Sparsity as a compositional virtue . . .

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Long story short: I'm in search of tunes (vocal or instrumental) that exhibit maximum catchiness, brevity, and a sense of having everything in its place—extra clout if it's 100% electronic, but that's not essential—I'm looking to study/learn/imitate. For example, if someone asked me for such things I might recommend "Words" by Missing Persons or just about anything by Portishead. I might mention any of the big hits by The Fixx or Flock of Seagulls. Just good tunes with a plethora of eighth notes and melody. Big choruses are a plus.

Long story expanded: My personal goal is to move ahead a bit from my current state of things and start integrating earlier influences in my life like 90s trip hop, 80s goth (especially the surf-y influenced guitar tones and arpeggiated hooks) and a never-swerving attendant goal of straight up pop & rock arrangements with a proper bridge whenever possible—and all instrumental (though I may do a Vocaloid thing once or twiced or thrice). I love 80s pop a lot these days, synthwave, and tunes like Gunship's "Ghost." I'd love to find new things that would serve as reference mixes, inspiration, and the usual joy of finding bands that I have moved other people that also spend too much on gear. haha. :help:
Last edited by Shane Sanders on Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Is there a music theory question in there somewhere?

Isn't composition almost all about theory? Even things like instrumentation. But, hey, enjoy the snark.

I'm just trying to understand what you are asking here

I'm asking for music recommendations that align with the attributes I've outlined. If you really need a stark music theory question: What makes a melody catchy?

Ah well if we knew that we would all be millionaires.
Look at Happy Birthday - as simple a tune as you can get but despite its banality it seems to be long lasting. Is it the simplicity - the small pitch range that allows everyone to sing along perhaps?
There is a basic functional harmony underlying it too - the I IV V that is the basis of hundreds of popular melodies and that seems to resonate so frequently.
Maybe the lyrics - would the tune have been as popular without them?
I guess others will chime in with opinions but it is virtually impossible to answer.

The Cars first album might fit the bill. Not surf music obviously but much like surf music there is a precision to it - nothing is loosey goosey, every phrase is clear and defined and melodious. It has corners. And definitely an album geared towards being catchy and and easy to listen to - for example while driving around. There is much clarity there. Nothing too fiddly or too subtle. Like that?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGz1k-L ... 1GrtnVYCOA

It's pretty hard to top this though. Less than 33 minutes,12 songs, and every single one of them a catchy gem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQqK1CjE9bA

EdwardGivens wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:35 am The Cars first album might fit the bill. Not surf music obviously but much like surf music there is a precision to it - nothing is loosey goosey, every phrase is clear and defined and melodious. It has corners. And definitely an album geared towards being catchy and and easy to listen to - for example while driving around. There is much clarity there. Nothing too fiddly or too subtle. Like that?
Yeah, that's a great example of what I'm looking for, especially how all their interlocking parts are working together to propel things along. And, like you mentioned, the production is so clean.

OK -
Tom Petty then. Same aesthetic. Clean, tight, and melodious.

https://youtu.be/nvlTJrNJ5lA

Farnaby wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:55 am Ah well if we knew that we would all be millionaires.
Look at Happy Birthday - as simple a tune as you can get but despite its banality it seems to be long lasting. Is it the simplicity - the small pitch range that allows everyone to sing along perhaps?
There is a basic functional harmony underlying it too - the I IV V that is the basis of hundreds of popular melodies and that seems to resonate so frequently.
Maybe the lyrics - would the tune have been as popular without them?
I guess others will chime in with opinions but it is virtually impossible to answer.
well, as most people don't realise, they aren't the original lyrics, i guess the answer is no.
it was originally written by a teacher, as "good morning to you" to the class :)

I just discovered Cannons today, so that was a nice find—I dig how they mix the singer back quite often like she's trapped in a world of smoke: https://youtu.be/bzZjG9B9_Ug

vurt wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:47 pm
well, as most people don't realise, they aren't the original lyrics, i guess the answer is no.
it was originally written by a teacher, as "good morning to you" to the class :)
Interesting thanks. I suspect that 'Happy Birthday' gave it a new lease of life though.

I am interested in sparsity too lately or what I would call minimalism. Probably not in the same genres though.

I find interesting about the Hyperpop genre which incorporates at lot of the sparseness of 2000s Hip Hop superproducers like the Neptunes and Timbaland with the bombastic choruses of 2000s teen pop is the use of silence and space.

Hyperpop songs are kinetic and propulsive yet 8 dimensional.

Arca uses silence and space well too.

I had to look up Hyperpop and then spend some time on Youtube, but I encountered things to learn from. Thanks!

Return to “Music Theory”