Morse code like sound spoiling recordings

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I listened also - there a quite notice resonance. The low frequency flutter (what I noticed) is coming from the sound source(s) they need only to be a few hertz difference between a tones and/or their harmonics and you'll hear low frequency phasing...

The sounds. Tones are constantly drifiting, when in phase, the tones seem louder, when out of phase, they seem less, and the difference in phase is very small

bookofthoth wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:32 pm Just another quick reply, the sound is still there on high frequency tracks, da da dadada da da da dadada etc. That's through the speakers, headphone testing later.
You´ll definitely want to export this to an audio file, that you can listen to on your mobile phone, for instance. And if that sounds good, I´d say that there´s a problem with using ASIO4All. However, it´s not clear which application you´re using when listening to it after export. Are you using your DAW-software for that as well?
What does youtube sound like on your system? Just some random song, that you know has no morse code in it.
I think I experimented with Asio4All many years ago, and it sometimes happened that it would produce crackling sounds till I restarted it.
But anyway, if youtube has no crackling, I´d say that this is all about not having a half-decent card with dedicated ASIO drivers. You may want to see if you can get a cheap 2nd hand card. Since your budget is limited, I´m not really sure what to recommend, but perhaps something from Behringer? That can only be better than your current setup.

Edit: Just googled, and Behringer is using ASIO4All!
Best Regards

Roman Empire

Roman Empire wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:07 am
bookofthoth wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:32 pm Just another quick reply, the sound is still there on high frequency tracks, da da dadada da da da dadada etc. That's through the speakers, headphone testing later.
You´ll definitely want to export this to an audio file, that you can listen to on your mobile phone, for instance. And if that sounds good, I´d say that there´s a problem with using ASIO4All. However, it´s not clear which application you´re using when listening to it after export. Are you using your DAW-software for that as well?
What does youtube sound like on your system? Just some random song, that you know has no morse code in it.
Youtube sounds ok. I am using Reaper as my DAW , and have experimented with different buffer settings for ASIO4All. After testing with headphones, I can say that it must be my speaker setup or this low frequency phasing as mentioned in a reply above. I can kind of hear it slightly in headphones, I'll have to try playing it back on something else as you say. Unless it is some kind of tinnitus. I asked my gf to listen, and she couldn't hear it, but then said she could, so that wasn't much help.
I think I experimented with Asio4All many years ago, and it sometimes happened that it would produce crackling sounds till I restarted it.
But anyway, if youtube has no crackling, I´d say that this is all about not having a half-decent card with dedicated ASIO drivers. You may want to see if you can get a cheap 2nd hand card. Since your budget is limited, I´m not really sure what to recommend, but perhaps something from Behringer? That can only be better than your current setup.

That's a shame, but maybe it isn't ASIO4All ? I got some crackling but that went when I increased buffer size. Latency isn't a problem, so increased and the crackling went away. Thanks for your reply. :)
Why not try some amazing fractal graphics for your art? I've got a site all about them at JWildfire Sanctuary

N/m
Amazon: why not use an alternative

bookofthoth wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:36 am
Roman Empire wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:07 am
Youtube sounds ok. I am using Reaper as my DAW , and have experimented with different buffer settings for ASIO4All. After testing with headphones, I can say that it must be my speaker setup or this low frequency phasing as mentioned in a reply above. I can kind of hear it slightly in headphones, I'll have to try playing it back on something else as you say. Unless it is some kind of tinnitus. I asked my gf to listen, and she couldn't hear it, but then said she could, so that wasn't much help.

That's a shame, but maybe it isn't ASIO4All ? I got some crackling but that went when I increased buffer size. Latency isn't a problem, so increased and the crackling went away. Thanks for your reply. :)
Ok, let´s hear how it goes. I don´t reply to many threads here (less than 1k in about 20 years), so I pay special attention when I do :D
Best Regards

Roman Empire

Well I'm honoured that you have, I don't get involved too much either. Ran my own forum about 10 yrs ago, and was a nightmare trying to keep up with.

Ok, so results are in.. I can still hear this sound with headphones. Was just fluke when I thought I couldn't to begin with. I don't know what the pattern is that creates this. Different DAW, Plugin/ Sound frequencies etc. When I get to it, I'll do another demo of a track, see if anyone can hear the same. I'm beginning to suspect it is my ears. I create ambient and the tranquility of the track is spoiled by this. I don't hear it, if I listen to prerecorded music on the same system, so maybe it's something I'm doing wrong with the audio setup. Which is another story, how audio drivers are stopping midi input? I use loopmidi which isn't sending out from Wotja. Anyway that's a subject for a different thread. Thanks for reading anyone, and apologies for lack of coherent descriptions of this problem.
Why not try some amazing fractal graphics for your art? I've got a site all about them at JWildfire Sanctuary

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”