them replicas.
My main worry is about the converters of my Presonus Studio 68c. Would they be good enough?
Thanks in advance.

Pretty sure they would be, and once you get going you'll be much more concerned with mic placement, background noise, and dealing with the dodgy acoustics of the room.
That's mostly about moving around a lot until you find the sweetish spot, and getting creative with the furniture to control nasty room reverb.

It's also about being realistic, I think. One the one hand, 85 full tracks of bad room is probably going to sound pretty rough. On the other, a delicate exposed solo acoustic guitar might just highlight the bad room. So you might have to think about that kind of stuff in your arrangements.

But best just to try it. It's definitely a different mindset to working with virtual instruments. Mixing the two is a lot more fun for me

If you are new to recording and you are recording in an untreated space then things like the converters in your interface are going to be second order effects at best. They are the least of your worries. Whether the mics are good enough depends on what you're recording. What you're going to have to deal with is the sound of the space. Maybe you can use that, it's not a tiny room, who knows. I assume that you're trying to record voice? Just try it and see what it sounds like. Often if you're recording voice you really need some way to dampen reflections, that's what these stand mounted devices are for.

The thing about recording your own singing voice is that, relatively speaking, it's easy to deal with and it will help to figure out how the room is going to effect your recordings. Put the mic on a stand, start the recording, sing. It will probably end up having too much reverb from the room, but you won't have to worry about whether or not the mic is placed correctly or whether or not you need more than one mic, or whether an X/Y or M/S technique, or something else, is the right choice.

You could also put the SDCs on stands some distance from you vocal mic stand to pick up the ambience of the room. Or course you are recording all three mics on their own tracks.

Go around the room. Clap. Listen.

Get started, post some clips, stop worrying about your converters when you're using a sub $100 vocal mic that's itself a clone of an average live vocal mic.

This old Sound On Sound guide is a good intro to mic'ing up acoustic guitars;

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... itar-sound

I'm always of the 'small diaphragm condenser pointed about at where the neck joins the body' school, but other methods may suit you more;

choochcat wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:12 pm Another vote for yep. It's not going to be ok for a full orchestra, but some basic recording is totally fine
I recorded a full orchestra in my bathroom.

Mahler - Symphony No. 2 "Resurrection" in C minor
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

That must be an impressive bathroom you have there.
I once recorded Handel's Messiah with full choir in my wardrobe...

Oooh, nice. It must be a walk-in.

donkey tugger wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:47 am This old Sound On Sound guide is a good intro to mic'ing up acoustic guitars;

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... itar-sound
Cool. I gave it a try.

Interesting, but I'll probably just stick to miking my guitars.

Hypercardiod microphones are your friend. They will minimize room bleed.

Do it. There's nothing like getting a sound that is all your own and not some sample.

Limiting ambience is good thing in not perfect environment.
Unless a Taylor guitar the built in mike system in guitar is not the best.

DPA 4099G for guitar 5:00 into video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhXXp3q2Io4

So being an inch from guitar or so, not much room is included. Easier to create ambience in daw then that does not conflict.

Spend some on preamps better than ordinary interface as well. You won't regret it.
Grace Design has some really nice for guitar around $500 or so.
https://gracedesign.com/products/instru ... ifiers/bix

Bringing what your ears hear into recording is not all easy, so experiment a lot.
Last edited by lfm on Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jandek?

Aceituna wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:32 am I am thinking that I have to do it and improve the process on the way.
This is the most important thing.
Maybe I´m thinking too much about.
I would like to know your opinion about the place and the equipment.
The place would be mainly a 320ft2 dinning room in a 6th floor. No isolated neither acousticly acconditioned.
But a lot of shelves with books and a big sofa.
It is 7.9ft high.
About equipment, I got 2 small diaphragm condenser mics (T.bone EM800) and 1 dynamic mic (T.bone MB85 beta). All them replicas.
My main worry is about the converters of my Presonus Studio 68c. Would they be good enough?
Thanks in advance.
Your room size sounds good, with a fair few things to diffuse sound, big sofa, curtains and carpets can all help. Hanging a big duvet behind a mic can also help limit reflection off a wall.

I think you just need to setup and test it. Make a few recordings and see.

The large diaphragm mics might pick up too much room sound, some have a switch to change the pattern to be more focussed from one direction. Otherwise your mb85 should be good at omitting room sounds.

The only way to find out is to try.

A lot of the Billie Eilish music was done recording at home and won a Grammy. I think a UA Apollo sound card though.

Return to “Production Techniques”