Anyone got or tested out the Sequential Pro3?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://youtu.be/b9UxnbGszaY
Looks interesting. Probably a little more than I was envisaging spending, but this one might go onto the "later this year at some time" list. I've been mulling over a few polysynths but actually given up lusting after them as I really don't need analogue pads, and most of what I do is mono based. Somehow I never had or got interested in Sequential, though I remember wanting a Pro-One back in the day. I've checked out the Behringer Pro-One and it doesn't live up to my nostalgia. But some of the recent Pro-series looks enticing. I especially like the in-depth stuff that seems to be on board, filter drive and various ways of grunging it up. The mod matrix looks extensive and it really does look good and looks like it's built very well. A dedicated full mono monster appeals (although I guess the paraphonic stuff could have its uses too).

Anyone have any experience on the new Prophet synths? Does the filter have decent character (the demo didn't really go into depth on that - some of his fiddling made it sound a bit ho-hum IMO).

Not even sure it's on sale here in NZ, I'll have to search - I'd definitely want to demo it before dropping that amount of cash.

Yes, I’ve tried it in a store. It likes to be very aggressive but isn’t required to be. The mod matrix is crazy - way more than I’d ever use (32 slots…. I’ve never used more than 3-4 in software that can do 96+ modulations).

Red Means Recording and Rickey Tinez have excellent videos on it. I found a more expensive mono I love even more (that’s also not as wide because it has no keys).

I got the Pro 3 SE last August. It represents the best of what is possible with modern technology in an analog synthesizer with it's mod matrix, multiple filters, and OLED display.

What you can't see is the keyboard is much better than the one my Moog from 2006 had. They also recently added to the wavetables available on OSC3.
The negatives are few, but I think the 4 pole ladder filter is really only good if you want to add filter distortion. The knobs feel a bit cheap compared to the ones on a Sub 37. And the sequencer can not chain patterns together even though you have an A - B - C - D buttons right there on the panel. I've asked for this feature on a future firmware update.

It’s probably one of my favorite synths of all time and I have or had a lot. It can do such a wide range of sounds that can compete with all
top synths… it’s crazy. i have the regular version which looks and feels a bit cheap and I don’t like the fx at all, but the rest is very good. Must have for me as I don’t know any other synth that could replace it.

Thanks. What's the difference between the standard and SE version? And can the sequencer be used for synth movements (i.e. knob tweaks) or only note sequencing? The Opsix sequencer blew me away how it can be used to sequence pretty well anything on the whole synth, not just notes - would be a big bonus if the Pro3 sequencer does this also.

The Pro3's sequencer can modulate parameters. It's a lot of fun to use the sequencer along side the patch morphing features.

I love my Pro3. It's a great mono synth for bass but it does so much more. In a project I'm working on now, I'm using it to process guitar, the way I used to use my Evolver.

kritikon wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:07 pm Thanks. What's the difference between the standard and SE version?
SE version has real wood (walnut) panels and trim instead of a plastic case and panels. The front panel itself is hinged and can be placed at multiple angles. Additionally, the front panel is silk screen printed and not a sticker overlay. All of the differences are external and not internal.

The SE is beautiful for sure, but YMMV on whether or not that's worth the additional price. I went with the standard edition and have no regrets, but the price difference was more significant at the time. IIRC there was around a $600 premium for the SE, but pricing has changed quite a bit since its release with even the standard edition costing quite a bit more and closer to the SE.

I have the standard, it’s a bit plastic (overlay and knobs) but well built, I don’t think it’s the prettiest of synths, but I also think it’s reasonably priced for what it is…I have a lot to learn on this beast, but it sounds great and is pretty much 1 knob per function so it’s a joy to use…
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

OK thanks - I've seen a pic of the one with the flip top panel - looks nice but not sure I'd spend a huge amount extra for that. I'll have to check out the pricing.

Thanks Justin...sequencer is a proper one and patch morphing - mmmm sounds good. I don't know of too many hw synths that do that. All of the Korg ones have smooth patch change but not really morphing.

Had a search for stockists/prices... :-o Holy crapamoly! First one I hit on was $4400. Nearly spat out my coffee. For that I could get a PolyBrute or a Prophet rev2, top drawer Novation or summat, or a shitload of other stuff. Actually worked it out - I could buy a Minilogue, Deepmind12, MonoPoly, Cat and some kind of Dreadbox for $4.4k. Or substitute the Cat/Dreadbox for a Korg Odyssey (seem to have been big price drops on those as well).

