Is the Marantz PMD620 recorder still worth it or is it obsolete?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm not even sure if this is the right forum so excuse me but here goes.

Since I'm travelling with my iPad and acoustic guitar I'd literally yesterday just bought a used Rode NT-USB mic along with a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro cans to record some songs, either out playing live in nature or the mountains or -especially now in winter- in my temporary accommodations and try to see if I can polish up the tracks a bit.

Today much to my surprise someone heard me play and gave me his old but functional Marantz PMD620 for free.

It's a great little light and handy tool and from what I've read it was much appreciated -although especially by for eg. journalists and field recordings (which should fit my idea of recording outside sometimes).

I'm just wondering if it has any benefits or even value over my newly acquired gear or that I could use it in a different context. I know it's 24 vs 16 bits, has a stereo mic and probably would do better outside as it seems less sensitive. Also it weighs nothing but I wonder if the technique isn't long surpassed by the iPad and Rhodes. It's a bit of a hassle with SD-cards and tracking can be done on my iPad.

It's also that I see these things still sell on EBay for £450 or so. This makes me wonder who, why and what?

Has anyone ever used one of these or can say something about it comparatively? I was delighted with the gesture of getting it in terms of appreciation but really don't know if I can use it or should trade it for a new pickup or so.
Win8.1 64x/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC222/Washburn D12/Ch. Les Paul/Behringer BCF2000 & BCR2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT 2020/2xB5/E825s/Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502

I think the bonus of such a recorder is the ease of use. It does one thing, and does it really well. And an iPad barely fits in a pocket, this unit does.

It's a shame you cannot plug in the Rode mic into the Marantz recorder. Or can you?
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

The Marantz has a 1/8 jack mic input so I should be able to plug in the Rode using an £9 adapter.

It's true that the mobility of the Marantz is a great plus. On the other hand the hassle of getting the recording from an SD card to a laptop then to an iPad is tedious. Worth it if the quality would be a lot better (it is in that the Marantz is 24 bit vs 16 bit for the Rode). I just don't know if there are other factors I overlook. Like the technology of the Marantz is 10+ years old. Is there quality lost in processing? And if not what would I gain as opposed to selling it and getting a proper DI pickup for my guitar?
Win8.1 64x/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC222/Washburn D12/Ch. Les Paul/Behringer BCF2000 & BCR2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT 2020/2xB5/E825s/Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502

Hmmm...
rode.com NT-USB wrote: Power Requirements:
USB

Output Connection:
USB and 3.5mm headphone
So you're thinking of putting an adapter inbetween the Rode mic headphone out and the Marantz mic in? The mic then still needs power over USB. With a USB powerbank? More stuff to carry & connect...

However a Line input, you can connect that with the Headphone outputs of any device, provided it's not too loud. Done that plenty times. Electrically it's fine, I've done the calculations, the voltage is in the right ballpark and nothing will blow up.

Regarding quality, imo there's only one way to find out: try some and compare. Measure the signal and noise levels if you must. Any audio editor will give you the numbers.

If you are having troubles in hearing a difference, then either way is good.

Regarding 24 vs 16 bit: I'm in the camp that says 16bit recordings are good enough for professional sounding results. The performance and all you do with it to get the end product have magnitudes more influence.

Hmm.. Hadn't thought about the power. Good point. I was thinking this USB female to 1/8 jack: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-3-5mm- ... 166&sr=8-3

I'm not sure I follow you. Are you suggesting I should get a line from the headphones out on the Rode into the mic or headphone in of the Marantz?

You're right the real proof in the pudding is in eating it. And for my skills and needs 16 bit would very likely more than suffice. I might keep the Marantz around although maybe I will see what I can get for it on EBay as used ones apparently still go for £350 and a nice piëzo would do wonders for my live guitar playing in bars.

Forget that adapter, it won't work: "U-Disk/USB Flash Drive" only.

I've seen pics of the Marantz recorder with Line input next to Mic input, both 1/8". Your model is different?

The proper thing is ask the prev owner whether he wants to have it back because you're selling it. He gave it because you could use it. Selling for cash to me is not ok.

I see the adapter specs only just now. You're right. I only meant to illustrate that I could use a USB to 1/8 jack to plug my Rode into the dedicated mic input. It's not XLR so the conversion should work.

I have 'line input' yes. It's for audio devices or an amplifier so I still don't understand what you mean by using it.

As for the moral judgement, ask first before you start asuming and jump to conclusions. An old yet very wealthy man heard me play in a local bar and asked if I had some recordings and I explained I've been on the road for five years now with only a guitar, a backpack and an iPad for which I just bought a used Rode NT mic. Next day he gave me the Marantz which he'd used to record meetings when he was still a solicitor and as it was only collecting dust he wanted me to have it. I explained I probably had no use for it as it seemed outdated and I'm traveling light but he insisted I'd take it, sell it or bin it, basically do whatever the f**k I wanted with it as he would've thrown it away otherwise.

So I'm sorry if me maybe selling the Marantz hurts your feelings but that's really your problem and based on a completely false and imaginary representation of the circumstances. I weclome any technical advice here on KVR but I don't need any moral guidance, especially when it's based on one's uniformed opinion.

On a more positive moral progression: being the fourth, the fifth, the minor fall and the major lift, the sound quality of the Marantz is actually quite good so maybe I'll keep it after all😉

Spiritos wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:48 pm As for the moral judgement, ask first before you start asuming and jump to conclusions.
Maybe removing the list of equipment in your signature would remove part of the cause of those assumptions.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Hmm, hadn't noticed that. That's quite a list of bona fide recording equipment the OP has for an impoverished traveller relying on the beneficence of wealthy donors...

kritikon wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:38 pm Hmm, hadn't noticed that. That's quite a list of bona fide recording equipment the OP has for an impoverished traveller relying on the beneficence of wealthy donors...
I think its just out of date, and an unfortunate oversight in this context; if you look, they were an intermittently active poster up until about 2017 or so.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Neither comments about my gear have anything to do with the circumstances of that gift as clearly explained but perhaps that does require an academic level of thinking (yes I have a Masters Degree on top of that as well)

As for my gear, yes I have all that B/C quality top gear, along with some personal belongings, in storage, because I lost my job, my house, my home and my wife in a fire . The very reason for me travelling for five years now, with a backpack and guitar, working on farms, smallholdings, charity (work for food), hospitality, busking, throughout Europe.

I am not responsible for other's assumptions, their intellectual limitations or inability to read or deduct text properly. But I suppose that's too hard for you all to understand currently sitting behind your desk in a warm home, hand in a bag of chips and judging lives and situations you know nothing about.

Munch on, stay ignorant, biased and judgemental. I got my answer, DM me if you want to buy a Marantz PMD620. Or, as Mark Twain put it 'don't reason with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience'. :wink:

Anyways, that Rode mic of yours. It's main output and power source is USB. It needs to be connected to a USB host in order to work: a computer or tablet or similar.
I never saw a dedicated adapter which takes a class-compliant USB audio device and outputs its audio analog again. Do prove me wrong, but I think there's no market for it.

What is guaranteed to work is simply take a 1/8" stereo patch cable and connect "headphone" of the mic with "line in" of the recorder. No adapters & converters needed, only some power over usb.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”