One Synth Challenge #168: Voltage Modular 2.7 (MyLoFy Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Submissions:
https://soundcloud.com/kvrosc/sets/one- ... llenge-168

Results:
Here

Welcome to the One Synth Challenge #168:
It's a friendly music competition where you can win cool prizes but most importantly, meet amazing musicians, and learn a lot about mixing, sound design, and more! :)

Special Additional Rules:
You may only use free modules for this Challenge, including the Voltage Nucleus pack.

This Month's Synth:
This is amazing: "Voltage Modular 2.7 obliterates all patching limitations, and introduces groundbreaking new ways to build complex patches with fewer cables. Unlimited cables per jack allows for endless modulation possibilities."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w13C0SOdKNc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ5i-AtvYj0

Prizes:
(Would you like to be a sponsor / prize donor? Contact RichardSemper via PM or go ahead and post your intended donation here! Get a cool mention on our donator wall of honor)

Special Note:
We are offering a secondary prize (on top of the normal prize): FXB Project, or JRR Shop (Uncle E)

NEW Additional Bonus Prize!
For the first Single Instance entry to make the top 5 a cash bonus of $50. (note: this prize may be carried forward to selected OSC challenges until it is won)

Cherry Audio : **Special Prizes for this month only**
Choose either:
1) Voltage Modular Core + Electro Drums (the full bundle),
2) VM900 Collection modules bundle ,
3) Miniverse Module Collection + Rackmode Module Collection modules bundles

R_Ware - Makers of Cherry Audio Modules : Top 3 winners get all R_Ware modules!

Red Rock Sound : **New Prize** Choose 1 Copy of any plugin

NUSofting : **New Prize** Choose 1 Copy of either Sinmad or Echobis

nakst : **New Prize** 1 copy of Integrate (A FL Studio / CLAP format synth only. *Not VST / Standalone*)

discoDSP : 1 copy of Discovery (Up to 2 winners may choose this)

KV331 Audio : Bundle of Synthmaster One + Synthmaster 2.x!

Dmitry Sches : Diversion

ChordPak.com : 1x Pro Pack (Up to 3 winners may choose this)

United Audio Artists : Scratch Master Pro (2 may be chosen per month)

Yuli Yolo Sound Design : (Top 3 Winners get this) Soundsets for Vital: Diversity, Bass Music Wavetables, Noises & Exciters

Luftrum : Two Choices: 1x NFR license of either Bioscape or the new Lunaris 2 (or two soundsets of choice)

Audio Thing : Outer Space (vintage tape echo plugin)

Guda Audio : Euterpe XL

JRR Sounds: Any 1 soundset (This is a secondary prize, you may pick it as well as your main prize)

SoundGym : *NEW* 12 Month Subscription. (SoundGym is a
"technological, personalized and gamified audio learning environment")

JRR Shop : UVI: Digital Synsations (vintage 90's synth sample library and player)

Touch The Universe Productions: LuSH-101 Cloud Layers soundset

The FXB Project by alvfaria : 1 commercial sound bank as an extra prize on top of the regular first prize. See the main site here

Abstract Cats Music : AbiTron Bank for Synthmaster

satYatunes : One of any commercial product

Xenos Soundworks : Choice of any 1 product

Ghostwave Audio : Any two soundsets of Choice

Twolegs Toneworks : Any one soundset

Newloops.com : any 3 sound packs of choice (excluding bundles)

The Unfinished : Any two soundsets of Choice

Aiyn Zahev Sounds: Any 2 Soundsets of choice from the website (Uplifting Trance Presets)

Mulperi : 1 Soundbank of Choice

Bjulin : Inspire soundset for Zebra²

LeapIntoTheVoid : Enchantment Of Absynth Trilogy

Solidtrax : 1 Soundset of choice (except for the Future Chill and Space Trips expansions)

Dream Audio Tools : 1 Indie Fingers bundle (Indie Fingers volumes One and Two)

Any other offers of prizes will be greatly appreciated. :hail: :hail: :hail:

Questions? Comments? Concerns? You want some love? Just post here in this thread :)

