RELATED
PRODUCTS
CLA Classic Compressors

Softube released Icons: The Compressor Collection

https://www.softube.com/icons-the-compressor-collection

Now 199 $, later 299$.
In some years time cheaper.

Their marketing speak:

Classic, legendary… iconic. The compressors in this collection—FET Compressor Mk II, OPTO Compressor, and VCA Compressor—are modeled on three of the most popular, most used compressors in the world. Important and influential gear that set a standard in the ‘60s and ’70s and never stopped. Outstanding then, outstanding now. Even more so.

That's because we've added features fit for current times. From Drive and the Stereo Link switch to the Sidechain section, this set gives you more control and tailoring capabilities than before. Icons: The Compressor Collection is an indispensable mix of modeling authenticity and modern workflow. It's destined to be a studio star in its own right.

3E0CFB84-3376-4D06-9A6D-635DA7756186.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pronounced rē-gûr′jĭ-tāt″
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

Can't help it, but reminds me of the VC compressor collection from Native Instruments somehow. Was developed by Softube too back then...

Lol, the difference between KVR and GS:
One bunch is hyperventilating, the other whining.
Perhaps both group should visit the medical service...

There was a time when Softube didn't have a lot competition regarding high quality plugins and was considered one of the best devs. No doubt, it's still a good dev, some of their older plugins are still good, but a reduced price of 199 and regular 299 price for compressors only LOL
I am not going to even demo, there are other great devs making great compressors
for prices in line with the market with fair prices and I remember the NI/Softube compressors.
Never used them, never liked them
Anyway I suppose most of us have more than enough 1176 and LA2A emus, so this release is no attraction, no surprise, no excitment and no sensation.
Softube, has your creativity reached the end of the line?
Yawn, yawn...
Last edited by DCrown on Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:41 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Asking price is ridiculous - but like they care, they'll never decreased it. :)

Gonna demo, but somehow I have feeling its going to be rehashed old NI comps code - hopefully, I am wrong.

If I didn't have UAD I would be tempted, though my first call Pultec is the softube one even though I also have the UAD one and have had the UAD one (mk1) first.
rsp
sound sculptist

A personal comment:
I rarely use drums in my tracks, just not my cup of tea.
I therefore have little interest in a shelf full of different compressors.
The Logic Pro ones, Kotelnikov, Sonible and the Waves and NI ones are more than I'll ever need.

From this reason I'll not buy the Softube Icons.
Man, how many of these standard stuff do we need?
99% of the listeners will not hear any difference in a mix.

The price of these Softube Icons is from this point of view,
ehm..., ambitious (to be polite).
However, there seems to be a market for such stuff.
Interesting.

But the 1% who do may be critical.
I do a lot of ads, I always use the UAD compressors when I am in the studio, but a few years ago I built a macbook travel rig so I can work when I traveled.
I substituted the UAD compressors for I think Ik multimedia ones.. the clients immediately said something sounded way off and were not happy. They didn't know what it was, but something was not right.
I bout a UAD satellite for the macbook pro so I can use UAD plugins whilst I travel and all was well with the world again with them.

So yeah whilst I agree the general public may not notice... some listeners who are very important might just.

rsp
sound sculptist

Same DSP code as the NI versions apparently so apart from new UI, probably not worth a buy unless you want them for Console 1, always going to be a hard sell in the ocean that already exists of the same compressors done to death

gonna give the MkII a gander... since supposedly new code and based on a new model version. may be worth the $34 asking price especially with the added controls
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

Digivolt wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:07 pm Same DSP code as the NI versions apparently so apart from new UI, probably not worth a buy unless you want them for Console 1, always going to be a hard sell in the ocean that already exists of the same compressors done to death
Source please?
rsp

Edit:
never mind, found it

https://gearspace.com/board/showpost.ph ... stcount=38
"This is Oskar at the Softube Support. Thanks for reaching out!

The FET Compressor Mk2 is completely rebuilt, based on another hardware version, and modeled differently. There should be an upgrade path available for you on the website.

There is however no crossgrade from the NI versions. They are based on the same emulation, same code, but are new plug-ins. And they have different feature sets.

The VCA also has new gain staging. So they will behave differently."
sound sculptist

martinjuenke wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:43 pm A personal comment:

Man, how many of these standard stuff do we need?
99% of the listeners will not hear any difference in a mix.
It amazes me that I have to point this out: not everyone working with these tools is a professional interested in only the resulting mix. For many, audio and music is a hobby and playing with new toys is part of that hobby. Did you lose your mind or are you actually unaware of this aspect of music which has been an aspect of it for decades/centuries and possibly millenia.

Digivolt wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:07 pm Same DSP code as the NI versions apparently so apart from new UI, probably not worth a buy unless you want them for Console 1, always going to be a hard sell in the ocean that already exists of the same compressors done to death
whats ur source on this?

These compressors will be included in the next Volume to add value to it and fill the holes for those who tends to stick Softube plugins. Softube needs to update Volume so they decided to rework some good old code. NI compressors made by Softube, actually, sounds amazingly good but hard to use in modern times because of the interface, so I’m totally okay with reworking them. In addition, I’m sure these compressors were optimized a bit..

That is why these compressors are so expensive. You should be thrilled to buy them as part of a bundle.

Return to “Effects”