What effects used in this Ace of Base song?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

How did they make the fx sounds in this song?

at
26-28 sec. (swelling and release effect)
and at
1:13-1:15 min. (those 2 fx sounds between the vocals)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoybSNHMtMY

The more details you could give on how to recreate those the better.
C'mon, there must be something that you do in your life besides sleeping or working? And then for the first time he was really thinking and what did he reply: I watch TV!

They're drum machine sounds. The latter two are just hi-hats from the TR-909 programmed normally. The earlier sound is a reversed ride or crash cymbal, but not sure which machine it's pulled from going by ear.

cron wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:55 pm The latter two are just hi-hats from the TR-909 programmed normally.
Thanks, but I meant the 4 notes / sounds that you can hear at 1.13 min. while the video shows the guy hitting the drum 4 times (which is supposed to be a joke, I guess).
cron wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:55 pm The earlier sound is a reversed ride or crash cymbal
I thought about that as part of the swelling sound in the boxing scene but the beginning dark humming part of it seems strange. Maybe there's something more to it? Or is that humming a second layer?

I also wonder about the sound right after the swelling effect (i. e. after the boxing scene when she raises her hands).
C'mon, there must be something that you do in your life besides sleeping or working? And then for the first time he was really thinking and what did he reply: I watch TV!

I thought it was like a guitar(cutting and sliding) with the wah effect.
hide.h [MySite]

I think I understand what you try to tell me:
Maybe the sound at 1:13 min is from an electric guitar.
I know there are wah wah effect pedals
and now I found some videos about the "sliding" technique on electric guitars.
But how exactly would you play this part then and could you really get the exact sounds like that?
I have never played an electric guitar but this sounds interesting!
And is "cutting" also a playing technique? (I couldn't find anything on this.)

juno987654321 wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 2:37 am And is "cutting" also a playing technique? (I couldn't find anything on this.)
oops... I meant it was "Strumming".
hide.h [MySite]

I see. So do you play an electric guitar and would this produce the sounds if you put it to the test? How would you play it to get the sounds from the song?
Can you explain this a bit? Can you play the guitar like they do in the song?

(What notes would you strum and from which fret to which other fret would you slide with the pick and when would you step on the wah pedal? ---> Does this work if you try to play that short passage? :o I have an acoustic guitar at home but I am an amateur with guitars. Still I could understand something if someone were to explain the technique.)

In the meantime: having ruled out that a guitar is involved in the still mysterious section from 1:13-1:15 min. and having listened to the passage in loop forever,
I now believe that it's a scratch sound (possibly what they call a 2 click flare?).
I am not yet clear about whether the very last sound in the passage is still part of the scratching sound or an added synth sound. The very last sound could then just be some kind of a downward sweep synth sound.

Someone here who is experienced on DJing and scratching techniques who has a trained ear for that?

Casio brass sound with pitch modulation?

Yeah the first one is a reversed cymbal and a low bass note (C) that gets louder just like the reversed cymbal.
There a strange peak in the bass so a sine 2 octaves up can be added for more accuracy.

the 2nd I hear a drum fill with a scratch/wah sound and then the Boom. a sine or low saw dropping in pitch.
I initially thought scratch but the more I listen the more i think it's a wah.
CHOOSX Remakes on my Youtube Channel

Return to “Effects”