VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
chipsynth OPS7

pdxindy wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:52 am
briefcasemanx wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:25 am
Bazille sounds good but also doesn't belong in a 2022 specific thread
My reading of the original post was that the OP was looking for any good FM synth currently available in 2022... not specifically one newly released in 2022.

In that case Bazille qualifies! (Plus it's the best freakin synth ever!!) :lol:
Oh okay, then yeah get Bazille, for sure. It's quality is far beyond F'em. It makes cool animal sounds that F'em can't touch.

You can get F'em for $30 right now til Feb. 7th. Is it worth it?

https://vstbuzz.com/deals/82-off-fem-sy ... on/?ref=30

briefcasemanx wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:38 am
pdxindy wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:52 am
briefcasemanx wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:25 am
Bazille sounds good but also doesn't belong in a 2022 specific thread
My reading of the original post was that the OP was looking for any good FM synth currently available in 2022... not specifically one newly released in 2022.

In that case Bazille qualifies! (Plus it's the best freakin synth ever!!) :lol:
Oh okay, then yeah get Bazille, for sure. It's quality is far beyond F'em. It makes cool animal sounds that F'em can't touch.
Bazille can also get into Isao Tomita and Wendy Carlos territory! However, I'm waiting for Zebra 3.

killmaster wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:31 am You can get F'em for $30 right now til Feb. 7th. Is it worth it?

I think it is, but you should probably try the free demo available from Tracktion first, to see how you get on with it.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

F'em is worth 30 bucks just to make cool sounds with the built in distortion. It's pretty good with distortion engaged and pretty awful as an actual, normal FM synth.

briefcasemanx wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:15 am pretty awful as an actual, normal FM synth.
PLease enlighten us with your in depth knowledge as to why F'EM is bad as an FM Synth
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Tracktion FEM

Korg Opsix

All the Plogue synths

I dig the FM in Dawesome KULT. You can use Massive X as an FM synth.

Glad, I am not the only one thinking that F'em just sounds awful.
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

Boggles my mind people would say that. It’s FM / Additive, you can use it as a subtractive. Great modulation. I’m not 100% on the UI, but it’s a powerful flexible synthesizer. If it sounds bad the onus is on the programmer.

F’em sounds like how FM sounds. People expecting some sort of subtractive sonic character are likely to be disappointed. In terms of options, programmability, mod matrix and quality of the effects, F’em is one of the best FM synths currently on the market. Especially for 30 bucks. All imho.

Other cool FM options, for those in the Ableton / M4L realm: all instruments by Fors.fm. They make nifty little 2OP FM instruments that when combined with their delays, verbs and sequencer options, can really shine. For those interested in this approach, check out Opal.

Another M4L option that is really great, and offers additive and FM options, is Octocell.

El°HYM wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:50 pm Glad, I am not the only one thinking that F'em just sounds awful.
Phase modulation is phase modulation ,period .
Given that F’em uses calculated sines and no lookuptables , it might sounds a bit to crystal clear for some,but in the end it’s doing just that: phase modulation!
Post a simple 2 operator F’em patch and tell us why it sounds awfull .
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Exactly. I actually spent some time matching a basic 2 op patch between Fem and Opsix. Sounds the same. But quickly diverges due to differences in envelopes and other differences in the architecture.
gentleclockdivider wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:35 pm
El°HYM wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:50 pm Glad, I am not the only one thinking that F'em just sounds awful.
Phase modulation is phase modulation ,period .
Given that F’em uses calculated sines and no lookuptables , it might sounds a bit to crystal clear for some,but in the end it’s doing just that: phase modulation!
Post a simple 2 operator F’em patch and tell us why it sounds awfull .

I think the presets and demo videos coming with F-em might not be the best. But why should it sound worse than older FM synths? I bet it can sound much better.

This might sound a bit better:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqqfaduqsmA

Fluctus is a free, fairly simple 3 op synth. But it’s CLAP and works with per voice modulation so it’s extra great with Bitwig (or any other host that will do per voice modulations with CLAP) plugins.

killmaster wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:31 am You can get F'em for $30 right now til Feb. 7th. Is it worth it?

Yes.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Return to “Instruments”