Want to try out your skills in other contests / competitions /challenges?
  • DiHalt Demoscene competitions - Developers may be looking for artists to make music.
  • Indaba - Has a mix of popular and indie artists with various contests like remixing and song writing.
  • metapop - Has many competitions, with a soundcloud like interface where you can share, upload, get likes, comments, etc.
  • Mix Challenge - Join monthly recurring Songwriting Competitions (with a new theme/genre every month) and/or Mix(ing) Challenges (mixing multi-tracks from scratch). Win prizes!
  • Open Source Music Nexus Challenge - From the people who brought you the FM Challenge last year!
  • Skio Music Contests - Lots of remixes you can join (Mostly EDM) - big prizes.
Last edited by bjporter on Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:48 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Ah. Modular again. BRB just getting an ice bucket for my brain.

Double Tap wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:58 pm Ah. Modular again. BRB just getting an ice bucket for my brain.
And probably 70+ entries to listen to and vote for, like the last time with Cherry Audio's Surrealistic MG-1 Plus… :clown:

:phew:
With all the fx, amp and synth emulations out there, not to mention AI, you can finally sound like…? Someone else and something that has already been done! :clap: :tu: :party: ------- :scared:

Nice one. Unfortunately it's too much for my old laptop's cpu :scared: . See you in March.

Great, this looks like a lot of fun :)
Just a heads up for any courageous fellow Linux users:
Got this to run with wine-staging 8.0 and yabridge 5.0.3 on Archlinux as VST2/3 without much trouble. Installs, registers and loads in Ardour, Zrythm and Reaper, no problem.
Good luck and have fun everybody!

I see, trying to suck me back in with more modular stuff... clever play...

Wow, what a faff
Install this, install that
Did all that, 2.7
Nope, Install damaged
Need a newer version!!?
I love a challenge, I didn't realise the install would be it ;)
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

Are non free but pure Midi modules allowed? I would love to use the MPE input to VM…

Sorry if this is a dumb question - but we are free to use it in a DAW like any other vst (with multiple instances), or standalone, right?

Nice one! Love the VM (especially the modules that i can't use unfortunately, VM900 & VM2500). Really hope I have time to participate this month. I think I will go for The Single Instance... :phones:

I'm tempted again by this...

I'm watching some user how-to vids and found a cool module only in the paid version (Core + Electro Drums): The Plug-In Host module makes it simple and easy to control external vsts. For example you can add an LFO module to a vst effects plug-in.

I checked that Voltage Modular software and it looks promising. The user interface is very good and consistent, much better than the last modular package we used. The documentation is good too. The performance (macro) section is a very good idea. But we are really limited again by only basic tools for subtractive synthesis. Ok, some creative FM workarounds are also possible, I tried that out. Modulation is limited and the modulation tool does not have an input to be controlled by another modulator. But we can use the attenuverter as a voltage mixing tool. It will be a challenge again.

Regards.

VOLTAGE MODULAR TUTORIAL TEMPLATE

Dear friends. I am a big fan of VM and I do agree with Frank that it will be quite a challenge since we don't get a lot of tools to work with. However it's possible to create some wonderful music with it. I created a template containing all modules we are allowed to use and added some of my favourite freebies that I use quite often. Most probably VM will download those for you after you have opened the preset. I hope this template will help you while getting to know VM.

I divided the template into 3 cabinets:

Cabinet 1: This is a basic synth patch with delay, reverb and a stereo widener (FX are freebies)
Cabinet 2: These are the VM native modules we are allowed to use (these have not been patched)
Cabinet 3: Some nice free modules. On the CA website you can browse for more free modules by ordering them all starting at the lowest price https://store.cherryaudio.com/modules

You can download the template from the bottom of my homepage (which is still under construction)
http://thesoundofmerlin.com/ (copy the preset into User>AppData>Roaming>Voltage>Presets>... for Windows users)

There are great tutorials on YouTube on how to work with VM. If you still need some help, I will be glad to help you out if I know the answer to your question. Write me a PM if so. Cheers and happy patching!

The Sound Of Merlin wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:48 am VOLTAGE MODULAR TUTORIAL TEMPLATE...
Thank you very much for this great template. You made a nice Blade Runner sound. Fits probably to Synthwave songs as well. The Mini-LFO is indeed much better than the standard LFO.

Return to “Instruments”