Not an awful lot of competition in NZ but finally found one that was $3000 which is a whole lot more realistic (recently some hefty price drops on this supplier, not surprisingly as they'd sell a grand total of none at $4.4k). I can consider that price. Have to say that it still seems expensive. Could not find any SE versions in NZ, so no idea what price.

I dunno, I might just get a MonoPoly and sit tight and mull over it. Having said that - no MonoPolys in stock in NZ at the mo'. Bah! Prolly no f**king Prophets in stock either! Scumgussets! :x

A big positive though...there's a ton of very good analogues available nowadays. A great time to be a keyboard nerd with disposable income. :D

kritikon wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:21 am Had a search for stockists/prices... :-o Holy crapamoly! First one I hit on was $4400. Nearly spat out my coffee. For that I could get a PolyBrute or a Prophet rev2, top drawer Novation or summat, or a shitload of other stuff. Actually worked it out - I could buy a Minilogue, Deepmind12, MonoPoly, Cat and some kind of Dreadbox for $4.4k. Or substitute the Cat/Dreadbox for a Korg Odyssey (seem to have been big price drops on those as well).

Not an awful lot of competition in NZ but finally found one that was $3000 which is a whole lot more realistic (recently some hefty price drops on this supplier, not surprisingly as they'd sell a grand total of none at $4.4k). I can consider that price. Have to say that it still seems expensive. Could not find any SE versions in NZ, so no idea what price.

I dunno, I might just get a MonoPoly and sit tight and mull over it. Having said that - no MonoPolys in stock in NZ at the mo'. Bah! Prolly no f**king Prophets in stock either! Scumgussets! :x

A big positive though...there's a ton of very good analogues available nowadays. A great time to be a keyboard nerd with disposable income. :D
I’d choose a SE-3X over a Pro3, but I’m not sure of the price/availability where you are. It’s only $100 more than the Pro3SE in the US, which I see now is barely more than the standard model (which a month or two ago was around $1500 instead of $2000).

It’s a rack unit though, not a standard synth. You give up a fancy mod matrix (which I’d never fully leverage) and sequencer, but get even thicker analog sound and even more filters than the Pro3 has. The Pro3 has a very full feature set.

vitocorleone123 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:55 pm I’d choose a SE-3X over a Pro3, but I’m not sure of the price/availability where you are.
Just got a like-new Pro 3 (standard) with a Decksaver for $1300! It’s parked between my Subsequent 37 and SE-1X (w/3X eprom upgrade). It’s funny, the reason I held off on the Pro 3 for so long was because I convinced myself it would be too redundant with my other monos, but I was waaayyyy off. As Justin mentioned, the Pro 3 is much more similar to my old PEK and MEKs than it is to my Moogs or SE-1X.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

cryophonik wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:54 am
vitocorleone123 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:55 pm I’d choose a SE-3X over a Pro3, but I’m not sure of the price/availability where you are.
Just got a like-new Pro 3 (standard) with a Decksaver for $1300! It’s parked between my Subsequent 37 and SE-1X (w/3X eprom upgrade). It’s funny, the reason I held off on the Pro 3 for so long was because I convinced myself it would be too redundant with my other monos, but I was waaayyyy off. As Justin mentioned, the Pro 3 is much more similar to my old PEK and MEKs than it is to my Moogs or SE-1X.
A Pro3 desktop would've been tempting. I'm all full up now with no space left (even if/when I had the budget). But I'd still have picked an SE-3X over it if I could only pick one.

vitocorleone123 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:56 pm A Pro3 desktop would've been tempting. I'm all full up now with no space left (even if/when I had the budget).
Yeah, I'm still trying to figure out where to put this and my new Jomox Alpha Base that UPS just dropped off today. First World problems at its finest. :clown:
vitocorleone123 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:56 pm But I'd still have picked an SE-3X over it if I could only pick one.
My SE-1X/3X is my fav mono synth ever, just for pure tone. The Pro 3 is way up there already, though, in terms of options and range. I'm expecting a very long honeymoon period with it, then we'll see where things land.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Love my Pro 3 :tu:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”