Looking for a webpage that had a LONG list of euclidean rhythms

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It was a long list (maybe 20 or 30) but i somehow closed the page and now can't find it, however much i google...Maybe someone knows where to find it? :help:

I think you are looking for Toussaint's paper on euclidean rhythms in traditional music.
Theres a link here, but this whole article is quite good: https://www.lawtonhall.com/blog/euclidean-rhythms-pt1
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

No, i found that...and a million other pages on euclidean ryhthms. But none has that long list. It had details like this eg 3/5/2 rhythm (just an example) is used in some specific arabian music. It was very detailed.

Colonel Flashback wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:50 pm It was a long list (maybe 20 or 30) but i somehow closed the page and now can't find it, however much i google...Maybe someone knows where to find it? :help:
Worth trying ctrl+h to see your tab history? Depends on the browser but chromium based ones are usually pretty good for this.

Thanks, already tried. I am one of those 100s of tabs people...
But there probably is enough euclidean stuff to digest online anyway.

Last edited by Michael L on Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

No, thanks, will look out for it!

Here's just a few from that paper:

E(2,5)=[x . x . .] is a thirteenth century Persian rhythm called Khafif-e-ramal [34]. It is also the metric
pattern of the second movement of Tchaikovsky’s Symphony No. 6 [17]. When it is started on the second
onset ([x . . x .]) it is the metric pattern of Dave Brubeck’s Take Five as well as Mars from The Planets by
Gustav Holst [17].
E(3,4)=[x . x x] is the archetypal pattern of the Cumbia from Colombia [20], as well as a Calypso rhythm
from Trinidad [13]. It is also a thirteenth century Persian rhythm called Khalif-e-saghil [34], as well as the
trochoid choreic rhythmic pattern of ancient Greece [21].
E(3,5)=[x . x . x], when started on the second onset, is another thirteenth century Persian rhythm by the
name of Khafif-e-ramal [34], as well as a Rumanian folk-dance rhythm [25].
E(3,7)=[x . x . x . .] is a Ruchenitza rhythm used in a Bulgarian folk-dance [24]. It is also the metric
pattern of Pink Floyd’s Money [17].
E(3,8)=[x . . x . . x .] is the Cuban tresillo pattern discussed in the preceding [15].
E(4,7)=[x . x . x . x] is another Ruchenitza Bulgarian folk-dance rhythm [24].
E(4,9) = [x . x . x . x . .] is the Aksak rhythm of Turkey [6]. It is also the metric pattern used by Dave
Brubeck in his piece Rondo a la Turk [17].
E(4,11) = [x . . x . . x . . x .] is the metric pattern used by Frank Zappa in his piece titled Outside Now [17].
E(5,6)=[x . x x x x] yields the York-Samai pattern, a popular Arab rhythm, when started on the second
onset [30].
E(5,7)=[x . x x . x x] is the Nawakhat pattern, another popular Arab rhythm [30].
E(5,8)=[x . x x . x x .] is the Cuban cinquillo pattern discussed in the preceding [15]. When it is started
on the second onset it is also the Spanish Tango [13] and a thirteenth century Persian rhythm, the Al-saghilal-sani [34].
E(5,9)=[x . x . x . x . x] is a popular Arab rhythm called Agsag-Samai [30]. When started on the second
onset, it is a drum pattern used by the Venda in South Africa [26], as well as a Rumanian folk-dance
rhythm [25].
E(5,11)=[x . x . x . x . x . .] is the metric pattern used by Moussorgsky in Pictures at an Exhibition [17].
E(5,12) = [x . . x . x . . x . x .] is the Venda clapping pattern of a South African children’s song [24].
E(5,16) = [x . . x . . x . . x . . x . . . .] is the Bossa-Nova rhythm necklace of Brazil. The actual BossaNova rhythm usually starts on the third onset as follows: [x . . x . . x . . . x . . x . .] [31]. However, there are
other starting places as well, as for example [x . . x . . x . . x . . . x . .] [3].
E(7,8) = [x . x x x x x x] is a typical rhythm played on the Bendir (frame drum), and used in the accompaniment of songs of the Tuareg people of Libya [30].
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Thank you!

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”